Department : Civil & Environmental Engineering
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone : 718-862-7323
Office : LEO 318C
- B.E. in Civil Engineering from the University of Wollongong, Australia
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from the the University of Wollongong, Australia
Current research activities include: a green roof project at New York Hospital, Queens. This project involves the installation of 14,000 square feet of modular green roofing. The performance of the roof is being monitored for several years. In a separate installation at the hospital, the performance of green roofs under shade conditions is being monitored. This is part of a grant from NYCDEP and NYSDEC.
Publications & Professional Activities
- Lowe, S.A. (2015) An energy and mortality impact assessment of the urban heat Island in the US. Environmental Impact Assessment Review. In press.
- Lowe, S.A. (2015) Sewer ventilation: Factors affecting airflow and modeling approaches. Journal of Water Management Modeling. In Press.
- Lowe, S.A. (2012) Improving the performance of power plant cooling ponds. J. of Env. Management, Vol. 105, pp 90-95.
- Wasp, R. and Lowe, S.A. (2011) Safe yield of the NYC water supply system – a look into the unpredictable future. Clearwaters, Vol.41, No. 2, pp 9-14.
- Lowe, S.A. (2010) Using natural sedimentation to backfill a dredged pipeline trench. Journal of Marine Engineering and Technology, No. A18., pp. 11-16.
- Lowe, S.A. (2010) Sanitary Sewer Design Using EPA Storm Water Management Model (SWMM), Computer Applications in Engineering Education. Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 203-212.
- Lowe, S.A. , Schuepfer, F. and Dunning, D. J. (2009) Three dimensional hydrodynamic model of a power plant thermal discharge, American Society of Civil Engineers, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol. 135, No. 4, pp. 247-257.
- Lowe, S.A. (2008) A Case Study of a Marine Filter Curtain System for Coliform Reduction at a Public Beach, American Society of Civil Engineers, Journal of Environmental Engineering, Vol. 134, No. 1, pp. 60-66.
- Lowe, S.A. (2006) HSPF Simulation of Runoff and Sediment Loads in the Upper Changjiang River Basin, China: a discussion, ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering, Vol. 132, No. 1, pp. 145-146.
- Lowe, S.A., Abood, K., Ko, J. and Wakeman, T. (2005) A Sediment Budget Analysis of Newark Bay, Journal of Marine Science and Environment, No.C3, pp. 27-44.
- Lowe, S.A. and Groninger, T. J. (2005) Estimation of the Longitudinal Dispersion Coefficient Using Velocity Profile in Natural Streams: a discussion, ASCE Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol. 131,No. 10, pp. 927-928.
- Lowe, S.A. (2005) Water Distribution System Design Using Mathematics Application Software, ASEE Computers in Education Journal, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 18-26.
- Lowe, S.A. (2005) Oxygen Sag Models for Multiorder Biochemical Oxygen Demand Reactions: a discussion, ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering, Vol. 131, No. 12, pp. 1760-1761.
- Lowe, S.A. (2004) Modeling of Municipal Secondary and Tertiary Wastewater Treatment Plants, ASEE Computers in Education Journal, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 42 - 50.
- Lowe, S.A. (2004) Estimation of Input Parameters in the HSPF Watershed Model, Journal of Engineering Technology, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 16-20.
- Lowe, S.A. (2004) Development of a Two Dimensional Air Quality Model for New York City, ASEE Computers in Education Journal, Vol. 14, No 2, pp.90-95.
- Lowe, S.A. (2003) The Omission of Critical Reynolds Number for Open Channel Flow in Many Textbooks, ASCE Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education & Practice, Vol. 129, No. 1, pp. 58-59.
- Lowe, S.A. and Doscher, R. (2003) Modeling of Urban Watersheds using BASINS and HSPF, Journal of Environmental Hydrology, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 1 – 16.
- Meyers, M., DiToro, D. M. and Lowe, S. A. (2001) Coupling Suspension Feeders to the Chesapeake Bay Eutrophication Model, Water Quality and Ecosystem Modeling, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 123-140.
- Lowe, S. A. (2001) Improving the Water Quality Calculation in Watershed Models, Journal of Environmental Hydrology, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 1-6.
- Lowe, S. A. (2001) Using Visual Basic to Interact with Excel, ASEE Computers in Education Journal, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 6-8.
- Lowe, S.A. and Pettenato, R. (2000) Reduction of Indoor Radon by Air Cleaning – A Case Study, ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering, Vol. 126, No.12, pp.1125-1130.
- Lowe, S.A. (1999) Utilizing CFD To Model Treatment Plants, Clearwaters, Vol 29, No. 3, p 22.
- Lowe, S. A. and Jain, C. K. (1998) A Case Study of Longitudinal Dispersion in Small Lowland Rivers: a discussion, Water Environment Research, Vol. 70, No 2, p. 42.
- Lowe, S.A. and Sivakumar, M. (1991) "A Penalty Finite Difference Model for Navier-Stokes Flow in Sedimentation Basins", Advances in Water Resources, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 318-322.
Honors & Awards
New York Metropolitan Transportation Council, September 11th Memorial Program Recipient, 2005.
- CIVL201: Green Building Design
- CEEN303: Fluid Mechanics
- CEEN307: Hydraulic Design
- ENVG702: Air Quality Models
- ENVG740: Coastal Engineering