Assistant Prof Electric Eng
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Dr. Amin started at Manhattan College in 2012, and has more than a decade of teaching and research experiences in the power systems and power electronics engineering. He is an IEEE Senior Member and ASEE member.
His research interests include power electronic applications in sustainable energy conversion systems and smart grid. In addition, he is the author of more than 25 scientific papers presented at international conferences and/or published in peer-reviewed journals.
- B.Sc. in Electrical Power & Machines Engineering from Helwan University (Cairo, Egypt)
- M.S. in Electrical Power & Machines Engineering from Helwan University (Cairo, Egypt)
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Florida International University
- ECEG 736: Power Systems I
- ECEG 738: Power Systems II
- EECE 203: Electrical Sys. Analysis II
- ELEC 409: Electrical Eng. Design
- ELEC 417: E.E. Lab III
- EECE 326: Instrumentation Systems
- ECEG 796: Alternative Energy Sources
- EECE 491: Elect. Sustainable Energy
- EECE 412: EE Concentration I (Electric Machine Drives)
- EECE 413: EE Concentration II (Power Electronics Applications)
- ECEG 796-61: Power Electronics
- ECEG 796-62: Power Design of Green Building
- ECEG 796-63: Sustainable Energy Sources
- ENGS 20: Electrical Systems
- ECEG 796-61: Direct Energy Convrsion
- “Development of Laboratory-Scale Hybrid Sustainable Energy Emulators Involving Energy Storage Systems for Smart Grid Applications,” this research project was sponsored by Manhattan College through a faculty summer grant in August 2013.
- Moderating the power laboratory in Leo 305 in order to prepare the new advanced experiments for our students. A laboratory equipment budget of about $35,000 was sponsored by the ECE department as major equipment’s budget prepared to be ordered and then build different testbed stations. These testbed stations served both undergraduate and graduate students in such a way to promote their skills to the experimental level of verifications. Three power electronics and machine drive stations were developed to implement 3-different experiments. Each testbed station involved two main power sections (power electronics and machine drive boards) and one control section (dSPACE development controller).
- “Real-Time Energy Efficiency Improvement for Optimal Integration of Green Energy Resources in Data Centers with Behind-the-Meter Renewable Generator,” this short proposal was submitted to New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) in Dec. 2014.
- “Development of High-Performance Adaptive Line Filtering Algorithm for Real-Time Power Quality Improvement of Grid-Connected Hybrid Systems,” this project proposal was submitted to the National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Program, 2013. The proposal was rejected and currently modified to be resubmitted.
- The adviser of a student who granted the Summer Research Lasallian Scholarship Program
- Developing Online Software-based PMU Model for Transmission Line Parameters in Wide Area Measurement Systems
- Development of Reduced Scale Power System Laboratory Test-Bed Involving Sustainable Energy Sources
- Eco-Friendly Vessel
- Design and Implementation of Digital Interface Circuit for High Power Converters
- Speed Control Drive Circuit for Wind Emulator Machine Systems: Design and Implementation
- Design and Implementation of a Digital Signal Controller for High Frequency Grid-Tie Inverter
- PCB Design for Switching Mode Power Supplies and Interface Isolation Circuit
- DC Bus Voltage Control for PV Sources in a dc distribution system Infrastructure
- Multi-Input High Frequency Boost Power Converter For Hybrid Sustainable Energy Conversion Systems
- DC-Bus Module System for Parallel Integrated energy systems
- High frequency grid-tie-inverter for AC/DC energy link integration
- AC-bus modular system for multi-phase grid connection
- AC/DC Programmable load emulator
Publications and Scholarly Activities
B1- Mahmoud Amin and Osama Mohammed, "Modern Technologies in Energy Efficiency Improvement: Design, Control, Implementation, and Applications," Scholars' Press, 2013, 308 pages, Book ISBN: 978-3639705379.
B2 - Mahmoud Amin and Mostafa Eissa, “Power Electronics Platforms for Grid-tied Smart Buildings,” InTech science, technology and medicine publisher, June 2016. ISBN 978-953-51-4641-4. (Peer-reviewed Book Chapter).
Book title “Smart Meters Architecture and Applications”. 168 pages
- Mahmoud Amin and Juan Martinez, “Sensitivity Analysis of New Dynamic Harmonic Distortion Current Limits Approach on Power Grid,” submitted to IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. xx, No. x (2017).
- Suman Shretha, George Giakos, Mahmoud Amin, Nolan Quinn, Roger Alayo , “Polarimetric Characterization of Unresolved Space Objects,” Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 52, No. 6 (2015), pp. 1696-1711.
DOI: 10.2514/1.A33304. (Peer-reviewed Journal Paper).
- Mahmoud Amin and Osama Mohammed, “Development of High-Performance Grid-Connected Wind Energy Conversion System for Optimum Utilization of Variable Speed Wind Turbines,” IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 2, no. 3, pp.235-245, July 2011 DOI:10.1109/TSTE.2011.2150251
- Mahmoud Amin and Osama Mohammed, “A Three-Phase High Frequency Semi-Controlled Battery Charging Power Converter for Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 490-498, July 2011 http://www.jpe.or.kr/On_line/admin/paper/files/S13_JPE-11031.pdf
- Mahmoud Amin and Osama Mohammed, “DC-Bus Voltage Control Technique for Parallel-Integrated Permanent Magnet Wind Generation Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 1140-1150, December 2011, DOI: 10.1109/TEC.2011.2163409
- Mahmoud Amin, Heba Moussa and Osama Mohammed, “Wide Area Measurement System for Smart Grid Applications Involving Hybrid Energy Sources,” Springer Journal on Energy Systems, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 3-21, Mar. 2012.
A1- Mahmoud Amin, Walter Matystik, Robert DeRosa, Mary Patterson, Gabriel Quiroz, Katherine Stout, “A Review of Article 129-A, Section 4.3, Crime Victim Incident Management, Response, Assistance & Support,” May 2014. https://manhattan.edu/student_life/public-safety/safety-statistics
A2- Mahmoud Amin, Walter Matystik, Robert DeRosa, Maire Duchon, Natalie Heinitz, Michael Russell, Katherine Stout, “A Review of Article 129-A § 6431, Title IX Policy and Procedures for Sexual Harassment, Sexual Assault and Gender-Based Misconduct.,” May 2015. https://manhattan.edu/student_life/public-safety/safety-statistics
A3- Mahmoud Amin, Walter Matystik, Robert DeRosa, Juan Cerezo, Natalie Heinitz, Peter DeCaro, Bernadette Lopez-Fitzsimmons, Elen Mons, Ryan Quattromani, “A Review of Article 129-B Requirements and Compliance,” May 2016. https://manhattan.edu/student_life/public-safety/safety-statistics
INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE PAPERS
- Mahmoud Amin and Ghada A. Abdel Aziz, “Dynamic Adaptive Observer for Speed Sensorless Intelligent Control of PMSM Drives,” The 2017 IEEE International Electric Machines & Drives Conference (IEMDC 2017), Miami, FL, May 2017, submitted. (International conference).
- Mahmoud Amin, C. Tapia, J. Bailey and V. Thodimeladine, “Comparison of PV array configuration efficiency under partial shading condition,” The 2016 43rd IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (PVSC 2016), Portland, OR, June 2016, pp. 3704-3707. (International conference).
- Christopher Hoey, Pamela Chasek, Mahmoud Amin, “Sustainable Energy Sources: Innovation for Economic, Societal, and Environmental Impacts,” The International Symposium on Lasallian Research Conference, Sep. 27-29, 2015.
- Mahmoud Amin, T. Youssef, and O. Mohammed, “Development of High Performance Improved Technique for Grid Synchronization of WECS,” The 40th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON 2014), Dallas, TX, Oct. 2014 (international conference)
- Mahmoud Amin, T. Yossef, and O. Mohammed, “Effect of Grid Synchronization Accuracy on WECS Stability and Power Quality,” International Conference on Renewable Energies and Power Quality (ICREPQ'14), ISSN 2172-038 X, No.12, April 2014 Córdoba, Spain (international conference)
- Mahmoud Amin and O. Mohammed, “A variable line filter for active and reactive power control through grid-tie-inverter as a dynamic VAR compensator for WECS,” IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting (PES GM 2013), pp.1-5, Vancouver, Canada, 21-25 July 2013 (international conference)
- Mahmoud Amin and O. A. Mohammed, “DC-Bus Voltage Control Technique for Parallel-Integrated Permanent Magnet Wind Generation Systems,” The 2012 IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting (PES GM 2012) at San Diego, California 22-26 July 2012.
- Mahmoud Amin and O. A. Mohammed, “A Novel Grid-Connected Multi-Input Boost Converter for HEVs: Design and Implementation,” The first IEEE International Electric Vehicle Conference (IEVC 2012) conference at Greenville, South Carolina 4-8 March 2012.
- Mahmoud Amin and O. A. Mohammed, “A Three-Phase High Frequency Semi-controlled Battery Charging Power Converter for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” The third IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE 2011) conference at Phoenix, pp. 2641 – 2648, 17-22 Sep. 2011.
- Mahmoud Amin, H. Moussa, and O. A. Mohammed, “Development of A Wide Area Measurement System for Smart Grid Applications,” The 18th World Congress of the International Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC) Invited Session conference (Aug. 28-Sep.2, 2011) in Milano, Italy.
- Mahmoud Amin and O. A. Mohammed, “Design and Implementation of DC-Bus System Module for Parallel Integrated Sustainable Energy Conversion Systems,” The 2011 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting (PES GM 2011), pp. 1-8, Detroit, 24-28 July, 2011
- Mahmoud Amin and O. A. Mohammed, “DC-Bus Voltage Control for Hybrid 4-Port High Frequency Parallel-Connected Sustainable Energy Conversion System,” IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference (IEMDC), pp. 89-94, Niagara Falls, May, 2011.
- Mahmoud Amin, A. Herrera, J. Seijo, and O. A. Mohammed, “A Digital Signal Controller for High Frequency-Based Grid-Tie Inverter Connected to Wind Emulator System: Design and Implementation,” IEEE/PES Power Systems Conference and Exposition (PSCE) 2011, vol., no., pp.1-8, 20-23, Phoenix, March 2011
- Mahmoud Amin and O. A. Mohammed, “Development of a Grid-Connected Wind Generation System Utilizing High Frequency- Semicontrolled Rectifier-Current Source Inverter,” The 2011 Twenty-Sixth Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), vol., no., pp.645-652, Fort Worth, 6-11 March 2011
- Mahmoud Amin and O. A. Mohammed, “Power Quality Improvement of Grid-Connected Wind Energy Conversion System for Optimum Utilization of Variable Speed Wind Turbines,” The 36th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON 2010), vol., no., pp.3287-3292, Phoenix, 7-10 Nov. 2010
- Mahmoud Amin, B. Mirafzal and O. A. Mohammed, “A DC-Bus Voltage Regulation for Parallel Wind-Based Synchronous Generators,” The 36th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON 2010), vol., no., pp.3161-3166, Phoenix, 7-10 Nov. 2010
- Mahmoud Amin and O. A. Mohammed, “DC-Bus Voltage Control of Three-Phase PWM Converters Connected to Wind Powered Induction Generator,” The 2010 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, vol., no., pp.1-7, Minneapolis,25-29 July 2010
- Mahmoud Amin, M. Elshaer, and O. A. Mohammed, “DC Bus Voltage Control for PV Sources in A DC Distribution System Infrastructure,” The 2010 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, vol., no., pp.1-5, Minneapolis,25-29 July 2010
- Mahmoud Amin and O. A. Mohammed, “Software Phase Locked Loop technique for Grid-Connected Wind Energy Conversion Systems,” The 2010 IEEE 12th Workshop on Control and Modeling for Power Electronics (COMPEL), pp.1-8, Boulder, 28-30 June 2010
- Mahmoud Amin and O. A. Mohammed, “Vector Oriented Control of Voltage Source PWM Inverter as A Dynamic VAR Compensator for WECS Connected to Utility Grid,” The 2010 Twenty-Fifth Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp.1640-1650, Palm springs, California, 21-25 Feb. 2010
- Mahmoud Amin and O. A. Mohammed, “Vector Oriented Control Of Voltage Source PWM Inverter for Wind Energy Conversion System Connected to Utility Grid,” The 13th IEEE International Middle-East Power System Conference (MEPCON) 2009, Assuit University, Egypt, pp.22-32, 20-23 Dec. 2009. Published in MEPCON journal
- Mahmoud Amin, F. El-Sousy, M. Ghazy, and M. Abu-Adma, “DC-Bus Voltage Control of Three-Phase AC/DC PWM Converters for Renewable Energy Applications,” The IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference(IEMDC '09), pp.1682-1691, Miami, May 2009
- Mahmoud Amin, F. El-Sousy, M. Ghazy and M. Abu-Adma,“The Dynamic Performance of An Isolated Self-Excited Induction Generator Driven by A Variable-Speed Wind Turbine,” The International Conference on Clean Electrical Power (ICCEP '07), pp. 536-543, Capri, Italy, May 2007
- Mahmoud Amin, F. El-Sousy, M. Ghazy and M. Abu-Adma,“ Intelligent Control for DC-Bus Voltage of Three-Phase AC/DC PWM Converters,” The International Conference on Power Engineering, Energy and Electrical Drives (POWERENG 2007), pp. 444-449, Portugal, 12-14 April 2007
- M. Neam (Amin), F. F. M. El-Sousy, M. A. Ghazy and M.A. Abu-Adma, “The Dynamic Performance of An Isolated Self-Excited Induction Generator Driven by A Variable-Speed Wind Turbine,” The Eleventh International Middle East Power Systems Conference (MEPCON 2006), pp.167-174, El-Minia University, 19-21 Dec. 2006
MASTER THESES STUDENTS
- Mario DiMondo, “Developing Online Software-based PMU Model for Transmission Line Parameters in Wide Area Measurement Systems,” Manhattan College, May 2016 (spring).
- Cesar Tapia, “Modeling and Analysis Study of Robust Improved PV Module with Non-Linear Equations,” Manhattan College, Dec. 2016 (fall). This student has accepted a cooperative opportunity NASA in their Cyber Security group at the Kennedy Space Center starting in Spring 2017.
- Juan Martinez, “Sensitivity Analysis of New Dynamic Harmonic Distortion Current Limits Approach on Power Grid,” Manhattan College, Dec. 2016 (fall).
Professional Experience and Memberships
Director of Sustainable Energy Systems (SES) Laboratory, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Manhattan College
PROFESSIONAL SOFTWARE SKILLS
¬ Proficient in Circuit based software: MATLAB, SIMULINK, ORCAD, POWERSIM, POWERWORLD.
¬ Skilled in monitoring and Daq software: Labview and DIgSILENT.
¬ Skilled in PCB design software.
¬ Skilled in Programming Language: C/C++, MATLAB.
SOCIETY AND COMMITTEE SERVICES
¬ The Chair of the Advisory Committee on Campus Security (ACCS) at Manhattan College, 2014 to date.
¬ Search Committee Member for Director of Library at Manhattan College, spring 2014
¬ Advisor of the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE-MC), 2013 to date
¬ Advisor of the Lasallian Summer Research Scholar program at Manhattan College, summer 2015.
¬ Mentored high school teachers during Manhattan College’s Engineering Scholars Training and Retention (STAR) Center’s funded by NSF, 2015 to date.
¬ EE Faculty member of the STEM Curriculum Design program Committee funded by NSF (2014)
¬ Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Student Member, Member, and Senior Member 2009 to date.
¬ American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), Member, 2012 to date.
¬ IEEE Power electronics Society, 2009 to date.
¬ IEEE Power & Energy Society, 2009 to date.
¬ The Vice Chair of the IEEE Chapter 4 VT06/COM19 Chapter and professional activities, 2009-2012 (Miami Section)
¬ Referee at the National Engineers Week Future City Competition in South Florida (from 2009 to present), (official certificate).
¬ The Delta Epsilon Iota (DEI) Academic Honor Society Life Member, 2009 to date.
¬ Reviewer and referee of: (2009-date)
IEEE Transactions on Sustainable energy (one paper)
IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion (one paper)
IEEE Transactions on Power electronics
IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics
IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid
IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications
Springer Journal on Energy Systems, (one paper) Europe
Journal of Power Electronics (one paper) Korean
IEEE ECCE Conference (two papers)
IEEE APEC Conference (two papers)
Honors, Awards, and Grants
HONORS AND AWARDS
¬ Elevated to Senior Member of the IEEE, December 2016.
¬ Recipient of The Intel FPGA University Program Grant Award sponsored by Intel, Nov. 2016.
¬ Summer Grant Award sponsored by Manhattan College, 2013.
¬ Offered Tenure-track Faculty positions from three different universities.
¬ The Best graduate of the College of engineering from Florida International University, class of 2012.
¬ The Graduate school Fellowship (DYF) in 2011 from Florida International University.
¬ Recipient of third Best Paper Award of the IEEE PES GM 2010.
¬ GSA SCHOLARLY FORUM Award in Student Technical Oral Presentation from Florida International University 2010.
¬ Awarded the technical oral presentation competition in the society of Material Advantage, 2011 &2012.
¬ Ranked 1st in GPA among all graduate students in 2012, ECE, Florida International University.
¬ Elected into the Delta Epsilon Iota (DEI) Academic Honor Society Based upon the excellent academic record and outstanding academic accomplishments 2010.
¬ Mahmoud Amin and Yi Wang,” SaTC: CORE: Small: Securing Smart Grid under False Data Injection Cyber-Physical Threats [proposal# 1717839],” sponsored by The Division of Computer and Network Systems (CNS), NSF, Program Officer: Nina Amla (submitted 11/16/16 and pending status). $494,828
¬ Mahmoud Amin, Yi Wang, and Mary Jacob,” SaTC: EDU: Cybersecurity Engineering Education with Integrated Cyber-Physical Systems via Cloud Learning [proposal# 1723742],” sponsored by The Division of Graduate Education (DGE), NSF, Program Officer: Victor P. Piotrowski (submitted 12/15/16 and pending status). $298,485
¬ The Intel FPGA University Program Grant [BR10394] sponsored by Intel, Nov. 2016.
¬ Summer Grant Award sponsored by Manhattan College, 2013.
¬ Aug 2012- Date: Assistant Professor, Manhattan College
- Started building innovative Smart Grid Research Center
- The Advisor of 4 Master graduate students
¬ Apr 2012- Aug 2012: Post-doctoral Fellow, Energy System Research Lab at Florida Int’l University
- Design and Implementation of Multiport Power Converters for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehiclues
- Optimization in the placement of components on PCB
- Design an innovative driver for the bi-directional converters
¬ 2009-Mar 2012: Research Assistant, Energy System Research Lab at Florida Int’l University.
- Design and control of Power Alternators, Induction wounded motors, DC machines, Permanent magnet
DC, BLDC, AC machines and Power Converters through different techniques
- HIL control of the Machine drives and converters with TMS320F6713 and dSPACE 1104
- Design of Power Electronic Based Power Supply and many other Power Electronics boards such as Current and voltage measurement boards, security boards, and bidirectional converter
- Comprehensive Fault Diagnosis of Power Converter
- Analysis of electric Circuits using MATLAB/SIMULINK
- Supported on a Full-time Research Assistantship and Fellowship;
- Worked on Federally funded research projects related to energy systems
- Designed, implemented and tested power electronics converter modules and sustainable energy sources emulators such as:
- AC-DC PWM Rectifies, DC-AC Inverters, DC-DC Converters,
- Wind farm emulation system, PV behavioral emulators,
- Energy storage systems,
- Programmable load emulator,
- Multi-input DC-bus module for DC-microgrids,
- DSP embedded controller developments,
- Protection breaker box, active & passive filters design
¬ March 2007-May 2009: Research Assistant, Electronic Research Institute.
- Continuing the master degree research work (design and implementation of the hardware experimental setup in the laboratory in order to investigate the system performance)
- Designed the Simulink interface program for National Instrument data acquisition cards; Wrote technical documentations
- Conducted scientific research papers to be published in international conferences
¬ Sep. 2003-Feb.2007: Teacher Assistant Helwan University, Cairo, Egypt.
- Worked as a teacher assistant in educating many courses as (Fundamentals of power electronics, Power electronics applications, Electric machine drives, Microprocessors and interface circuits, Power system reliability, High voltage engineering, SCADA systems and Labview, Digital control)
- Conducted research work in the master degree of the power electronics application in sustainable energy conversion systems
¬ Jan. 2005-May. 2008: Part-time Lecturer at Jelecom (Panasonic training cent.), Cairo, Egypt.
- Worked as a lecturer in educating different courses as (Labview & SCADA systems, PLCs, Automatic control, Matlab/Simulink)
- Trained the under graduate students how to practically deal with the power system control components
- Developed a new PLC laboratory for course work demonstration
¬ 2002: Intern Undergrad Senior Student, Canada Dry Bottling Co., Aden.
- Field Training in machine drive control, PLCs, and power line protection; Wrote a report manual
- Fault location tests and regular system maintenance