The Counseling Graduate Program prepares graduate students for careers in a majority of settings such as schools including elementary, middle, and high school and colleges. In addition, counselors can work in hospitals, businesses, government and community agencies, and organizations. Master's level counseling degrees lead to doctoral degrees as there is a high demand for counseling psychologists, school psychologists, health psychologists, and clinical psychologists. Counselors and psychologists are the reason for the continuation of rising healthcare costs linked to unhealthy lifestyles, such as substance and alcohol abuse, depression, anxiety and other related disorders. The rising demand for counselors will be needed to help individuals suffering from mental health related issues, the growing population of elderly, and returning veterans.
Manhattan College Resources
- The Counseling Center
- The Center for Graduate School and Fellowship Advisement
- The Mentor Program
- New York State Psychiatric Institute - offers career and internship opportunities to both undergraduate and graduate students. In addition, the institute offers opportunities to conduct research and be part of research.
- New York Presbyterian - Westchester Division - offers career opportunities, volunteer opportunities for undergraduate students, and practicum internships for mental health counseling students and other related counselors.
- New York Presbyterian - advertises career opportunities in diverse fields of counseling and health, internships and volunteer opportunities for diverse fields.
- New York Department of Education offers career opportunities for teachers and counselors. Their site publishes the latest news and articles in education.
- New York City Department of Education District 75 offers career opportunities to special education professionals and both school and mental health counselors.
- New York State Office of Mental Health has job openings for counselors in hospitals and government agencies. In addition, their site has information on how to obtain licensure and other certifications.
- New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene - Provides career opportunities for counselors in hospitals, clinics, government and community agencies.
- Youth and Family Counseling Services (various locations) - offers career opportunities and practicum internships for counseling students. The organization offers youth and family counseling, including marriage therapy for couples and therapy for young adults.
- Ackerman Institute for the Family - offers career opportunities for counselors in the field of psychology.
- Institute for Contemporary Psychotherapy - offers career opportunities and aims to further develop counseling professionals by providing curriculums such as psychoanalysis.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Association - Provides career opportunities and practicum internships for students interested in working with alcohol and substance abuse clients. Through this program, students can also obtain a CASAC certification
- O*Net provides job opportunities in all fields.
- WetFeet offers internship opportunities and career advice
- Teacher Page is dedicated to sharing resources such as news, certification advise, and job postings with school counselors and other professionals encourageing the growth of students
Mental Health Counseling
- New York Presbyterian Careers provides careers, internships, and volunteer opportunities in counseling, social work, rehabilitation, and other related fields of study.
- American Mental Health Counseling Association Careers provides featured jobs in other states related to the field of counseling, provides liability insurance for students in practicum, and features related articles.
- Association of Marriage and Family Therapists provides online training, membership, job connections, supervision, research, and field articles.
Career Development Counseling
- New York State Association for College Admission Counseling provides job opportunities and conference information for counseling professionals.
- National Career Development Association provides job opportunities, supervision requests, conference information, and membership.
- Middle Atlantic Career Counselor Association provides scholarships and membership to professionals in the career counselig field.
- Metropolitan New York College Career Planning Officer's Association provides membership for career counselors and promotes career fairs.
Alcohol & Substance Abuse Counseling
- New York Presbyterian Careers Provides careers, internships and volunteer opportunities in counseling, social work, rehabilitation, and other related fields of study.
- National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors provides membership, online courses, and other resources for counselors.
- New York Presbyterian Careers Provides careers, internships and volunteer opportunities in in counseling, social work, rehabilitation, and other related fields of study.
- American Counseling Association Careers Provides careers and internships for members of ACA. In addition, the website provides journal articles, ethical news, licensure requirements and resources for employers in the field of Counseling.
- American Psychological Association Careers Provides resources for employers and provides sources for future employees in the field of psychology.
- American Mental Health Counseling Association Careers Provides featured jobs in other states related to the field of counseling, provides liability insurace for students in the field of counseling completing their practicum, and features counseling articles.
- American Counseling Association
- American Psychological Association
- American School Counseling Association
- East End Counselors Association
- New York Mental Health Counselor Association
- New York State School Counselor Association
- Westchester Putnam Rockland Counseling Association
- National Association for College Admission Counseling
- New York State Association for College Admission Counseling
- National Career Development Association
- Middle Atlantic Career Counseling Association
- National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors