About the School of Engineering
The vision of the school of engineering gives broad direction to long-term goals, i.e.:
The Manhattan College School of Engineering will be the school of choice for engineering education in the New York metropolitan region.
This means that the college will be the destination of choice when students apply to engineering schools. In order to realize this vision, every program in the school will develop curricula which attract and excite students while supporting the mission of the school.
The mission of the Manhattan College School of Engineering is to prepare each student for a productive and rewarding career in engineering or a related profession.
The curriculum instills the techniques and skills of engineering design through the study of basic and advanced engineering science. This foundation is integrated with practice-oriented engineering design experience that addresses both technical and non-technical aspects of engineering. Students earning a Manhattan College engineering degree are prepared to enter the world of professional practice and to continue their studies through the pursuit of post-baccalaureate education.
The strong foundation, coupled with thorough preparation in an engineering discipline, permits each student lifelong access to rapidly developing new technologies and prepares each to be a citizen, an advocate and a leader in the complex world of the 21st century.
Engineering at Manhattan was initially developed out of a science program, in coordination with liberal arts. In 1892, civil engineering and electrical engineering were among four curricula leading to the Bachelor of Science Degree. Civil engineering has continued uninterrupted from that time. In 1927, Manhattan became a member of the American Society of Civil Engineering. Electrical engineering, suspended shortly after its introduction, was re-established as a degree program in 1935 following a grant of $35,000 from General Electric to equip a laboratory. In 1961, the school purchased an old Fanny Farmer factory located on Corlear Avenue and 240th Street in The Bronx near the main campus. The building houses 145,000 square feet of classroom and lab facilities: facilities for the newly inaugurated master’s program in environmental engineering, two freshmen physics laboratories, a chemistry laboratory, the Grover M. Hermann Laboratory, and a cafeteria. Curricula in mechanical engineering, chemical engineering and environmental engineering were introduced in 1957, 1958 and 1993, respectively, followed by computer engineering in 1998.