The Manhattan College Mentor Program assists students in making career-related decisions by exposing them to their intended industry/career at an early stage in their education. The program introduces students to a wide variety of career-related experiences, while emphasizing the importance of acting in a professional manner.
The Mentor Program provides opportunities for Manhattan College students to gain insight into their intended careers by being paired with professionals, generally Manhattan College alumni. Students grow personally and professionally as they learn about specific employment options and job responsibilities. Mentors are fulfilled by imparting their professional knowledge, and seeing the tremendous impact their participation makes on young Jaspers.
Commonly Scheduled Activities:
- Have lunch together
- Meet at the mentor’s worksite
- Review resume
- Participate in a mock interview
- Discuss career goals, job expectations, and employment trends
- Develop a professional networking plan
- Participate in a company tour
- Shadow a mentor or his/her colleague
- Contribute to a company project
- Attend a company meeting
- Participate in a professional development workshop together
- Explore concerns about the profession
Mentor Program Events
Mandatory Mentee Orientation Workshops
A student interested in enrolling in the Mentor Program must attend one workshop in order to be eligible for a match with a mentor.
New Mentor Orientation
First time mentors are provided a short training on how to be an effective mentor.
Meet & Greets
There are two kick-off networking events where mentors & mentees meet for the first time.
Mentor Program Dinner
The end of the mentor program is celebrated by this annual dinner.