Ph.D in Language, Fordham University, Language, Literacy and Learning
MS, Fordham University in Adult Education and Human Resource Development
CUNY, Lehman College, BA in Education
- EDUC 205 Theory and Practice
- EDUC 318 Curriculum and Pedagogy in the Elementary Classroom
- EDUC 350 Independent Study in Education
- EDUC 357 Curriculum Adaptations
- EDUC 375 Theory and Foundations of Teaching and Learning in Middle School
- EDUC 360. Language and Literacy
- EDUC 401 Principles and Practices of Reading in Elementary Schools
- EDUC 402 Reading in the Content Areas (Grades 1-12)
- EDUC 418. Seminar and Observation/Student Teaching (1-3)
- EDUC 438. Seminar and Observation/Student Teaching (4-6)
- EDUG 753. Teaching Reading in the Content Areas for At-Risk English Language Learners and Disabled (Grades K-12)
- EDUG 754. Literature for At Risk, (ELL) and Disabled (Grades K-12)
- EDUG 766. Literacy Instruction for At-Risk English Language Learners and Disabled Students
- EDUG 815 Curriculum, Assessment and Methods of Teaching English as a Second Language in General Education and Special Education
- The successful preparation of pre-service literacy teachers
- The effective integration of technology for ENL, ADHD and struggling literacy learners and other diverse populations.
- The integration of effective literacy strategies for the inclusive class.
- The development of assessment tools for self and student reflection and growth.
- The application of assistive and adaptive technologies for literacy learning and instruction.
- Publishing articles and conducting research focused on successful literacy strategies for the inclusive class.
- Developing creative and practical methods for using computer and telecommunication resources to improve literacy learning and teaching for a variety of students.
Publications and Scholarly Activities
- Rizopoulos, L. Lahey, T. (2023). Learning from alumni: Creating middle school classrooms that support English language learners. Middle School Journal, Vol. 54, Issue 1. Taylor and Francis
- Rizopoulos, L. Lahey, T. Juncaj, L. (2021). Teaching in tumultuous times: Cultivating critical Lasallian values in future teachers Axis: Journal of Lasallian Higher Education.
- Rizopoulos, L., Nicholson, K. (2017). Five strategies for listening to learn. The New Teacher Advocate, Kappa Delta Pi.
- Rizopoulos, L. Toscano, L. (2014). Myths and misconceptions associated with English language learners. New York Academy of Public Education, Issue 3, p. 11-16.
- Rizopoulos, L. Toscano, L. (2013). Making content accessible for English Language learners in the physical education classroom International Journal of Social Sciences. Vol.04 (14), 99-104.
- Rizopoulos, L. Wolpert, G. (2012). Assessing narrative and expository reading by text and online presentation American International Journal of Contemporary Research, Vol. 2. No. 4 pp. 39-46.
- Rizopoulos, L. (2012). Strengthening family involvement practices of English as a second language learners. The Professional Journal of the New York Academy of Public Education pp. 8-13.
- Rizopoulos, L. , Occhiogrosso, G. (2012). Preservice teachers’ personal reading histories: Implications for future instruction. Excelsior: Leadership in Teaching and Learning. Published by the New York Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (NYACTE). pp. 65-77. Vol. 6 – No. 2.
- Rizopoulos, L. (2012). Lasallian practices offer strategies for understanding 21st century students. Momentum. pp. 46-49. September/October, 2012 issue.
- Rizopoulos, L. McCarthy, P. (2009). Using online threaded discussions: Best practice for the digital learner in the Journal of Educational Technology Systems, Vol. 37 (4) 373-383 Baywood Publishing Co.
- Rizopoulos, L. (2009). Using technology to develop literacy skills, Using Technology in 21st Century Schools, The National Catholic Educational Association, edited by William Merriam and Augustine Nicoletti. p. 95-109 (Book Chapter)
- Wolpert, G. Rizopoulos, L. (2009). Time to tap into technology. Educator’s Voice, Vol. 2, spring, 2009 p. 68-75, New York State United Teachers
- Rizopoulos, L. , Nicoletti, A. (2009). Pre-service teachers’ reflections on effective strategies for teaching ESL students i. The Journal of Latinos and Education. Vol. 8, issue 1 p. 67-76, Routledge Publishers
- Rizopoulos, L. (2008). Counting on accountability: Outcome-based assessment, Understanding and Teaching Today’s Students, the National Catholic Educational Association, edited by William Merriman and Augustine Nicoletti, p. 125-136 (Book chapter)
- Rizopoulos, L. (2005). Journals help students make personal connections to scripture, Momentum, September/October, 2005. Vol XXXVI No. 3 p. 76-79
- Rizopoulos, L. (2004). An inquiry-based, multimedia approach to literacy and curriculum development: Preparing secondary pre-service teachers for the 21st century. Theories and Practice. The Utah Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, Volume XV, summer, 2004, Constructive Acountability: Creating a Culture for Progress. p. 9-12
- Rizopoulos, L. (2004). Learning from content area textbooks – strategies for the inclusion classroom The Reader v.28m Summer, p. 25-28.
- Rizopoulos, L. (2004). Traditional and innovative approaches to fluency development: The neglected area of the curriculum. The Language and Literacy Spectrum – The Journal of the New York State Reading Association. V. 14, spring, 22-30. Internet site: http://www.nysreading.org/Publications/llsv14spring2004.pdf
- Rizopoulos, L. Wolpert, G. (2004). An overview of the techniques used to develop the literacy skills of adolescents with developmental delays. Education, v. 125 fall, 2004 No. 1 p. 130-136
- Rizopoulos, L. (2009). Using technology to develop literacy skills, Using Technology in 21st Century Schools, The National Catholic Educational Association, reviewed by William Merriam and Augustine Nicoletti. pp. 95-109
- Rizopoulos, L. (2008). Counting on accountability: Outcome-based assessment, Understanding and Teaching Today’s Students, the National Catholic Educational Association, reviewed by William Merriman and Augustine Nicoletti, pp. 125-136.
College-Wide Publications: (Discontinued publication)
- Rizopoulos, L. (2005) Equity and diversity resources, Vistas Education Journal, published by Kappa Delta Pi, the honor society in education. (The Journal of Education at Manhattan College)
- Rizopoulos, L. (2005): Developing literacy skills through the use of computer assisted instruction- resources for the general education teacher Written by: The Reading in the Content Area Class (402) Edited by Dr. Lisa Anne Rizopoulos, Vistas Education Journal, published by Kappa Delta Pi, the honor society in education.
- Rizopoulos, L. (2004). An interview with multicultural author Denize Lauture, Stories that highlight Haitian culture. Vistas Education Journal, published by Kappa Delta Pi, the honor society in education.
- Rizopoulos, L (2003) Teaching literacy development through an inquiry-based, multimedia approach Vistas Education Journal, published by Kappa Delta Pi, the honor society in education. Vistas Journal of the School of Education, 14-16
- Rizopoulos, L. (2003) Stories of hope and peace Vistas Education Journal, published by Kappa Delta Pi, the honor society in education. Vistas Journal of the School of Education, 29
Proceeding Of A Conference:
- Rizopoulos, L. (2005) Vocabulary for the inclusive classroom. Audio taped presentation for the International Dyslexia Association archives. (peer reviewed).
- Rizopoulos, L. Lahey, T., (2022). Learning about learning and teacher education from alumni. American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE)
- Rizopoulos, L. Lahey, T. (2022). Differentiating literacy instruction for ENL learners. New York State TESOL Annual Conference (November, 2022)
- Rizopoulos, L., Lahey, T, Mulqueen, K. (2020). The Skyfactor solution: leveraging alumni relationships to improve teacher education. The Association for Advancing Quality in Educator Preparation. AAQEP Quality Assurance Symposium. Conference in Atlanta, GA
- Rizopoulos, L. Lahey, T. (2019). Strategies for success: supporting English/Multilanguage learners in diverse learning environments. The New York State Association for Bilingual Educaton. (NYSABE).
- Rizopoulos, L. Lahey, T. (2019). Literacy strategies to empower and nurture ENL learners. New York State TESOL 49th Annual Coference. New York.
Rizopoulos, L. Juncaj, L. (2017). Voices of the homeless: Lasallians making a difference. Huether Conference, Denver CO
Rizopoulos,L. Tomoshosky, R. (2016) I bambini di Scampia at the Huether Conference, Chicago.
Rizopoulos, L. Tosano, L. (2015) Empowering English as a second language learners – Strategies for success. The National Catholic Education Association, Orlando, FL
Rizopoulos, L. (2013). Strategies for Developing English Language Learner's Literacy Skills – A Focus on Vocabulary Strategies. International Dyslexia Association
Rizopoulos, L. (2012). Comprehension strategies for ESL learners in the inclusive classroom. International Dyslexia Association
Rizopoulos, L. Juncaj, L. (2012). Local schools as global communities. Huether Conference, Washington, D.C. (Presented with Michelle Pilazzo and Ondrea Bradley, KDP students)
Rizopoulos, L, (2012). Prezi professional development workshop at Manhattan College
Rizopoulos, L. (2012). Lasallian Conversations at Manhattan College
Rizopoulos, L. Jacobs, M.A. (2012). Meaningful learning for life. Assumption College for Sisters, Mendham, New Jersey
Rizopoulos, L. (2011/2012). Strategies for teaching ESL students. Presented at Manhattan College with education students Ana Diaz and Maxiel Peralta
Rizopoulos, L. (2011).Vocabulary development for English as a second language learners Dyslexia Association
Rizopoulos, L. (2010).Comprehension strategies for ESL Learners. International Dyslexia Association –
Rizopoulos, L, (2009). Vocabulary development for English as a Second language learners International Dyslexia Association .
Rizopoulos, L. Wolpert, G. (2009). A natural approach to differentiation. Kappa Delta Pi Convention in Florida. (Blind reviewed for selection - International)
Rizopoulos, L. (2008). Strategies for English as a second language parental involvement – An untapped resource International Dyslexia Association.
Rizopoulos, L. (2007). Vocabulary strategies for the inclusion classroom. St. Thomas Aquinas College/The Rockland Reading Council
Rizopoulos, L. (2006). Comprehension strategies that get students thinking. St. Thomas Aquinas College/ The Rockland Reading Council
- Rizopoulos, L.(2005). Balanced literacy. Presented for Kappa Delta Pi and the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development. (April 13, 2005)
- Rizopoulos, L. (2005). Famous women in history for Project Americana – The Yonkers Public School District April, 2005 and May 24, 2005
- Rizopoulos, L. (2005). Adapting literature circles for the inclusive classroom. Presented at the New York City Association of Assistant Principals (NYCAAPSE) – Our Mutual Estate: Looking Both Ways: Literary Perspectives Theme: Literature and Teaching Literature, May 24, 2005
- Rizopoulos, L. (2005). Using technology for inquiry and literacy development. Intec Middle School, Bronx, NY
- Rizopoulos, L.(2005). A Multisensory approach to vocabulary development. Presented at the St. Thomas Aquinas Literacy Extravaganza – The Rockland Reading Council, a chapter of the International Reading Association.
- Rizopoulos, L. (2004). Reading in the content areas. Presented and created for the Carmel School District. Workshops for district-wide staff development.
- Rizopoulos, L. (2004). Strategies for activating prior knowledge across the content areas. Faculty Development at Manhattan College, January, 2004
- Rizopoulos, L. (2004). Primary writing strategies. The Urban Special Education Leadership Collaborative Education Development Center, Inc. Building Literacy in the Primary Grades – Yonkers Public School District, August 14, 2004
- Rizopoulos, L. (2004). Effective strategies for teaching mysteries. Presented for the Rockland Reading Council (May 20, 2004)
- Rizopoulos, L. (2004). Curriculum Adaptations. Presented for the Special Education Training and Resource Center – the Yonkers Public Schools. (June 19, 2004)
- Rizopoulos, L. (2003). Personal reflections on student teaching. Student Teaching Commitment and Commissioning, August 26, 2003
- Rizopoulos, L. (2003). Literacy and your children – Effective at-home literacy strategies. Pelham Middle School, Pelham, NY January 8, 2003
- Rizopoulos, L. (2003). Reading in the content areas – An emphasis on comprehension and vocabulary development. Presented for the Archdiocese of New York, November, 2003.
- Rizopoulos, L. (2002). The writing process – helping children become fluent creative writers. Presented for the Yonkers Public School System – Staff Development Workshops (November 17, 2002)
- Rizopoulos, L. (2002). Education in urban communities: Startling statistics from the field. Social action workshop for Lois Harr. 2001 and 2002.
- Rizopoulos, L. (2002). Building a strong learning community (2 sessions) The 27th Annual Parents and Reading Conference (January 4, 2002) Manhattan Reading Council – An affiliate of the New York State Reading Association and chartered by the International Reading Association
- Rizopoulos, L. (2002). Informal/authentic reading assessment. Presented Community School District 11 faculty, Bronx, NY
- Nicholson, K., J.F. Evans, D. Darbee and L. Rizopoulos (March, 2002). Building a Community of Learners: Living. Teaching, and Learning in a Democratic Community. Paper presented at the annual AILACTE Conference in New York.
- Rizopoulos, L. (2002). Strategies and activities for improving comprehension. Sacred Heart, Yonkers, NY (August 2, 2002
- Rizopoulos, L. (2001). An overview of the volunteerism at the Manhattan College Learning Resource Clinic. Presented at the Institute for Catholic Identity: Called to Cure: Spirituality, Service, and Social Justice, Manhattan College, June 28, 2001.
- Rizopoulos, L. (2000). Primary writing strategies. Theme: Building Literacy in Primary Grades. Presented to The Urban Special Education Leadership Collaborative Education Development Center, Inc. The Yonkers Public School District (August 14, 2000)
Professional Experience and Memberships
- The International Reading Association
- The International Dyslexia Association
- Kappa Delta Pi
- The Association for Curriculum Development
- New York State Permanent Public School Teacher Certificate in Literacy (K-12)
Honors, Awards, and Grants
Honors & Awards :
- Chair of the undergraduate Education Department (2013-2017)
- Awarded as being one of the most influential women in the Bronx (2015)
- Distinguished Woman of the Year - Amy Paulin, Congressional Award from Westchester County 3/29/2014. Dr. Lisa Anne Rizopoulos Day is on March 29, 2014.
- Woman of Distinction Award from Manhattan College (2014)
- Editor and submission award from the Educator's Voice (2014-2015)
- Recipient of the Distinguished Lasallian Educator Award (2013). Recognition for commitment to the ideals of John Baptist de La Salle including excellence in teaching, respect for individual dignity, and commitment to social justice.
- Commendation letter from Brother Alvaro, Superior General and Brother Schieler, General Councilor for the article titled, "Lasallian Practices Offer Strategies for Understanding 21st Century Students" in Momentum.
- Award from the Professional Journal of the New York Academy of Public Education for the article, "Strengthening Family Involvement for Second Language Learners." Editor and reviewer awards.
- Chosen for the International Leadership Prgoram for Lasallian Universities, June, 2011, Rome, Italy.
- Inducted/reinducted into Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society in Education (Fordham University and Manhattan College)
- Awarded for scholarship and teaching by Kappa Delta Pi.
- Acknowledged by the New York State United Teachers for an exemplary article submission to the Educator’s Voice. 2009
- Nominated for an Alumni Achievement Award from Fordham University, 2005-2006
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers – Awarded in September, 2005-2006
- Kappa Delta Pi – Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society in Education – Fordham University, Manhattan College
- Kappa Delta Pi – Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society in Education – Award for Scholarship and Leadership.
- Re-inducted into the Manhattan College Chapter of Kappa Delta Pi – April, 2004
- Acknowledged for co-sponsoring the Rockland Literacy Extravaganza (2002- 2005)
- Inducted in Kappa Delta Pi - Fordham University Chapter – 1999 and acknowledged for Educational Leadership 2005