History of the Windows
Steeped in the Lasallian tradition
The De La Salle windows were created in the early 1900s by Mazuet et fils, renowned father and son artisans based in Bayeux, Lower Normandy, whose work can be admired in the ancient churches and magnificent cathedrals of France, including Eglise Notre-Dame et Saint-Marcouf in Basse-Normandie. Mazuet et fils was founded in 1858, and both father, Leon-Louis, and son, Henri, were students of the Brothers in the late 1800s.
Originally, the windows were installed at St. Joseph's Novitiate in Pocantico Hills, N.Y., but the Novitiated relocated to Barrytown, N.Y. in 1930 after the Pocantico Hills property was sold to the Rockefeller estate. Today, the Barrytown property is transitioning and the windows are no longer needed on site, so Manhattan College has been given the opportunity to preserve the windows in its Chapel of De La Salle and His Brothers.
Professional artisans will carefully restore, customize and install the windows in a rectangular format to accommodate them into the current spaces in the chapel.
These special works should be preserved not only for the sheer beauty of stained glass but also for their rich spiritual, historic and artistic heritage of the life and work of De La Salle. Because the windows depict scenes from the life of our patron Saint, it is fitting that they should find a new home in his chapel at Manhattan College.