Student Employment Instructions
Students seeking FWS or CE must meet all the general eligibility requirements for Title IV financial aid programs and continue to show demonstrated financial need.
In addition to the basic federal requirements, a student must:
1. File the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) by the annual deadline.
2. Visit manhattan.edu/plantopay and complete all mandatory Financial Aid Checklist items. Confirm your eligibility by processing an official ACCEPT or DECLINE of the FWS or CE offer on Self-Service.
3. While still logged in to Self-Service, select the Financial Aid tab, then Work Study Menu > Confidentiality and Contract Agreement
4. Complete and submit the W-4 Form, required annually, to the Financial Aid Administration office. Please allow 2-3 business days for processing
Finding a Job
Log in to Self-Service > Financial Aid > Student Employment Menu > View My Work Study Status two business days after submitting required paperwork. Complete any missing steps. Students who submit all required documents will have access to the Job Postings site from their View My Work Study Status page.
Required Paperwork Once Hired:
- All hired students must submit an I-9 form with proofs of identity. The Dept. of Homeland Security's Employment Eligibility Verification is required for first-time student employees.
- First-time student employees must visit our office with the ORIGINAL proofs of identification along with the signed form (acceptable proofs are listed on the last page of the I-9). No photocopies will be accepted.
- Students who worked on campus or at a qualifying community service site last year do not need to resubmit this form or any IDs.
Authorization to Work
There is an official system in place to record students eligible for hire and to record a department’s hiring decision.
Once a student completes and submits all mandatory and necessary paperwork, Financial Aid Administration will perform a final review of the eligibility requirements. Provided there are no outstanding requests for financial aid documentation and/or FAFSA verification, a student will be packaged for their award type (FWS or CE) if they have not already been packaged. An authorization to work record is automated by the ITS office, which places the student on the supervisors' eligible-to-hire list via Self-Service. At this point, the student can proceed to browse for online job postings through the designated Manhattan College website, linked from their Self-Service account.
Under no circumstances are students who are not compliant with the paperwork process and document submission eligible to search for jobs on campus. Therefore, no department can interview or hire a student who does not appear on the Self-Service referral list. There are no exceptions. A department cannot allow a student to begin working until they appear on the online referral for student employment since the date of hire will be electronically recorded and submitted to the payroll department.