Jordan Pascoe, PHD
Jordan Pascoe, PHD
Department : Philosophy
Email : email@example.com
Phone : 718-862-7326
Office : DLS 435
PHD, CUNY: The Graduate Center
MA, CUNY: The Graduate Center
MPHIL, CUNY: The Graduate Center
BA, New York University
Political Philosophy, Ethics, African Philosophy, Feminist Philosophy, Critical Race Theory, Philosophy and Colonialism, Immanuel Kant
Visiting Assistant Professor, Manhattan College, 2012-Present
Adjunct Lecturer, John Jay College and Hunter College, CUNY 2004-2011
Courses Taught: Political Philosophy, Ethics and Law, Community and Responsibility in Post-Revolutionary South Africa, Ethics and Superheroes, Marriage in the 21st Century, Philosophy and the Rule of Law
Publications & Professional Activities
- "Engagement, Domesticity, and Market-Based Metaphors in Kant's Rechtslehre." Women's Studies Quarterly, Fall 2013.
- "Personhood, Protection, and Promiscuity: Some thoughts on Kant, Mothers, and Infanticide." APA Newsletter on Feminist Philosophy, 2011.
- “Kant and Kinky Sex.” In What Philosophy Can Tell You About Your Lover. Open Court Press, 2012.
- "Thinking from the Underside of Kant's Cosmopolitanism." Carribean Philosophical Association Annual Conference, November 2013.
- "From Biological Inferiority to Rightful Inequality." European Consortium for Political Research, September 2013.
- "Kant, Retributivism, and the Ethics of Dueling." Invited talk at West Point Academy, October 2013.
- "Kant's Concubines." New York Society for Women in Philosophy, July 2013.
- "Kant's Juridical Cosmopolitanism." North American Kant Society Biennial Conference, May 2013.
- "Why Kant’s Account of Marriage Can’t Morally Transform Sex." Society for the Philosophy of Love and Sex Panel at the Eastern Division of the American Philosophical Association, December 27-30, 2011, Marriott Wardman Park, Washington, DC.
- “Two Models of Exclusion: Institutional Racism and Cosmopolitan Thought.” Caribbean Philosophical Association 2011 Conference. Septemper 29-October 1st. Rutgers, New Jersey.
- “Marriage in Decolonial African Thought: Gender and Institutional Epistemologies.” Disciplining Sexuality, Unruly Performances: A Queer/Transgender/Feminist Theory Conference. Friday, May 27, 2011 University of California at Davis.
- “The Transformation of External Freedom: On Kant’s Third Sphere of Political Society.” PhiloSOPHIA Annual Conference. May 5-8, 2011. Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN.
- “Kant’s Raced Cosmopolitanism.” British Society for the History of Philosophy Annual Conference. March 29-31, 2011. University of Sussex, Brighton, UK.
- “Promiscuity, Personhood, and Protection: On Kant and Infanticide.” New York Society for Women in Philosophy Workshop. February 24, 2011. NYU, New York, NY.
Philosophy and Popular Culture
"How Not To Be A Slut (Even When Everyone Already Thinks You Are)." Veronica Mars and Philosophy. Wiley Press, 2014.
"Learning from Aliens." Ender's Game and Philosophy. Open Court Press, 2013.
"Telling Each Other Everything." How I Met Your Mother and Philosophy. Open Court Press, 2013.