Resources for International Students

On-Campus Employment [+]

International Students can work on campus maximum of 20 hours per week when school is in session. For on-campus employment listings, please visit Student Employment page on the financial aid website.


Off-Campus Employment [+]

International students must obtain work authorization to work off campus. To read more about Optional Practical Training (OPT), Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and all other H1-B and other types of visas, please visit the International Student Services page. Students who hold visas for Mexican and Canadian North American Free Trade Agreement Professional Workers should visit this NAFTA page. For additional information, please visit the links below.   



Finding Internships/Employment [+]

JapserLink is a full-service online recruiting system encompassing job and internship postings, on-campus recruiting opportunities, and events such as employer information sessions and career fairs. The system is for the exclusive use of Manhattan College students and alumni. Please familiarize yourself with the policies and expectations for using JasperLink.


Employment Due to Economic Hardship [+]

Students with F-1 status for one academic year and who are experiencing extreme financial difficulties due to unforeseen financial difficulties may apply for work permission authorized by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Please visit Manhattan College International Student Services page to find out more about employment due to economic hardship.


Volunteering & Experiential Learning Opportunities [+]

Employers often appreciate and value students’ volunteer experience through community services and experiential learning opportunities. These opportunities help students to gain real work experience and build leadership and teamwork skills which you can showcase on your resume. F-1 students are generally eligible only after two semesters of being registered full-time in student immigration status, and J-1 students are eligible after one semester. Students in F-1 status can also apply for work permission for international organizations. Work permission is granted by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with the recommendation of the International Student Services office.


Internship/Job Search Strategies for International Students [+]

  • Engage with the Center for Career Development and learn all available resources. Be proactive!
  • Identify and research the employers ahead of time and prioritize according to your interest and importance.
  • Participate in the Professional Pathway Program (P3) to make yourself more competitive in the job market.  
  • Create an American version of a résumé and cover letter.
  • Strengthen your interview skills with a career counselor.
  • Practice English with peers and through community program such as New York Public Library English Conversation Groups


Online Resources [+]

H1-B Labor Certification Database provided by the Department of Labor Provides group support for international students living in New York City.

Cultural Vistas: Offers internship/work placement for engineering, science, and technical and some non-technical students

CIEE - Council on International Educational Exchange: Offers study abroad; short-term work exchanges; internships; Japan exchange and teaching program; English language testing; and travel.

Global Vision International: Provides field work opportunities for graduates, students and professionals looking for practical experience in local non-governmental organizations.


Resources for Students Returning to Their Home Country [+]


Visa Related Resources [+]