Common Questions

  • Are all students eligible for study abroad?
    All undergraduate students, regardless of major, who are in good academic standing, (with at least 2.75 GPA) are eligible. Usually, students who study abroad are juniors or first semester seniors; some programs accept sophomores. If you plan to study abroad as a sophomore, you should have a clear idea of your major or concentration. We do not offer study abroad programs for graduate students.
  • Do I need to major in a foreign language in order to study abroad?
    No. There are programs for any major and any field of study. Come to the Study Abroad office and browse through the study abroad brochures and catalogs or make an appointment to speak to the study abroad advisor.
  • Are courses taught in the language of the host country?
    Not all courses. Academic options are available at various language levels as well as in English. You can take courses in English or in a foreign language, or you can combine courses, some in English, and some in the foreign language. Most programs have an intensive credit bearing language program in the beginning of the semester.
  • Are all credits earned abroad transferable to Manhattan College?
    Yes, provided you have seen your academic and study abroad advisors prior to applying and enrolling in a program. You must earn a grade of C or better in order to transfer the credits. Credits earned for courses not taught by a Manhattan College faculty member will not be calculated into your GPA.
  • Will I graduate on time if I study abroad?
    Yes, if you have carefully planned your study abroad semester or year. Consulting with your advisors early on is crucial to a successful completion of a program. We recommend that you start planning during your freshman year.
  • How much do study abroad courses cost?
    On average, the cost of studying abroad for a semester is comparable to a semester at Manhattan College.
  • Are there scholarships available for study abroad?
    Unfortunately, not as many as we would like to see offered. However, several of our affiliated institutions such as AIFS, Globalinksabroad and IES offer partial scholarships. Be sure to check with the program you are applying to for their scholarship information.
  • Is financial aid available to those who plan to study abroad?
    If you are currently receiving financial aid, you can apply for your aid package (except Manhattan College scholarships) for your semester or year abroad. You can apply your Manhattan College scholarships only to the Manhattan College-sponsored programs.
  • What if I need to cancel my program? Are deposits refundable?
    Notify the study abroad office immediately if you decide to withdraw from a program. All deposits are non-refundable, but in some cases may be credited to a student account.
  • Is work available abroad?
    Rarely, as most countries have stringent labor laws. On occasions, students might find jobs in interpreting, teaching English or child care.
  • Are there internships available during a study abroad program?
    Many programs offer internship opportunities as part of semester/year abroad study programs. All internship possibilities must be approved by Manhattan College according to the rules and regulations followed for registering internships.