Sigma Tau Delta is an international honor society open to distinguished students and scholars of English. The society strives to:
- provide cultural stimulation on college campuses and promote interest in literature and the English language in surrounding communities
- foster all aspects of the discipline of English, including literature, language, and writing
- promote exemplary character and good fellowship among its members
- exhibit high standards of academic excellence
- serve society by fostering literacy
The Manhattan College chapter, Beta Pi, was established in 1981. Today, it is one of the most active honor societies on campus. Each semester, Sigma Tau Delta members participate in a read-aloud event on the Quad where great works of literature are read for the campus community.
To qualify for membership, undergraduates must have:
- declared a major or minor in English
- completed at least three semesters of college work
- completed a minimum of two college courses in literature in addition to the usual core curriculum requirements
- earned at least a B average in English
- achieved a rank in the highest 35% of their class in general scholarship
Maeve Adams, Ph.D.