Safety and Security Systems
First Aid and Automated External Defibrillator Certification (AED)
The majority of Public Safety officers and supervisors are certified in first aid, CPR and automated external defibrillator (AED) use. The AED is used to treat victims who are experiencing sudden cardiac arrest.
Manhattan College has secured AEDs at strategic campus locations to ensure a timely response to individuals in cardiac arrest.
AED Campus Locations
- Mobile unit: Public Safety patrol vehicle
- Main entrance, Public Safety booth
- Horan Hall lobby, Public Safety desk
- Overlook Hall lobby, Public Safety desk
- East Hill, Public Safety desk
- Research and Learning Center lobby, Public Safety desk
- Draddy Gym, between restrooms
- Broadway Parking Facility, Manhattan College Parkway Public Safety booth (when Public Safety officer is assigned)
- O’Malley Library, behind circulation desk
- Alumni Hall, athletic trainers' office (see section II of this policy)
911 Communications and Notifications
It is the policy of the Manhattan College Public Safety office to respond to every request for emergency services, as soon as possible. To facilitate our response, our telephone system is programmed to immediately notify Public Safety anytime someone dials 911 from a campus telephone; when 911 is called, Public Safety is also dispatched to the location where the call was placed to stabilize the situation until emergency services arrive.
Emergency Blue-Light System
Broadway Parking Facility
There are at least four emergency call boxes on each level of the Broadway Parking Facility. The emergency call boxes are located at each stairway entrance and at other strategic locations including the Broadway exit, bridge, tower elevator and two on the roof landing.
The call boxes are red with a telephone handset image printed on the side. The face of the call box has a single red button, speaker and red light. Almost all call boxes are located under or near a blue light.
- Press the call button on the unit one time, the call box is activated and automatically dials Public Safety. When it is pressed a second time the call is disconnected.
- You will have immediate voice communication with a Public Safety officer.
- Explain the nature of your emergency and if practical wait at that location until Public Safety arrives. Public Safety will respond whether there is voice communication or not, and they will inspect the area and review CCTV footage to determine who activated the alarm
There are three emergency blue-light units installed at the following strategic locations on the Manhattan College campus:
- Unit 1 Financial Services, on Miguel Path to Hayden
- Unit 2 Thomas Hall/O'Malley Lower Corridor to East Hill (under library bridge)
- Unit 3 Horan Hall Steps (Post Rd. to Horan Hall Service Rd.)
Like the garage blue-light system and response protocol, there is a single button on each unit to open communications with a Public Safety officer. Once the button is pressed the communication link remains open until the receiving officer hangs up the phone. The emergency call boxes have a blue light mounted at the top of the unit to identify its location. When the emergency button is pressed the blue light has a strobe built in that begins to flash and continues to flash for several minutes after the call is disconnected.
Closed-Circuit Television System
Manhattan College employs a large number of strategically placed closed-circuit television cameras (CCTV) throughout our facilities. Their placement is intended as a deterrent to criminal activity and to document events for recall and prosecution, when appropriate.
Text Security Alerts
Manhattan College uses text messaging to assure timely mass communication in case of an emergency. Individuals can register up to two cell phones and two email addresses.
This system will be used to communicate with you only regarding situations that may pose a threat to the safety, health or well-being of members of our community and/or weather situations that may interrupt scheduled classes or activities.
e2Campus Customer Service: 800-936-3525