Communications and Media
The communications and media fields are some of the fastest growing and rapidly changing industries. With the transition from print to online media, new job titles and opportunities are opening. From social media intern to digital strategist, opportunities for those interested in communications and media are very accessible. The traditional jobs in public relations and publishing are also flourishing with new and unique skill sets required as brands expand their presence online.
Industry Trends & Salary
Manhattan College Resources
Sample Employers Based in NY
Sample Job Titles
- Audio Engineer
- Camera Technician
- Communications Assistant
- Cyber Journalism
- Digital Strategist
- Editor and Content Strategy
- Flash Editor
- Magazine Editor
- Marketing and Communications Director
- Public Relations Intern
- Record Producer
- Social Media and Marketing Intern
- Sports Anchor
- Web Production
Job Listing Sites
- Media Bistro is an incredibly comprehensive site that will allow you to browse for jobs, attend events, and learn about a variety of media-related topics. You can search their job listings by industry, keyword, location, and more.
- MEOjobs is an aggregate resource site for career opportunities in media, communications and the arts.
- Publishing Jobs: Learn about jobs and related information to the publishing industry.
- Media Job Market: A comprehensive database of available jobs and internships in the media industry.
- Talent Zoo: Find advertising, new media, creative, and marketing jobs. This site also links to some very informative blogs you can read to learn about the industry.
- Public Relations Society of America: This PR-specific website lets you search for your ideal job in PR. You can filter the positions by location, position, industry and more.
- aaf.org: American Advertising Federation, New York
- adweek.com: Ad Week, New York
- daily-variety.com: Daily Variety, Los Angeles
- prsa.org: Public Relations Society of America, New York
- opinionworld.com: Marketing and research
Misc. Industry Resources & Links
- Poynter is home to several journalism-related articles, as well as breaking news in the journalism world, and useful How-To articles.
- PRSquared is a fun blog about getting ahead in the Public Relations world, while PR Week reports recent happenings in the industry.
- This New York Times blog claims to be "a guide to the media industry," as it publishes both news and opinions on the media industry, daily.
- Film Industry Bloggers provides daily insider insight on several different facets and jobs within the film industry.
- 10,000 Words, a blog hosted on Media Bistro, publishes engaging articles on the current happenings in the multimedia and online-advertising world.
- This aptly titled periodical explores and explains Publishing Trends on a monthly basis.
- The "Power 150" List ranks advertising blogs from all over the world, based on their popularity and reliability, and provides links to the top 150.
- New York University
- Columbia University
- Baruch College- CUNY
- Pratt Institute
- Pace University
- Hofstra University
- Marist College
- The College at Saint Rose
- Hunter College- CUNY
- Syracuse University
- Rutgers University
- Arizona State University
- University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
- The University of Texas at Austin
- University of Florida
- Michigan State University
- Pennsylvania State University
- Indiana University – Bloomington
- University of Georgia
- Brigham Young University