Civil & Environmental Engineering
Paul C. Schmall has taught at Manhattan College as an adjunct instructor since 2009. He is Vice President for Engineering at specialty geotechnical contractor Moretrench and a registered Professional Engineer in New Jersey, Maryland and Washington, D.C. Over the course of his 28-year career with Moretrench, Schmall has been instrumental in the design and implementation of numerous highly complex projects involving grouting, groundwater control and ground freezing technologies to resolve challenging subsurface conditions for such applications as major transportation, water, and utilities construction and upgrade. He is a Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers and was elected to the Academy of Geo-Professionals (AGP), an affiliate of ASCE, in 2009.
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Nottingham, UK
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Bucknell University
- CIVG786 Ground Improvement
- CIVG 798 Site Characterization
- Evaluation of moving groundwater issues associated with difficulty in closure of artificially frozen groundwater cut-off and earth support structures and the techniques to effect closure such as the use of alpha olefins as a grout to stem excessive flowing water conditions.
- Evaluation of the effectiveness of groundwater control methods such as dewatering wellpoints and deep wells in aiding the efficient and safe closure of coal combustible residuals impoundments in compliance with mandated EPA regulations.
Publications and Scholarly Activities
- Assistant Professor, Manhattan College, New York (beginning Fall 2009)
- Instructor, ASCE short Course: “Construction Dewatering & Groundwater Control – Design And Application,” 2009 and onging
- Instructor, “Construction Dewatering and Ground Water Control: Design and Application,” hosted by the National Ground Water Association, 2005.
- Instructor, “Groundwater Analysis and the Design of Dewatering Systems,” 5-part course for the University of Florida's annual short course, 2000-2004
- Instructor, Annual Microtunneling Short Course, Colorado School of Mines, 2001-present.
- Instructor, Colorado School of Mines Ground Improvement Short Course, 2013 and ongoing
- Instructor, Annual Tunneling Short Course, Colorado School of Mines, 2009 and ongoing.
- Instructor, Annual Dewatering Systems Short Course, University of Florida, 2002.
- Alumni Consultant, Bucknell University Department of Civil Engineering.
- Co-author, Construction Dewatering and Groundwater Control: New Methods and Applications, 3rd Edition (2007). John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY.
- Contributing author, Groundwater and Wells (Robert J. Sterrett, Ed.), Johnson Screens, New Brighton, MN, 2007
- Chapter co- author, Handbook of Temporary Structures in Construction, 3rd Edition, McGraw Hill, 2011
Technical Papers & Presentations
- “Compensation Grouting for the East Side Access Northern Boulevard Crossing,”, Rapid Excavation and Tunneling Conference, New Orleans, LA, 2015
- “Ground Freezing for the East Side Access Northern Boulevard Crossing - Balancing Settlement and Heave Control,” Rapid Excavation and Tunneling Conference, Washington D.C., 2013
- “Investigation and Remediation of a Phosphate Plant Sinkhole in White Plains, Florida,” 4th International Conference on Grouting and Deep Mixing, New Orleans, LA, 2012
- “Ground Freezing Challenges for Horizontal Connection between Shafts under Difficult Geologic and Hydrostatic Conditions.” North American Tunneling Conference 2010, Portland, OR (accepted for publication)
- Schmall, P.C., McCann, J.M., Mueller, D.K., and Wigg, K.E. “Ground Freezing for Mine Shaft Sinking: A Proven Technology with Unique Advantages.” SME Annual Conference 2010, Phoenix, AZ.
- “Brightwater Conveyance System: Ground Freezing for Access Shaft Excavation through Soft Ground.” Proceeding of the Rapid Excavation & Tunneling Conference (RETC), Las Vegas, NV, 2009
- “Chemical Grouting for the East Side Access Bellmouth Work Shaft,” Proceedings of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Geo-Institute, Geo-Denver, 2007.
- “Beacon Hill Station Jet Grouting.” Proceedings of the Rapid Excavation and Tunneling Conference (RETC), 2007.“Ground Freezing Under the Most Adverse Conditions: Moving Groundwater,” Proceedings of the Rapid Excavation and Tunneling Conference (RETC), 2007.
- “The Ground Freezing Alternative: An Effective Solution for Difficult and Constrained Site Conditions.” Proceedings of the 22nd Central Pennsylvania Geotechnical Conference, 2006.
- “Ground Freezing in Adverse Geology & Difficult Ground Conditions.” Proceedings of the North American Tunneling Conference (NATC), June 2006.
- “Ground Freezing - A Viable and Versatile Construction Technique.” Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Cold Regions Engineering, July 2006.
- “Ground Freezing For Underground Construction in the Urban Environment.” Proceedings of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), NYC Metropolitan Section Annual Conference, 2005.
- “Defining the Niche of Ground Freezing.” Proceedings of the Rapid Excavation and Tunneling Conference (RETC), 2005.
- “Ground Freezing For Urban Applications.” Proceedings of the North American Tunneling Conference (NATC), 2004.
- “Groundwater Control at the World Trade Center, Ground Zero.” Proceedings of Underground Construction Technologies (UCT) Annual Convention, 2003.
- “Groundwater Control at Ground Zero.” Proceedings of the Rapid Excavation and Tunneling Conference (RETC), 2003.
- “Dewatering for the Lenox Avenue Reconstruction Project.” Proceedings of the Rapid Excavation and Tunneling Conference, 2001.
- “Ground Freezing for Boston Central Artery Contract C09A4, Jacking of Tunnel Boxes.” Proceedings of the Rapid Excavation and Tunneling Conference (RETC), 2001.
- “Groundwater Control at Difficult Geological Interfaces.” Proceedings of the ASCE Annual Convention, 1999.
- “Ground Freezing for the Construction of Deep Shafts.” Proceedings of the Rapid Excavation and Tunneling Conference (RETC) Annual Convention, 1999.
- “Groundwater Cut-Off for Jacked Tunnel with Ground Freezing.” Proceedings of the Rapid Excavation and Tunneling Conference (RETC) Annual Convention, 1999.
- “Combined Use of Grouting and Temporary Groundwater Control to Stabilize and Prevent Erosion of Gypsum Stack Embankments.” Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Tailings and Mine Waste, 1999.
- “The Freezing of Soil Masses as an Aid to Engineering Construction.” Proceedings of the ASCE Annual Convention, 1998
- “Groundwater Control for Construction.” Proceedings of the ASCE Construction Congress, 1996.
- “A Personality for Every Pond,” Ash at Work, Issue 2, 2015
- “ESA’s SEM Challenge,” North American Tunneling Journal, October/November, 2013
- “Keeping it Cool in the Big Apple,” North American Tunneling Journal, April/May 2012
- “The Big Freeze: Brine vs Liquid Nitrogen,” North American Tunneling Journal, June/July 2011
- “Ground Stabilization for Urban Tunneling,” Tunnel Business Magazine, August 2010
- “Brightwater’s Ballinger Way Portal presents Deep Shaft Challenges.” Tunneling & Underground Construction, June, 2009.
- “Ground freezing a proven technology in mine shaft sinking.” Tunneling & Underground Construction, June, 2007.
- “Geotechnical Solutions Support Soft Ground Tunneling.” Tunnel Business Magazine, June 2006.
- “Is ‘Tunnel Vision’ Doing Dewatering a Disservice?” Tunnel Business Magazine, December 2005.
- “Ground Freezing Aids Water Tunnel Construction.” Tunnel Business Magazine, October 2005.
- “Case Study: Ground Freezing and Tunnel Jacking inBoston.” Tunnel Business Magazine, August 2000.
Professional Experience and Memberships
Schmall is active in the engineering community, serving on the boards and committees of a number of industry professional organizations and instructing several annual specialized short courses. He regularly presents papers at industry seminars and conferences, is current Chair of the UCA of SME Education and Student Outreach Committees, and has served as Chair of The Moles organization Education Committee.
Underground Construction Association of the Society for Mining and Exploration:
- Director, 2006 to present
- Current Vice-Chair, Student Outreach Committee
American Underground Construction Association
- Director 2005-2006
- Trustee, 2012-2015
- Chair, Moles Education Committee 2012-2015
- Program Committee Member 2003-2008
- Awards Committee Member 2003-Present
- Nomination Committee Member 2005
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), NYC Metropolitan Area Section:
- Geotechnical Executive Committee Member 1998-2001;
- Geotechnical Executive Committee Chairman 2000 – 2001.
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Academy of Geo-Professionals (AGP)
- The Moles
- National Groundwater Association
- Underground Construction Association of the Society of Mining Engineers
- Deep Foundations Institute.
Honors, Awards, and Grants
- Geo-Institute of ASCE Wallace Hayward Baker Award, 2015
- Chapter Honor Member, Bucknell University Chi Epsilon National Civil Engineering Honor Society, 2014
- Engineer/Constructor of the year, New Jersey Society of Professional Engineers, 2013
- Diplomate, Geotechnical engineering (D.GE), Academy of Geo-Professionals, 2009