Department : Government
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone : 718-862-7943
Office : MGL 426
PHD, CUNY: The Graduate Center
BA, Harvard and Radcliffe Colleges
- I am currently doing research on the organizing efforts against foreclosures and for more accountable banking practices in various communities across the country.
- I also have a continuing interest in voter suppression activities, especially the use of fraud claims and list purging to disenfranchise voters.
- Adjunct Instructor, Lehman College, 1992-1999
- Community Organizer, Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition, 1985-89
- Legislative Correspondent, Congressman Charles Schumer, 1983-84
- American Political Science Association
- Peace and Justice Studies Association (member of the Board and former Co-chair)
- American Association of University Professors
- Board member, Project Vote
Publications & Professional Activities
- Frances Fox Piven, Lorraine Minnite and Margaret Groarke. Keeping Down the Black Vote: Race and the Demobilization of the American Voter. New York: New Press, 2009.
- “Still Hoping for Change: Immigration Policy Under Obama” in Grading the 44th President: A Report Card on Barack Obama's First Term as a Progressive Leader, forthcoming.
- “Organizing Against Targets Beyond the Neighborhood,” New Political Science, June 2004.
- “Organizing Against Overfinancing: The Northwest Bronx Coalition campaign against Freddie Mac” Bronx County Historical Society Journal (Fall 2002).
- “Keepin’ it Real: Community Organizing in the Bronx”, with Jordan Moss, in Ben Shepard and Ron Hayduk, eds. From ACT UP to the WTO: Urban Protest and Community Building in the Era of Globalization. New York: Verso Books, 2002.
- "Power, Agency and Structure: An Examination of Steven Lukes." New Political Science. Winter 1994.
- “Treme [popular culture review]” New Political Science, Volume 33, Issue 2, 2011
- “A Taste of Power: A review of Going Public by Michael Gecan” City Limits, January 2003.
- “[Book Review] Social Movements and American Political Institutions”, Mobilization Spring 2001.
- “America First Party” and “Constitution Party”, in The Encyclopedia of Third Parties in America, Immanuel Ness and James Ciment, eds. New York: M.E. Sharpe, 2000.
- “Race to the Bottom: A review of The Campaign: Rudy Giuliani, Ruth Messinger, Al Sharpton and the Race to be Mayor of New York City, by Evan J. Mandery,” City Limits, May 2000.
- With Lorraine Minnite, “Purging Voter Lists Under the National Voter Registration Act” Presented at the Midwest Political Science Association, April 2009.
- “A Preliminary Examination of Purging under the NVRA” Presented at the annual meeting of the American Political Science Association, August 30, 2008.
- “Vote Fraud: The Impact of Perceptions, Realities and Research on Voter Registration Reform.” Presented at the annual meeting of the American Political Science Association, September 2004.
- “Organizing Against Overfinancing” Presented at the annual meeting of the Peace and Justice Studies Association meeting, October 2003.
- "Using Community Power Against Targets Beyond the Neighborhood" Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Political Science Association, Philadelphia, PA, August 2003.
- “Vote Fraud: The Impact of Perceptions, Realities, and Research on Election Law Policymaking” presented at the American Political Science Association meeting, August 2002.
- “NVRA, Competitiveness and Turnout: Preliminary Analysis of the 2000 Election.” Presented at the annual meeting of the [regional] Midwest Political Science Association Meeting, April 26, 2002.
- “Setting the Stage for National Voter Registration Reform” presented at the Northeast Political Science Association meeting, November 1999.
- My “Practicing Empowerment” class is a service-learning experience for students; they assist in organizing with the Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition, while learning about organizing in class.
- I am an active citizen, as I encourage my students to be, of the college, the local community, and the national community. Locally, I am an active member of the Fort Independence Park Neighborhood Association and the Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition.
GOVT 150 Roots: Government
GOVT 207 Introduction to Peace Studies
GOVT 306 The United States Presidency
GOVT 320 United States Parties, Public Opinion, and Voting Behavior
GOVT 330 Western Europe Politics
GOVT 332 Central and Eastern Europe
GOVT 490 Albany Session Internship
GOVT 491 Washington Center Course
GOVT 494 American University Seminar Program
LLRN 121 Roots: Government
PEAC 201 Introduction to Peace Studies
PEAC 451 Peace Field Project
SOC 319 Practicing Empowerment