Dr. Michael Judge began his more than 20-year career with Manhattan College’s Biology Department in 1993. Since starting at the College, he has been a strong proponent of undergraduate research and has sponsored 50 senior projects.
In collaboration with colleagues, he has published 19 peer-reviewed research articles on the marine ecology of near-shore invertebrates from the Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf coasts, as well as the Caribbean.
His curiosity for marine biology was sparked at a young age during family vacations to the New England coast and from numerous Jacques Cousteau documentaries. He also has a fondness for marine snails.
- B.S in Zoology, The University of Rhode Island
- Ph.D. in Ecology, The University of California Davis
BIOL 223 Ecology
BIOL 310 Research in Biology
BIOL 311 Research in Biology
BIOL 409 Marine Biology
BIOL 410 Research in Biology
BIOL 411 Research in Biology
- Role of thermal load and desiccation on tropical snail behavior, growth and survival
- Effects of water flow on shellfish growth and bivalve ecosystem engineers
- Sediment and metal toxicology in estuarine crustaceans
- Role of sediment cues on molting of fiddler crab and Asian shore crab megalopae
Publications and Scholarly Activities
Lovely, C.M., N.J. O’Connor, and M.L. Judge. 2015. Abundance of non-native crabs in intertidal habitats of New England with natural and artificial structure. PeerJ 3:e1246; DOI 10.7717/peerj.1246
Judge, M.L., M.L Botton, and M.G. Hamilton. 2011. Physiological consequences of the supralittoral fringe: microhabitat temperature profiles and stress protein levels in the tropical periwinkle Cenchritis muricatus (Linneaus, 1758). Hydrobiologia, 675: 143-156. DOI: 10.1007/s10750-011-0812-3.
- Coen, L.D., B.R. Dumbauld, and M.L. Judge. 2011. Expanding shellfish aquaculture: a review of the ecological services provided by and impacts of native and cultured bivalves in shellfish-dominated ecosystems. Chpt 9 in: Shellfish Aquaculture and the Environment, edited by S.E.Shumway, Wiley-Blackwell, 528 p. (ISBN: 978-0-8138-1413-1)
- O’Connor, N.J. and M.L. Judge. 2010. Molting of megalopae of the Asian shore crab Hemigrapsus sanguineus in intertidal habitats of Northeastern North America. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 385: 92-97.
- Judge, M.L., R. Duell, L. Burriesci, and W. Moarsi. 2009. Life in the supralittoral fringe: microhabitat choice, mobility and growth in the tropical periwinkle Cenchritis (=Tectarius) muricatus (Linneaus, 1758). Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 369: 148–154. DOI:10.1016/j.jembe.2008.11.004
- O’Connor, NJ, Judge, ML, 2004. Molting of fiddler crab Uca minax megalopae: stimulatory cues are specific to salt marshes. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 282: 229-236.
- O'Connor, N.J. and M.L. Judge. 1999. Cues in salt marshes stimulate molting of fiddler crab Uca pugnax megalopae: more evidence from field experiments. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 181:131-139.
- Judge, M.L. and S.F. Craig. 1997. Positive flow dependence in the initial colonization of a fouling community: results from in situ water current manipulations. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 210: 209-222.
- O'Connor, N.J. and M.L. Judge. 1997. Flexibility in timing of molting of fiddler crab megalopae: evidence from in situ manipulation of cues. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 146(1-3): 55-60.
- Xie, K.Y., D.C. Locke, D. Habib, M. Judge, and C. Kriss. 1997. Environmental chemical impact of recycled plastic timbers used in the Tiffany Street Pier, South Bronx, New York. Resources, Conservation, and Recycling, 21:199-211
- Levinton, J.S., D.E. Martinez, M.M. McCartney, and M.L. Judge. 1995. The effect of water flow on movement, burrowing, and distributions of the gastropod Ilyanassa obsoleta in a tidal creek. Marine Biology 122: 417-424.
- Levinton, J.S., M.L. Judge, and J.P. Kurdziel. 1995. Functional differences between the major and minor claws of fiddler crabs (Uca, family Ocypodidae, Order Decapoda, Subphylum Crustacea). Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 193: 147-160.
- Judge, M.L., L.D. Coen, and K.L. Heck, Jr. 1993. Does Mercenaria mercenaria encounter elevated food levels in seagrass beds?: results from a novel technique to collect suspended food resources, Marine Ecology Progress Series 92: 141-150.
- Levinton, J.S. and M.L. Judge. 1993. The relationship of closing force to body size for the major claw of Uca pugnax (Decapoda: Ocypodidae), Functional Ecology 7: 339-345.
- Judge, M.L., L.D. Coen, and K.L. Heck, Jr. 1992. The effect of long-term alteration of in situ water currents on the growth of Mercenaria mercenaria in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Limnology and Oceanography 37: 1550-1559.
- Quinn, J.F., C.L. Wolin, and M.L. Judge. 1989. An experimental analysis of patch size, habitat subdivision, and extinction in a marine intertidal snail. Conservation Biology 3: 242-251.
- Judge, M.L., J.F. Quinn, and C.L. Wolin. 1988. Variability in recruitment of Balanus glandula (Darwin, 1854) along the central California coast. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 119: 235-251.
- Judge, M.L. 1988. The effects of increased drag on Lottia gigantea (Sowerby, 1834) foraging behaviour. Functional Ecology 2: 363-369.
- Judge, M.L. and N.J. O’Connor. 2011. Invasion of the western North Atlantic shoreline by the exotic crab Hemigrapsus sanguineus: Lotka-Volterra competition model predicts invasion criteria. Oral conference paper at Benthic Ecologists Meeting hosted by the Dauphin Island Sea Lab & the University of South Alabama, Mobile, Alabama
- Judge, M.L. and J.J. Fitzpatrick. 2009. Numerical evaluation of larval survival in Long Island Sound as influenced by exposure to varying levels of dissolved oxygen. Oral conference paper at Benthic Ecologists Meeting hosted by University of Texas A&M University, Corpus Christi, Texas
- Judge, M.L. and J.J. Fitzpatrick. 2008. Numerical evaluation of larval survival in Long Island Sound as influenced by exposure to varying levels of dissolved oxygen. Oral conference paper at New England Estuarine Research Society Meeting hosted by University of Rhode Island, Block Island, Rhode Island
- Judge, M.L. 2008. Life in the suprlittoral fringe: microhabitat choice and growth in the tropical knobby periwinkle Cenchritis muricatus. Oral conference paper at Benthic Ecologists Meeting hosted by University of Connecticut, Avery Point, Providence, Rhode Island.
- Judge, M.L., P. Boyce, J. Brown, L.M. Jaquez, I. Visviki, J.D. Mahony, C.C. O’Mara, and T. Loor. 2007. Growth and reproduction of Leptocheirus plumulosus vary with sublethal arsenate exposure level. Oral conference paper at Benthic Ecologists Meeting hosted by Georgia Tech University, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Judge, M.L., I. Visviki, C.C. O’Mara, and J.D. Mahony. 2006. Determination of arsenic toxicity to the amphipod Leptocheirus plumulosus from sediment exposures. Oral conference paper at Benthic Ecologists Meeting hosted by Laval University, Quebec, Canada.
- Judge, M.L. 2005. Effectiveness of oyster reef restoration in the Hudson-Raritan Estuary: oyster growth and epifaunal colonization. Invited panel speaker at Oyster Restoration in the Hudson-Raritan Estuary Conference hosted by NY/NJ Baykeeper at Monmouth University, West Long Branch, NJ.
- Judge, M.L., I. Visviki, and J.D. Mahony. 2005. Determination of arsenic toxicity to the amphipod Leptocheirus plumulosus from water-only exposures. Oral conference paper at Benthic Ecologists Meeting hosted by Virginia Institute of Marine Science & College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA.
- Judge, M.L. 2004. The effects of desiccation and thermal load on the supralittoral distribution of the knobby periwinkle Tectarius muricatus. Oral conference paper at Benthic Ecologists Meeting hosted by University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL.
- Judge, M.L., M. Stringer and F. Steimle. 2003. Community-based oyster population restoration efforts in the Hudson-Raritan estuary. Oral conference paper at the Inaugural National Conference on Coastal and Estuarine Habitat Restoration, Baltimore, MD.
- Judge, M.L. and M. Stringer. 2003. Effectiveness of oyster reef restoration in the Hudson-Raritan estuary: oyster growth and epifaunal colonization. Oral conference paper at the Benthic Ecologists Meeting hosted by University of Connecticut, Groton, CT.
- Judge, M.L. and A. Forbes. 2002. Predation rates on juvenile oysters: laboratory interactions between exotic and native crabs on prey size selectivity. Oral conference paper at the Benthic Ecologists Meeting hosted by Florida State University, Orlando, FL.
- Judge, M.L. and N. O'Connor. 2000. Stimulatory cues for molting of fiddler crab megalopae are specific to salt marshes. Oral conference at the Ecological Society of America 85th Annual Meeting, Snowbird, UT.
- Judge, M.L., L.D. Coen, and K. Hammerstrom. 2000. The ecological implications of high density hard clam (Mercenaria mercenaria) mariculture on tidal creek environments. Oral conference paper at the National Shellfish Association Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA.
Professional Experience and Memberships
- 2011-present – Professor, Department of Biology, Manhattan College
- 2011-2015 - Chair, Department of Biology, Manhattan College
- 2010- Acting Chair, Department of Biology, Manhattan College
- 1999-2011 - Associate Professor of Biology, Department of Biology, Manhattan College
- 2002-2007 - Associate Chair, Department of Biology, Manhattan College
- 2003-2006 - Program Director, Undergraduate Science Education Program, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Manhattan College
- 1993-1999 - Assistant Professor of Biology, Department of Biology, Manhattan College
- 1991 1993 - Postdoctoral Research Associate, State University of New York, Stony Brook
- 1990 1991 - Postdoctoral Research Fellow & Research Assistant Professor, Marine Environmental Sciences Consortium, Dauphin Island Sea Lab
- 1988-1990 - Academic Coordinator, University of California, Davis
- American Society of Naturalists
- Ecological Society of America
- Sigma Xi
Honors, Awards, and Grants
Honors & Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society
- Numerical Evaluation of Larval Survival in Long Island Sound as Influenced by Exposure to Varying Levels of Dissolved Oxygen. National Fish & Wildlife Foundation #2005-0333-006. 2007-2008. $181,230 (co-PI with J.J. Fitzpatrick & S.C. Ertman)
- Development of Arsenic Sediment Quality Criteria using Equilibrium Partitioning. USEPA-STAR (#R830844). 2003-2006. $389,391 (co-PI with I. Visviki, J.D. Mahony, & K.J. Farley)
- Hard Clam (Mercenaria mercenaria) mariculture in U.S. Waters: Evaluating the Effects of Large-Scale Field Growout Practices on Clam Growth, Nutrition and Inshore Estuarine Creek Communities. Saltonstall-Kennedy (NOAA #NA77FD0078). 1997-1998. $177,484 (co-PI with L.D. Coen & C.A. Moncreiff)
- The Biological and Chemical Characterization of the Sediment and Water Column at the Tiffany Street Pier and a Preliminary Assessment of the Impact of the Use of Recycled Plastic Timbers for Construction There. New York City Mayor's Office of Construction. 1994. $44,356. (co PI with D. Habib, D. Locke, & J. Mahony)
- Secretary-Treasurer, Phi Beta Kappa, Upsilon of New York
- Manhattan College representative to New York Marine Sciences Consortium & founding member
- SCUBA certification (PADI #87017001)