Associate Professor Emeritus, Economics & Finance
Dr. Faraj Abdulahad is an Associate Professor Emeritus of Economics and Finance at Manhattan College, where he has served since 1970 in various roles including department chairperson, dean, program director and assistant provost. Dr. Abdulahad retired from his full-time role in 2012 and now teaches one course each semester.
Publications and Scholarly Activities
- “Work Conditions for Women in Present-Day Turkey: An Interview Study”, with Carolyn E. Predmore, Frederick D. Greene, Ahmed Goma and Alfred R. Manduley . THE INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MANAGEMENT,Vol. 26 No. 3, December 2009, pp. 387-393.
- “The Living Wage and the Effects of Real Minimum Wages on Part-Time and Teen Employment,” (with H. Guirguis), Employee Responsibilities and Rights Journal, Vol. 15, No. 1, March 2003, pp.1-9.
Other Intellectual Contributions:
- “Oh Is That What You Mean?” Miscommunication Between Management and Millennial Generation”, with Carolyn E. Predmore, Ahmed Goma and Alfred R. Manduley in the PROCEEDINGS OF THE 17TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE Association on Employment Practices and Principles, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, September 23-25, 2009.
- “The Use of Role Playing Environments to Inculcate Business Culture in New Employees” with Carolyn E. Predmore , Ahmed Goma and Alfred R. Manduley, in the PROCEEDINGS OF THE 16TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE of the Association on Employment Practices and Principles, Chicago, Ill., October 2-4, 2008.
- “Women and Work in Turkey” A Relational Stakeholder Analysis”, with Carolyn E. Predmore, Frederick D. Greene, Ahmed Goma and Alfred R. Nanduley in the proceedings of the twelfth international conference of the eastern academy of management on Managing in the Global Economy, Amesterdam, The Netherlands, June 24-28, 2007.
- “Backing of Stock Options: Do Corporate Ethics Matter to Consumers and Other Stockholders?, with Carolyn E. Predmore, Alfred R. Manduley and Ahmed Goma, in the PROCEEDINGS OF THE 15TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE Association on employment practices and Principles, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, October 4-6, 2007.
- “What Happens if Your Processes Don’t Work? CRM and Sarbanes-Oxley Nightmares”, with Carolyn E. Predmore, Ahmed Goma and Alfred R. Manduley, in the PROCEEDINGS OF THE 14TH ANNUAL COMNFERENCE of the Association on Employment Pracices and Principles. New York, NY, October 5-7, 2007. Also reviewed the following two articles for the same Conference. Both were accepted for presentation:
- “Reconciliation to U.S. Financial Accounting Standards: Domestic Standards or International Financial Reporting Standards”.
- “Testing the Johnson ‘Public Sector Union Strike Success’ Hypothesis on Illinois Firefighter Strikes, 1968-1980”
- “Management of Product Augmentation in the Legal Environment: Impact of Sarbanes-Oxley,” ( with A. Goma, A. Manduley, and C. Predmore), Proceedings, Association on Employment Practices and Principles, Baltimore, MD, October 2005, pp. 93-97.
- “Sarbanes – Oxley Impact on Trust: Leadership in Creating Virgue in Consumers’ Perceptions, GDP, and Trade Deficits,” (with A. Goma. A. Manduley, and C. Predmore), Proceedings, Association of Employment Practices and Policies, Fort Lauderdale, FL, October 2004, pp. 199-204.
- “Ethics, Religiousness, and Prejudice,” (with A. Goma, A. Manduley, and C. Predmore), 10th Annual Business Ethics Conference, St. John’s University, New York, NY, October 2003.
- “Retailing in an Environment of Terrorism and Responsibility to Employees,” (with A. Manduley and C. Predmore), Proceedings,Association on Employment Practices and Principles, San Diego, CA, October 2003, pp. 164-167.
- “Women Marketers of Non-Gender Products in the Middle East: A Comparative Study Between Saudi-Arabia and the United Arab Emirates,” (with S. Khelfaoui, A. Manduley, B. Miranda, and C. Predmore), Eastern Academy of Management, Porto, Portugal, June 2003.
- “The Effect of Expected Changes in Monetary Policy on the Long-Term Interest Rate,” (with H. Guirguis and C. Giannikos), Eastern Economic Association, New York, NY, February 2003.
- “Religiousness and Perception of Ethics in Other Religious Denominations,” (with A. Goma, A. Manduley, and C. Predmore),Proceedings, Association on Employment Practices and Principles, New York, NY, October 2003, pp. 97-102.
- “The Living Wage Movement: A Fad or the Wave of the Future?” Association on Employment Practices and Principles, San Francisco, CA, October 2001.
Professional Experience and Memberships
- Assistant Provost for Graduate and Special Programs 1991-1993
- Dean of the Schopol of Business 1985-1991
- Assistant Dean of the School of Business 1980-1985
- Director of the MBA Program 1975-1980
- Chairperson of the Economics & Finance Department 1971-1979,1995-1996, 1999-2003,
- Assistant Dean, College of Administration and Economics 1969-1970
Al-Hikma University, Baghdad, Iraq
- Acting Dean, School of Business Administration, 1968-1969
- American Economic Association
- Society for the Advancement of Behavioral Economics
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- Delta Mu Delta
- Omicron Delta Epsilon, the International Honor Society for Economics
Honors, Awards, and Grants
"Distinguished LaSallian Educator" for 1999
Public Service: Vice-President and member of the Board of Directors of the Kingsbridge-Riverdale-Van Cortland Development Corporation from 1993-2012: a community enhancement organization Trustee and member of the Parish and Financial Councils of St. Margaret of Cortona Parish (Riverdale, N.Y)