Cashier/Student Account Representative
Reporting to the Cashier Supervisor and Assistant Bursar, the cashier will be responsible for the day-to-day operation of account postings in the Bursar division. The Cashier is responsible for large sums of money on a daily basis and the daily reconciliation and balancing of all fund operations.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
• Attend cashier window and process payment transactions for student accounts/general ledger accounts by collecting cash, checks, and processing associated payment documents necessary to disburse funds. Receives large volumes of tuition and miscellaneous payments from students, parents, faculty, staff and third parties. Make change, chases checks, and issues receipts.
• Daily responses to inquiries and correspondence regarding balances, projected and pending financial aid and monthly payment plan budgets. Proactively I
advise students and families of balances in person, telephone or in writing.
• Responsible for verifying payments received as applicable to Banner billing system of student accounts and for reconciling, logging, batching and distributing incoming payments received including bank lockbox, wires and on line payment portals.
• Responsible for charge entry, posting, verifying coding and account information, reviewing accounts, researching unidentified payments, and retrieving
• Ensures accountability of College receipts and funds at all times by balancing various cash windows, credit card machines and run daily cash reconciliation worksheet with the day's transactions, performing various audits and checks of cashiers deposits and funds, processing daily bank deposits.
• Ensures the security of College funds kept in the Bursar’ s Office by keeping monies and financial records recorded, locked, and secure from
• Maintain compliance with federal and state aid and federal cash management regulations. Maintain the integrity of the receipt and refunding activities as it pertains to excess financial aid and outside scholarships.
• Ensure the provision of excellent, quality service to students, parents, faculty and staff. Coordinate/ensure the safeguards and compliancy of student confidentiality.
• Collaborate effectively with other departments and academic offices.
• Assist with some evening and few weekend hours as needed.
• Contributes to the overall success of the SFS Office by performing all other essential responsibilities assigned, i.e., mailing bills/correspondence, answering phones, and retrieving and routing messages and emails.
High school diploma; some college preferred. Preference to candidates with significant banking and/or student account experience; ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks concurrently; excellent team building, verbal and written communication skills required; knowledge of accounting principles including cash management regulations; proven ability to utilize problem-solving techniques to find solutions to problems. Computer knowledge necessary (M$ Word, Excel, email, etc. Experience with Banner or university systems and familiarity with financial aid is a plus.
If you are interested in this position, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com or fax to (718) 862-7350.