4-Year Career Plan
It can be frustrating for many students to figure out what career path to pursue but if you plan early and follow through, it can make a huge difference in defining and building your successful career.
- Take the Focus2 self-assessment.
- Review the What Can I Do With This Major page to explore majors and careers paths.
- Talk to faculty, advisers and mentors about potential majors and career pathways.
- For freshmen in the School of Engineering, participate in the Mentor Program.
- Explore internship, research or volunteer opportunities on JasperLink.
- Join a student organization based on your interests.
- Take courses you enjoy that will help you decide if your major is a good fit.
- Build a résumé
- Attend Office of Career Pathways events and workshops.
- Create an account on JasperLink (the Manhattan College job/internship database).
- Gain familiarity of campus resources to help support your academics and your adjustment to college life.
- Build online presence on LinkedIn.
- Start connecting with peers, faculty members and professionals and join affiliation groups on LinkedIn.
- Meet with a career counselor to discuss interests, values, skills and personality to help you reflect on potential career paths
- Students in the School of Arts, School of Business, School of Education & Health and School of Science can participate in the Mentor Program
- Attend career fairs and events to learn about internships and experiential learning opportunities.
- Speak with an academic adviser and with career counselor to explore different major and career options.
- Connect with faculty to pursue academic and research opportunities.
- Attend employer information sessions and networking events.
- Update your résumé and cover letter on JasperLink.
- Choose courses that help you progress toward your major and degree.
- Gain career-related experience through an internship, co-op, research or volunteer opportunity.
- Practice your interview skills through the mock interview program.
- Join a student organization that is related to your major or professional interests and get involved in leadership opportunities.
- Build connections with peers, faculty members and professionals on LinkedIn.
- Explore professional associations, student memberships.
- Explore networking opportunities by attending events on and off campus.
- Review and discuss with a career counselor individual careers, graduate school and fellowship pathways.
- Speak with faculty and academic advisers about career interests, graduate school and future plans.
- Attend employer information sessions posted on JasperLink to learn about opportunities.
- Engage in research and take advanced courses in your academic interest areas.
- Continue attending career fairs, workshops and events.
- Continue participation in student organizations to develop leadership and teamwork skills.
- Gain career-related experience through an internship, research or volunteer opportunity.
- Practice and hone your interview skills with a peer adviser, career counselor or through Mock Interview program.
- Update your JasperLink account and upload refined resume and cover letter.
- Participate in on-campus recruitment to secure a summer internship.
- If interested in professional school, graduate school or fellowships, develop a timeline for applications to be competitive and begin preparation for admissions exams.
- If interested in pre-health professions, begin the internal application process.
- Join professional associations and special interest groups on LinkedIn.
- Get endorsements and request recommendations for your LinkedIn profile.
- Develop job search strategies with your career counselor based on your self-assessments, including a prioritized list of values and industries.
- If you are interested in graduate school and fellowships, develop a list of opportunities that are aligned with your background and goals.
- Begin your active job search at least one semester prior to graduation.
- Apply to jobs, fellowships and graduate school with your updated and tailored documents.
- Update your JasperLink account to maximize your use of the system.
- Practice your interview skills with a friend, employer or career counselor.
- Participate in career fairs and expos, employer information sessions, and on-campus recruitment to connect with employers and potential opportunities.
- Conduct informational interviews with industry professionals to learn about specific careers.
- Take advantage of student rates to join local, national and international professional associations.
- Keep your voice mail and social networking profiles professional and updated.
- Secure your list of references and/or recommendation letters.
- Complete the Graduating Student Survey.