Manhattan College Celebrates 150th Anniversary of its Charter
To celebrate the sesquicentennial of the chartering of Manhattan College, take a look back at the events and milestones that have shaped the history of the College during the past 150 years.
1863: College is Officially Chartered
After originally being established in 1853 as an academy for day students, Manhattan College is officially incorporated as an institution of higher education through a charter granted by the New York State Board of Regents. Brother Patrick Murphy, FSC, is recognized as the first president of the College.
1869: First College Library Opens
A year after expanding the College’s property to accommodate a growing student body, the first Manhattan College library officially opens with more than 4,000 volumes.
1923: New Campus in Riverdale Opens
The College, under the guidance of Brother Thomas Fitzsimmons, FSC, moves to a new campus in Riverdale. With the help of alumni, the push for a new setting for Manhattan College is quickly realized.
1953: Manhattan College Parkway Named in Celebration of Cenntennial
To celebrate the 100th anniversary of the College’s founding, Spuyten Duyvil Parkway is renamed Manhattan College Parkway. Alumnus and famous singer Dennis Day ’38 lead the commemoration.
1965: College Eliminates Dress Code
In a shift toward relaxed student regulations, the College’s dress code requiring a jacket and tie is eliminated.
1971: Phi Beta Kappa Chapter Established
The College is invited to join some of the most respected institutions in the country as an official member of Phi Beta Kappa. The nation’s oldest academic honor society, Phi Beta Kappa promotes excellence in the liberal arts and sciences.
1973: College goes Co-Ed
Originally limited to men, the College becomes coeducational with the admittance of 71 women across all of the undergraduate schools.
1980: Jaspers Join the MAAC
Joining five other institutions, Manhattan College is named a charter member of the newly developed Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC).
1992: The Five Schools Are Established
After intense debate, the College is reorganized from four schools into five: Arts, Business, Education, Engineering and Science. An Arts, Education and Science Council is established to ensure communication between the schools.
2003: College Celebrates Sesquicentennial
Celebrating the 150th anniversary of the College’s original founding date, the Sesquicentennial Capital Campaign is launched with the goal of raising $150 million, the largest fundraising campaign in Manhattan’s history.
2012: Construction Begins on New Student Commons
Construction on the five-floor, state-of-the-art Raymond W. Kelly ’63 Student Commons begins. Scheduled to open in 2014, the student commons will unite the north and south campuses and will serve as a front door to the neighboring community.