Teacher Education Assistance for College & Higher Education (TEACH) Grant


The TEACH Grant is a federal program that strives to encourage teachers into high-need teaching areas in K-12 low-income schools. Qualifying education majors may receive up to $4,000 in federal grant per year. In exchange, a TEACH Grant recipient must work for four years as a full-time highly-qualified teacher, in a high-need field. The recipient must also secure employment in an eligible school receiving Title I assistance. 

Who May Benefit the Most:

  • Qualifying students who are dedicated to teaching a high-need subject area, and are seeking ways to finance their degree.
  • Qualifying students who are already borrowing unsubsidized Stafford, PLUS, and/or private loan funds toward their education.
  • Qualifying students who are interested in Teacher Loan Forgiveness (the TEACH Grant and Loan Forgiveness programs are separate opportunities, but share similar employment requirements).

TEACH Grant Award Chart

Net amounts are rounded to the dollar and depend upon finalized figures from the federal government during processing.

Revised 4/23/15: 

  • Due to the recent sequestration of federal funds, the U.S. Department of Education has advised all participating institutions of higher education, including Manhattan College, that all TEACH Grants first disbursed on or after 10/01/14 - 10/01/15 are reduced by 7.3% from the award amount for which the student would otherwise have been eligible.
  •  TEACH Grants first disbursed on or after 10/1/15 - 10/1/16 requires a reduction of 6.8% from the award amount for which the student would otherwise have been eligible.

Undergraduate Students









Full Time 12 credits $3,708 $1,854 $3,728 $1,864
Three-Quarter Time 9 credits $2,781 $1,390 $2,796 $1,398
Half Time 6 credits $1,854 $927 $1,864 $932
Less Than Half 3 credits $927 $463 $932 $466

Graduate Students





TEACH AMOUNT PER TERM at 6.8% reduction     




Full time 9-12 credits $3,708 $1,854 $3,728 $1,864
Half time 6 credits $1,854 $927 $1,864 $932
Less than Half Time 3 credits $927 $463 $932 $466

TEACH Grant Recipients Sign a Legally-Binding Contract to:

Recipient Responsibilities

  • Regular communication must be maintained between the student and the U.S. Department of Education before and after receiving the TEACH Grant. It is the student’s responsibility to respond to all requests for documentation and communicate properly with the U.S. Department of Education, especially at the end of each teaching service year. Those who are not employed as a teacher immediately after graduation must still submit an Intent to Teach form to the U.S. Dept. of Education.
  • Manhattan College is not liable to contact the student with reminders or updates after he or she graduates or leaves the qualifying program.
  • Failure to complete the teaching obligation, respond to requests for information, or properly document your teaching service will cause the TEACH Grant to be permanently converted to a loan with interest. Once this conversion takes place, it cannot be reversed. However, students may submit a written appeal to dispute an unanticipated conversion decision with Fedloan Servicing.
  • Teachers are responsible for gaining qualifying employment. 

Nonfulfillment of Teaching Service Requirements:

  • The TEACH Grant converts into a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan.
  • Interest (for 2015-2016, 4.29% fixed for undergraduates, and 5.84% fixed for graduate students) accrues from the date it was originally disbursed, even during the 6-month grace period, deferments, or forbearance.
  • It can never be reconverted back into grant status.
  • Delinquent and Defaulted TEACH Grant loans can result in being reported to the National Credit Bureaus, have negative impact on your credit score, and include other legal costs and fees.

General Eligibility

  • Must be a matriculated undergraduate or graduate student.
  • U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Complete the Online Entrance Counseling and Agreement to ServeFAFSA, and TEACH Grant form annually.
  • Be accepted and enrolled in an eligible high-need major at Manhattan College.
  • Meet one of the academic criteria below.

Academic Eligibility (meet one of the below conditions)

  • Earn a documented score of at least the 75th percentile on any section/part of the SAT or ACT (undergraduates only) 
  • OR earn and maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.25 out of 4.00 (graduate students will be assessed based on their cumulative undergraduate GPA).
  • In some circumstances, an undergraduate student who was homeschooled or otherwise does not qualify based on the above may have their high school-equivalent or prior college/university cumulative GPA converted to the College's 4.0 GPA scale. If the converted cumulative GPA is a 3.25, they may qualify for the first term but must then achieve a cumulative 3.25 GPA at the College in subsequent semesters. A copy of the official academic transcript is required.
  • Qualify as a current or retired teacher obtaining a master's degree in Special Education at Manhattan College.

Eligible Education Majors and Concentrations

Please review the teaching fields below. General and Elementary Education majors with qualifying concentration areas may also apply. However, please note that recipients cannot satisfy teaching requirements if employed to teach across various subjects. In addition, please consult the Teacher Shortage Area Nationwide Listing to determine whether your employing state and/or county has classroom grade level instruction restrictions.

High-Need Fields

  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • Foreign language
  • Bilingual education
  • English language acquisition
  • Special education
  • Reading specialist
  • Another field listed in the Teacher Shortage Area Nationwide Listing. If teaching in a field approved only on the Nationwide List, that field must be listed as high-need in your employing state at the start of your first year teaching. You can continue to satisfy TEACH Grant service requirements for the remaining years thereafter, even if your field is no longer considered to be high-need in your employing state.

How to Apply:

1) Meet eligibility requirements.

2) Complete the FAFSA.

3) Complete and submit the Online Entrance Counseling and the Agreement to Serve.

4) Complete Manhattan College’s application and submit materials to the Financial Aid Administration office. Only copies of official SAT/ACT score reports will be accepted. Online printouts are not considered valid when reviewing student eligibility for this federal grant.

What is the TEACH Grant program?

The TEACH Grant is a federal aid program established to encourage teachers to pursue employment in high-need, K-12 public schools. It allows for a federal grant of up to $4,000 per year for students in qualifying undergraduate and graduate programs in exchange for teaching as a full-time, highly-qualified teacher in a high-need field within a Title I school upon graduation. If the teaching service years are not fulfilled within eight years of graduating or leaving the qualifying program, the grant is converted into a Federal Direct unsubsidized Stafford loan with accrued interest, and must be repaid in full. Teachers are responsible for gaining employment within these parameters by themselves. Employment placement is not provided by the College.

How do I apply for a TEACH Grant?

Submit a FAFSA indicating an interest in the TEACH Grant, and fill out a Manhattan College TEACH Grant application. To receive the grant, you will also need to complete Online Counseling and an Agreement to Serve form. A financial aid counselor will review your application to determine your final eligibility. 

How often do I have to apply or reapply?

You will need to complete the TEACH Grant application steps annually, preferably in the summer (before the start of the Fall semester) or winter (before the start of the Spring semester).

Why are only certain undergraduate programs of study eligible?

The U.S. Department of Education predetermines which programs are designated as national subject areas of high-need. Manhattan College abides by limited regulations to accept students who enter clear paths toward receiving a teaching license in a high-need area.

How are the high-need teaching areas determined?

The U.S. Department of Education determines certain high-need fields that are eligible, regardless of academic year or state. Additionally, each year, each state establishes high-need areas to meet their particular needs (see: Teacher Shortage Area Nationwide Listing). The Annual Directory of Designated Low-Income Schools for Teacher Cancellation Benefits also contains an updated listing of eligible schools receiving Title I assistance nationwide.

Can I qualify for TEACH Grants as an undergraduate and graduate student?

Yes, eligible students may receive up to $4,000 per year with cap limits of $16,000 as an undergraduate student and $8,000 as a graduate student, as long as you are enrolled in qualifying programs, submit all required materials annually, and meet the academic criteria required.

What are the academic qualifications to get or keep a TEACH Grant?

Students must have at least a 3.25 GPA for each payment period; OR have a score above the 75th percentile on one section of an admissions test such as the SAT, ACT or GRE. In addition, you must annually complete a FAFSAEntrance Counseling and Agreement to Serve.

What are my obligations as a TEACH recipient?

Recipients must teach full-time for four years in a high-need subject area in a low-income school within eight years of graduation or leaving the College. If you fail to do this, your TEACH Grant(s) reverts into an unsubsidized Stafford loan, with interest accruing from when the funds were first disbursed to your student account.

What happens if I change majors?

If you change majors to one ineligible for a TEACH Grant, you will not receive the grant for that semester. Furthermore, if you graduate and do not pursue the teaching requirements, the grant is converted to an unsubsidized Stafford loan with interest calculated from the date of disbursement. You are still held responsible for fulfilling the teaching service years or repaying the unsubsidized Stafford loan despite having left the qualifying program.

How do I cancel my TEACH Grant?

If you wish to cancel your TEACH Grant, notify the Financial Aid Administration office within two weeks, or by the first day of the payment period – it will not become a loan. If you notify our office after the two weeks, but within 120 days Manhattan College is not required to return the funds, and the grant can be converted into a loan. After 120 days, you are responsible for contacting Fedloan Servicing and they will determine appropriate repayment of funds.

What happens if my cumulative GPA drops below a 3.25?

If you qualify for this grant based on GPA, but your cumulative GPA falls below a 3.25, you are ineligible for the grant until your GPA returns to the required 3.25 minimum.

Can the grant be denied if I reach my aggregate maximum on loans?

No, this grant is not based on need and does not factor into your aggregate limit on loans. However, the amount of all financial aid received cannot extend beyond your Cost of Attendance. You can speak with a financial aid counselor to determine if accepting a TEACH Grant would impact your award package.

What if my eligible major is not considered “high-need” next year?

Eligible majors are subject to change and Agreements to Serve are only applied on a one-year basis for the intended academic year in which students wish to receive the TEACH Grant. If a student’s major is only valid within the Teacher Shortage Area Nationwide Listing, they will be ineligible to apply for a subsequent TEACH Grant.

What if I intend to become an elementary school teacher?

General and Elementary Education majors with qualifying concentration areas may also apply. However, please note that recipients may not be able to satisfy teaching requirements if employed to teach across various subjects. More than 50% of the employed teacher's classes must be documented as spent teaching in a high-need subject area. In addition, please consult the Teacher Shortage Area Nationwide Listing to determine whether your employing state and/or county has classroom grade level instruction restrictions.

What if I am not a full-time student?

The awarded TEACH Grant will be prorated if you are enrolled less than full time.

What happens if I receive the grant as an undergraduate, then attend graduate school?

You will still be expected to fulfill your teaching obligation once you complete graduate school. You are required to officially suspend your first grant, then you can apply for a graduate-level TEACH Grant in an eligible program. Fedloan Servicing can instruct you on how to suspend your first TEACH grant.

Can my student teaching hours count toward my TEACH Grant service years?

No, student teaching does not count toward the four years you are required to teach in order to fulfill your TEACH Agreement to Serve with the federal government.

Do I need to serve eight years at a low-income school in a high-need field if I have a TEACH Grant as an undergraduate, and a second Grant in graduate school?

No, you would only be obligated to fulfill a 4-year teaching service in total if you were to continue from an undergraduate TEACH Grant right into the next consecutively. There are certain circumstances that alters this (if you postpone graduate school for a year or more), so please feel free to contact Financial Aid Administration or Fedloan Servicing directly with any questions or concerns.

I am an experienced teacher interested in becoming certified in a high-need field. Would I qualify for the TEACH Grant?

The grant is only applicable for someone who is earning his or her first bachelor's or master's degree. You may qualify for the TEACH Grant if you have not yet earned your first master's degree. Special education is currently the only eligible graduate-level program offered at the College.

I'm graduating! Do I need to do anything for the TEACH Grant?

  • Yes, exit counseling is required by federal regulations. You can complete this requirement at nslds.ed.gov -- you will need your FSA ID to log in.
  • Register your account with Fedloan Servicing and update your contact information.
  • Fill out an Annual Certification Form every year, even if you are not teaching. Failure to do so will automatically convert your grant into a loan.

Will my subject area need to be listed as high-need each year of my teaching service?

Yes. In addition, your employing state and district must recognize your field as high-need by national standards or in the Teacher Shortage Area Nationwide Listing for the academic year in which you begin your first year as a teacher. First-year teachers who fail to do so must find employment in a qualifying state or subject area by the fourth year post-graduation or risk having their TEACH Grant(s) converted to an unsubsidized Stafford loan.

What if my employing school is no longer listed as Title I?

You must begin your first year of teaching in a school listed in the Annual Directory of Designated Low-Income Schools for Teacher Cancellation Benefits. If your school is not listed as Title I in your second year, you should review your Agreement to Serve and consult Fedloan Servicing. TEACH regulations state that as long as the school was listed as Title I in your first year, TEACH recipients can continue employment in the same school and have those years count toward their TEACH service years. 

Who do I contact to manage my TEACH Grant account?

The U.S. Department of Education does not have a formal customer service number specified for TEACH Grant inquiries. Students must communicate with their TEACH Grant servicer.

  • TEACH Grant recipients up until June 30, 2013 would have primarily communicated with the Federal Loan Servicing Center (FLSC). However, as of July 1, 2013, recipients may have received communication that their TEACH Grant was transferred to a different servicer. Students should follow the instructions on their received correspondence to set up an account with this new servicer.
  • As of July 1, 2013, the TEACH Grant servicer is Fedloan Servicing. Log in today to access your account, see your TEACH Grant servicer progress, and download or respond to any needed forms (Suspension and Annual Certification). It is important that students notify Fedloan Servicing within 120 days after leaving Manhattan, and each subsequent year until the service agreement is fulfilled.
  • Additionally, upon gaining employment as an eligible teacher, you must complete the Annual Certification Form and have your chief administrator in the school to verify that the teacher was “a highly-qualified teacher in a low-income school and taught a majority of classes in a high-need field" for the applicable academic year.
  • If you are not employed as a qualifying teacher yet, you must still complete and return an Annual Certification Form stating your intention to complete the TEACH Grant service years.
  • Always update Fedloan Servicing with changes in name, address, phone number, and other contact information. 
  • If mailing your Annual Certification Forms and TEACH Grant related documents, use a delivery tracking number. Keep photocopies of the documents sent and your receipts from the post office. Follow-up as needed.

When would I have to start making payments if the TEACH Grant is converted into a loan?

Like all Federal Direct Stafford Loans, unsubsidized Stafford loans require repayments to begin at the end of a six month grace period following either your graduation, failure to enroll below half time, or when the conversion takes place.

Can my teaching experience as a Lasallian Volunteer count toward a TEACH Grant service year?

Lasallian Volunteers (and students pursuing other education volunteer programs) must be employed as a full-time teacher in a high-need subject area, in an eligible school, for the academic year. Further, the interested LV must also be certified to teach in the state where he or she intends on serving. Review the Teacher Shortage Area Nationwide Listing and Annual Directory of Designated Low-Income Schools for Teacher Cancellation Benefits to determine whether your employing state and/or county, and your intended school meet requirement criteria. You should also consult Fedloan Servicing with your situation to fully determine your eligibility. 

I want to contest my TEACH Grant(s) being converted into a loan. What do I do?!

Manhattan College is not required by federal regulations to guide students in this matter, but here are some helpful tips that can help you tackle this issue:

1. Log in to your account at Fedloan Servicing to see if there are any correspondences you have not responded to in a timely manner. Since this program is relatively new, unexpected conversion is rare and an anomaly of most reported student experiences with the TEACH Grant program. Further, most related issues stem from failure by the student to communicate or return due documents in a timely manner, so the first thing you should do is contact Fedloan Servicing to discuss your case, ask for the circumstances surrounding the conversion, and request the ability to appeal in writing to the U.S. Department of Education.

2. If you have the option to appeal, gather evidence that supports your case (i.e. certified letters of enrollment from the Registrar Office, correspondences received from the Federal Loan Servicing Center, proof of accepted grant suspension, etc.) and prepare your appeal letter. Make sure that you include any completed forms that are required at this time.

3. Mail all documents together, not by piecemeal. Use a delivery tracking number. Follow-up as needed. The final appeal outcome is determined by the U.S. Department of Education's TEACH Grant Program office, not the Federal Loan Servicing Center. Manhattan College is not involved in this determination and cannot appeal on your behalf, nor can we guarantee an outcome in your favor.

4. If your appeal is granted: Congratulations! Now, stay in direct communication with the Federal Loan Servicing Center as needed and continue working on completing your TEACH Service years. Also, it may be worth your while to pursue Teacher Loan Forgiveness toward any remaining federal loan debt you borrowed.

If your appeal was denied: Follow-up with the Federal Loan Servicing Center and see if you have any other options. If not, you must take financial responsibility for the unsubsidized Stafford loan with accrued interest, and continue to communicate with the Federal Loan Servicing Center as needed. We recommend you review our loan borrower resources page to learn more about repayment plans and Teacher Loan Forgiveness. You may also consult and contact the federal Ombudsman office if you feel your loan conversion was still erroneous, but your appeal was not returned in your favor.