Information about Admission to the IELP
Prospective undergraduate students who meet all admission requirements to Manhattan College except for English proficiency requirements will be considered for Conditional Admission. Students should follow the application process for Undergraduate Applicants below.
Students who wish to study only at the IELP should see admission for IELP-Only Student below. Students who seek IELP-Only Admission need to have completed high school.
Students who receive Conditional Admission or IELP-Only admission will be issued form I-20 for an F-1 visa.
There are two pathways for study at the Manhattan College IELP:
1. Undergraduate Applicants who are seeking Conditional Admission
Undergraduate Students (for Conditional Admission):
2. Applicants interested in studying only at the IELP
- English translation of secondary school (high school) transcript
- IELP application
Financial Documentation and the I-20
The I-20 is a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status for those who wish to study in the U.S. An admitted student takes the I-20 to the American embassy or consulate when he/she applies for a student visa. You are an international student requiring an I-20 if you:
- Are currently studying in the United States on a student visa (F-1) in high school, college, or an English language program;
- Or intend to enter the United States with a student visa.
Financial Documentation Necessary for the I-20:
U.S. government regulations require students who will hold an F-1 student visa to prove to the college that they will be financially supported while they are enrolled. For this purpose, you must submit the Certificate of Financial Responsibility (CFR), which is a notarized affidavit from your sponsor, and the following supporting documents:
- An original letter/bank statement from your sponsor's financial institution stating the amount of funds available in the account(s) that will be used to sponsor you.
- A copy of your passport identification page.
- An official transcript from high school or previous college/university studies.
- The notarized affidavit of support and all supporting documents must be signed and dated no more than nine months prior to your projected enrollment at Manhattan College.
- The affidavit is sent to you along with your acceptance materials.
- Financial documents must be originals and can be emailed from the student/sponsor or mailed to Manhattan College. If faxed, the financial documents must come directly from the financial institution.
- Documentation of financial resources must be on bank letterhead, with amounts denominated in U.S. dollars, and must include a stamp and/or signature from the bank.
Students currently attending school in the U.S. will need to submit copies of all previous I-20s and their completed I-20 transfer form.
Ms. Debbi Damico
Director, International Student and Scholar Services
4513 Manhattan College Parkway
Riverdale, NY 10471
Student Visa Status: I-20 Certificate of Eligibility
When will the I-20 be mailed to students?
Students should apply to the IELP early in order to receive the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility. The I-20 is required for students to obtain F-1 non-immigrant student visas before leaving their countries. Manhattan College will only issue an I-20 when all documents are received.
The I-20 Certificate of Eligibility, by U.S. law, is valid for one year from the date of issue. It does, however, stipulate a specific arrival date. Students who cannot enter the U.S. before the specified date should request an extension by contacting the Intensive English Language Institute. There is no extra charge if the original I-20 is still valid.
It is required by U.S. Immigration law that a student enroll at the institution which issues the I-20 used by the student to enter the United States.