Make the Most of Recruiting Events
Top 10 Ways to Make the Most of Recruiting Events
- Have a strategy for maximizing your time at the event. Check out the list of attending companies before the career fair.
- Don’t just drop off your résumé at each table. Make an effort to meet and speak with each recruiter whose company interests you. Make sure you bring enough copies of your résumé.
- When speaking with recruiters, try to avoid filler words such as “um,” “like” and “you know.”
- Dress professionally. Conservative is always the safe choice.
- A common question asked by recruiters is “Why do you want to work for our company?” Be prepared to answer that question by researching the companies ahead of time.
- Career fairs can be grueling as you meet one recruiter after another, so keep your energy level up and stay fresh.
- Make sure you get a business card from every recruiter you meet.
- Collect any company materials that are available. They will come in handy if you are invited for an interview.
- Write thank you notes. Most people who attend career fairs won’t do this. A thank you note will make you more memorable and provide you with another opportunity to attach your résumé.
- Follow up after the career fair. Email the recruiters you met and treat them as your first contact, not the last.