In honor of National Latinx Heritage Month, Manhattan College will host several events this fall, including a visit from Manhattan College alumni and CEO of Nuveen, Jose Minaya ’94, and a Latin dance class series held by Fuerza Latina.
Minaya, a Manhattan College alumnus and CEO of Nuveen, a TIAA company, will return to his alma mater to discuss his work and accomplishments as a prominent business executive. Minaya is also an executive sponsor for the inclusion and diversity initiatives at TIAA. Proud of his Dominican heritage, Minaya’s lecture will be held Wednesday, September 21, at noon in De La Salle Hall, room 300. Refreshments and appetizers will be served. Passport points will be awarded to business students and all are welcome to attend.
Weekly activities will also be held throughout the month. These include Fuerza Latina’s Latin dance class series and Friday Funday Trivia.
The complete schedule of events include:
- Thursday, Sept. 15: The first event is the Latino/a/x Heritage Month Opening Dinner at the Multicultural Center. This event will showcase and celebrate culture through art, music and food. This year, students will share testimonials about what it means to be part of the culture. Administrators and faculty will share their sources of inspiration. The event will also feature two dance groups and student performances. The event is free and begins at 6 p.m.
- Friday, Sept. 16th: Every Friday, members of the community can participate in weekly Friday Trivia and this week it’s all about Hispanic Heritage. The trivia series held weekly at the multicultural center will incorporate Latinx themes throughout the month.
- Tuesday, Sept. 20: Fuerza Latina student leaders will be holding a Latina’s meet, greet and mingle (aka Cafecito Hour) from 3:30-4:30 p.m. at the Multicultural Center. Come meet and re-connect with other Latinx students on campus and learn more about all the wonderful events Fuerza Latina has in store for the 2022-2023 academic year. Food, music and laughter assured.
- Wednesday, Sept. 21: Jose Minaya ’94, CEO of Nuveen, will discuss his successful business career at noon in De La Salle Hall, room 300. Refreshments and appetizers will be served. Passport points will be awarded to business students. All are welcome.
- Friday, Sept. 23: Students are invited for a viewing of the film Caminates in Kelly Commons, Room 2.03 (Social Action Suite) at noon. The film documents the plight of millions of Venezuelans seeking to escape the economic and political instability of their homeland. The film details the ramifications the Covid-19 pandemic had on Venezuelans who took the road to search for a better life and a new home.
- Wednesday, Sept. 28: The Mass of Thanksgiving will be held at noon in the Chapel of De La Salle and His Brothers. The community is invited to praise God in the Eucharist for Hispanic Heritage at Manhattan College.
- Tuesday, Oct. 4: Twirl and spin your way into the week with Fuerza Latina’s Latin dance class series. Meet new friends and get your cardio on with these interactive dance classes taught by Giovanni Mendoza. No dance experience or partner required. Classes will be held every Tuesday from 3:30 - 4:15pm starting October 4.
- Wednesday, Oct. 12th: Manhattan College student, Diego Santos will present as part of the Tiny Talk series. The tiny talker presents a topic and then leaves the room. After he leaves, the audience uses the principles of intercultural communication to have a conversation about that topic.