Manhattan College To Host National Hispanic Heritage Month Series of Events
The series features a visit from bestselling author Sonia Nazario and First Deputy Commissioner of the NYPD Rafael Pineiro.
In honor of National Hispanic Heritage Month, Manhattan College will host several events this fall, including a visit from Sonia Nazario, national bestselling author of Enrique’s Journey, and a discussion with Rafael Pineiro, first deputy commissioner of the New York City Police Department (NYPD).
On Oct. 17, Argentine-born Nazario will discuss her career as a journalist, as well as her book Enrique’s Journey, the true story of a Honduran boy’s struggle to find his mother in the U.S. The story started as a 2003 series in the Los Angeles Times, winning more than a dozen awards, and was eventually turned into a book. The book is required reading for incoming college freshmen at 62 institutions in the U.S. and multiple high schools, and this summer, it was the featured text for Manhattan College’s freshman class.
Spanish-born Rafael Pineiro will share his personal story including growing up in Cuba and his career with the NYPD on Oct. 29. Pineiro joined the NYPD more than 40 years ago and most recently served as the chief of personnel.
“Students, faculty and staff will have the unique opportunity to learn more about the history, culture and contributions of Hispanic Americans like Sonia Nazario and Rafael Pineiro and their ancestors through the College’s series of events,” said Sonny Ago, assistant vice president for student life.
The complete schedule of events include:
- Tuesday, Sept. 24: The first event will begin on Sept. 24 at 8 p.m. with a viewing of PBS’ film Latino Americans, the first major documentary series to chronicle the history and experiences of Latin Americans.
- Wednesday, Oct. 2: Colombian-born Hosffman Ospino, Ph.D., assistant professor of Hispanic ministry and religious education at Boston College, will present Can a Lasallian Catholic College Walk the Walk? on Oct. 2 at Manhattan College’s Lasallian Convocation at 3:45 p.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 17: After Sonia Nazario’s discussion on Oct. 17 at 7 p.m., members of the College community can participate in a Q-and-A with the author and have their books signed. Nazario’s visit is sponsored by Manhattan College’s Diversity Committee, which is committed to promoting multiculturalism.
- Monday, Oct. 28: Visual and performance artist Shaun “El C.” Leonardo will visit Manhattan College on Oct. 28 to discuss how images of Latino masculinity, pop culture iconography, and the landscape of New York City impact his work. The talk, entitled Artist Talk REMIX, starts at 5:30 p.m. in Miguel Hall, room 311 (Rodriguez Room).
- Tuesday, Oct. 29: Rafael Pineiro’s talk on Oct. 29 at 12 p.m. is also sponsored by the College’s Diversity Committee.
- Friday, Nov. 8: The College’s celebration concludes on Nov. 8 at 8 p.m. with a student Latinofest dinner and dance.