Whether Federal, State or Local, working for the government can be a very rewarding career. The opportunities within the government vary widely and can be determined based on your skillset and interest in working with particular populations.
Manhattan College Resources
Federal Internships/Jobs Webinars
The ABC's of Finding a Job in Government
Federal Intern and Entry-Level Hire Roundtable
Landing Your Dream Job or Internship
How to Create a Strong Federal Resume
- BAE Systems
- Central Intelligence Agency
- Department Of Agriculture
- Department of the Treasury
- Department Of Veterans Affairs
- District of Columbia Courts
- Doctors Community Hospital
- DTSV, Inc.
- IDiscovery Solutions, Inc.
- IEEE Corporate
- Millennium Challenge Corporation
- Northrop Grumman
- RehabCare Group
- Right Fit Recruiting
Sample Employers in NYC
Sample Job Titles
- Children and Families Program Specialist
- Credit Union Examiner
- Immigration Services Officer
- Individual Taxpayer Advisory Specialist
- Management Assistant
- Security Specialist
- Social Insurance Administrator
Job Listing Sites
- US Department of State Careers - Comprehensive overview of career options and requirements, student programs, and interactive tools to explore compatibility within Foreign Service
- USA Jobs - The official job site and source of employment information of the US Federal Government
- USA.gov - Government information by topic, including Jobs and Education sections, and a government agency index
- USA Jobs - Students and Graduates - One-stop portal for a range of Federal Government employment opportunities for students in college and graduate school
- Govloop - Social networking site for the government community, including students interested in public policy
- FedWorld - Links to top government sites and listings of independent US Federal Agencies and Commissions
- Federal Job Search - User-friendly listing of government opportunities, searchable by career type and state
- Making the Difference - Source for federal jobs and internships - where to find them and how to get them
- Electronic Embassy - Listings of foreign embassies of Washington D.C., for career research, job and internship search information
- HillZoo - Job postings for On-the-Hill and Off-the-Hill jobs, especially useful for students seeking internships
- RollCall - The newspaper of Capitol Hill, and a free employment service to search for jobs or post a resume
- Women in Government Relations - Provides members with the educational programming and major networking opportunities to further career development and professional growth
- The Urban Fellows Program (NYC) - Designed to introduce college students and graduates to local government and public service, this program as well as internships and jobs are presented
- Opportunities in Public Affairs - Capitol Hill, Public Relations, and Public Affairs jobs in the Washington, D.C. area
- LobbyingJobs - Recruitment assistance and lobbying career opportunities for Local, State and Federal Lobbyists, Advocacy, Public Policy, Public Affairs and Government Relations professionals
- Democratic GAIN - Career resources including a job posting board for individuals interested in work in democratic and progressive politics
- Gop.com - Republican National Committee site
- American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators
- Voluntary non-profit association of state and provincial motor vehicle administration officials in the US and Canada, concerned with consistent enforcement of laws concerning traffic safety and driver licensing.
- American Council for Technology (ACT)
- Focused on creating cross-sector networks encompassing all levels of government. Site provides details on the council's mission, events, publications, awards, scholarship programs, and leadership. Formerly known as the Federation of Government Information Processing Councils (FGIPC).
- American Foreign Service Association Organization dedicated specifically to preserving and enhancing the integrity of the U.S. Foreign Service.
- American Public Works Association Voluntary association of mostly municipal workers dealing with services such as water, sewer, and traffic control.
- American Society for Public Administration Voluntary organization of government officials and employees. Faith Based and Community Initiatives – is an independent website linking grant application programs within the departments of Labor, Education, Justice, Health and Human Services, and Housing and Urban Development.
- Money Transmitter Regulators Association Organization of money transmitters and check sellers. Conference schedule, bylaws, application and renewal forms.
- National Association of Development Organizations Lobbies the federal government to continue and expand economic development programs in smaller cities and rural areas.
- National Association of Government Archives and Records Administrators (NAGARA)
- Lists meetings and publications that explore developments and issues important to the profession, including challenges associated with electronic records management and preservation.
- National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials National association of housing and redevelopment officials.
- National Association of Regional Councils Coordinates the work of hundreds of councils facilitating inter-government planning in all fifty states.
- National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC) Information and policy papers on electric and telecommunications industry deregulation in the U.S. and in other countries and regions, as well as other economic and policy topics related to utilities regulation.
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW) An organization of professionals that sets standards and supports the development of members; includes news, member benefits and advocated social policies.
- National Institute of Governmental Purchasing Non-profit association for government purchasing agents. Includes reference materials for local government purchasing requests and links to related municipal government services.
- Partnership for Public Service Works to make the government an employer of choice for talented Americans.
- Project Safe Neighborhoods Provides nationwide coordination of local gun control and crime reduction programs.
- AvueCentral - Concise overview of "How the Feds Hire: The Process"
Social media/Newspaper/Industry resource
- Administration & Society
- The American Economic Review
- The American Enterprise ( Public Opinion)*
- American Politics Quarterly
- American Review of Public Administration
- Annals of the Amer Acad of Pol & Soc Sci
- The Brookings Review*
- Foreign Affairs*
- Harvard Business Review
- National Tax Journal
- Policy Studies Journal*
- Political Science Quarterly
- Public Administration Review
- Public Budgeting and Finance