Department : Modern Language & Literature
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone : 718-862-7917
Office : MEM 416
- PhD in French Linguistics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2006)
- DEA (Advanced Studies Diploma), Paul Valéry University, Montpellier, France, with honors (2000)
- M.A. in Linguistics, Paul Valéry University, Montpellier, France (1997)
- Basic language instruction, composition, language and culture, sociolinguistics, urban linguistics, language stereotypes, code switching and code mixing.
Publications & Professional Activities
- De la Médina à la Ville Nouvelle: Etude éthnolinguistique de la ville de Fes. Munich: LINCOM Europa, 2008.
ARTICLES/ BOOK CHAPTERS
- "The French Language, Gender, and the Discursive Construction of Sexuality in Morocco". Journal of Language and Sexuality (Accepted).
- "Un peso, mami: Linguistic Landscape and Transnationalism Discourses in Washington Heights, New York City." Coauthored with Chelsea Krajcik. Linguistic Landscape: An International Journal 2.2 (2016): 157-181
- "From Avenue de France to Boulevard Hassan II : and the Construction of Nationhood in Fes Toponymic Inscription (Morocco)." In Place Names in Africa: Colonial Urban Legacies, Entangled Histories, 79-93, Edited by Liora Bigon. Springer. 2016
- "Regulating and Negotiating Linguistic Diversity: Top-down and Bottom-up Language Planning in the Moroccan City." Current Issues in Language Planning 13, no. 3 (2012): 207–223.
- "Projecting, Exposing, and Revealing Self in the Digital World: Usernames as a Social Practice in a Moroccan Chatroom." Names: Journal of Onomastics 60, no. 4 (2012): 201–209.
- "Teaching an Undergraduate Course on la Francophonie: Guiding Students from Practice to Theory." Selected Proceedings of the AATF Convention, International Conference of the American Association of Teachers of French, Montréal, July 2011. Vol. 2, edited by Ann Williams, 1–15 (2012).
- "Kiff My Zikmu: Symbolic Dimensions of Arabic, English, and Verlan in French Rap Texts." In The Languages of Global Hip Hop, edited by Marina Tekourafi, 44–66. London: Continuum, 2010.
- Translation from French to English: Armand Mattelart, "Realpolitik and Utopias of Universal Bonds: For a Critique of Technoglobalism." In A Companion to Media Studies, edited by Angharad N. Valdivia. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2003.
- "L'opposition [e]-[E] en syllabes ouvertes de fin de mot en français parisien: Étude acoustique préliminaire. " [The [e] - [E] Distinction in Word-Final Open Syllables in Parisian French: Preliminary Acoustic Data]. Co-authored with Zsuzsanna Fagyal and Fallou Ngom. In Journées d'Etudes sur la Parole, 165–168. Nancy, France, 2002
- Claudia Esposito, The Mediterranean Narrative Beyond France and the Maghreb (Plymouth: Lexington Books, 2014) and Vassiliki Lalagianni and Jean-Marc Moura, eds., Espace méditerranéen: Écritures de l’exil, migrances et discours postcolonial (Amsterdam/New York: Rodopi, 2014), Contemporary French Civilization 40, no. 1. (2015): 89-93.
Book reviews :
- Review of Anna Tristam, Variation and Change in French Morphysyntax: The Case of Collective Nouns.Forthcoming .
- Review of Ibtissem Chachou, La situation sociolinguistique de l'Algérie: Pratiques plurilingues et variétés à l'oeuvre. French Review Review 88, no. 3 (2015): 276–277.
- Review of Jacky Simonin, Parcours d’un sociolinguiste banlieue nord de Paris/La Réunion (L’Harmattan, 2012). French Review 87, no. 2 (2013): 200–201.
- Review of Isabelle Pierozak, Thierry Bulot, and Philippe Blanchet, eds., Approches de la pluralité sociolinguistique: Vers quelles convergences des pratiques de recherche et d'éducation? French Review 86, no. 5 (2012): 45–46.
- Review of Emmanuelle Saada, Empire’s Children: Race, Filiation, and Citizenship in the French Colonies. Contemporary French Civilization 38, no. 1 (2012): 124–125.
- Review of Michaela Heinz, ed., Cultures et lexicographies. French Review 85, no, 4 (2012): 802–803.
- Review of Garbato, CA, and H Boyer, Les langues de France au XXIe siècle vitalité sociolinguistique et dynamiques culturelles. L'Harmattan: 2007. French Review (2009).
- Review of Fagyal, Z, D Kibbee and F Jenkins, French: A Linguistic Introduction. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2006. French Review (2008).
- Review of Eloy, J.M. Des Langues Collatérales: Problèmes Linguistiques, Sociolinguistiques et Glottopolitiques de la Proximité Linguistique, L'Harmattan, 2004. French Review (2006).
- Review of Caubet, D. Les Mots du Bled. L'Harmattan, 2004. Studies in the Linguistic Sciences (2005).
- Review of Kline, M and N. Mellerski. Issues in the French-Speaking World. Greenwood Press, 2004. Contemporary French Civilization (2005).
Presentations in Academic conferences:
- Semiotics and the Myth of Frenchness in the beauty industry. 40 years of Contemporary French Civilization conference. University of Maryland Baltimore County, Baltimore. September 3-5, 2015.
- Talking about sex in the Casbah: Sociolinguistic Analysis of Gender and the Discursive Construction of Sexuality in Morocco. 21st Annual Lavender Languages and Linguistics Conference. American University, Washington DC, February14–16, 2014.
- From Commemoration to Decommemoration: Revisiting the Colonial Past to Construct the Present in Moroccan Street Names. 2014 Annual Meeting of the American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA), New York University, March 20–23, 2014.
- Introducing the Self in a Digital Social Venue: Analysis of Username Choices in a Moroccan Chatroom. American Association for Corpus Linguistics. San Diego, CA, January 18– 20, 2013.
- From Marketing to Language Picking: Diachronic Analysis of Language Choices in Moroccan Print Advertising. International Linguistics Association. New York, April 13–15, 2012.
- Editing the City’s Text: Memory and National Identity in Postcolonial Moroccan Street Names. Northeast Modern Languages (NEMLA) Convention. Rochester, NY, March 15–18, 2012.
- Decrypting the French Colonial Association Doctrine through Street Names in Casablanca, Fes, and Rabat, Morocco.” American Name Society annual meeting in conjunction with the Linguistic Society of America, Portland, OR. January 5–8, 2012.
- Using Practical Analysis to Derive Theory in a Francophone Culture Course. American Association of French. Montreal, Canada, July 6–9, 2011.
- Diglossia’s Implications in Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language: From Theory to Practice. Georgetown University Round Table, Arabic Language, and Linguistics. Washington, DC, March 12–14, 2010.
- France’s History Is on a Street Sign in Fes! Research Institute for the Languages of Finland, Urban Place Names International Symposium. Helsinki, Finland, August 13–16, 2009.
- Westernity, authenticity, diversity and nationalism: An analysis of selected Moroccan rap lyrics. Arizona Linguistics and Anthropology Symposium, University of Arizona, Tucson, May 2008.
- My language is in your language: A discussion of languages in contact in France, Spain, and the Maghreb. Guest speaker at the College of New Rochelle, NY, September 2008.
- Give Me My Space Back! Viewing Colonization and Decolonization through the Toponymia of Fes (Morocco.) Mid-America Alliance for African Studies 12th Annual Meeting, St. Louis, Missouri, November 2006.
- Perceiving Cultural Differences: From a Fieldwork, a Study Abroad to Service Learning Program Led in Paris, with French 276 students, Speakers Series, Rockford College, October 2006.
- From a French Civilization Course to Civic Engagement and Short-Term Study Abroad: A Pilot Study. Strengthening Civic Engagement and Spirituality in Higher Education: A One Day Conference. DePaul University, Chicago, September 2006.
- Moroccan Students' Attitudes toward French. MLA (Modern Languages Association), Washington, D.C., December 2005.
- Black, Blanc, Beur; du Rap à l'identité. With Christopher Stewart. Conference on Diversity and Difference in France and the Francophone World, Florida State University, Tallahassee, April 2004.
- De l'Avenue de France au Boulevard Hassan II: 50 ans de transformation dans les dénominations de l'espace urbain de Fes (Maroc). Conference on Diversity and Difference in France and the Francophone World, Florida State University, Tallahassee, April 2004.
- L'opposition [E] Et [e] en Syllabes Ouvertes de Fin de Mot en Français Parisien: Etude Acoustique Préliminaire. With Zsuzanna Fagyal. Journées d'Etudes sur la Parole, Nancy, 2002.
- On the Prosodic Conditioning of the [E]et [e] Merger in Open-Syllables in Parisian French. With Zsuzsanna Fagyal and Fallou Ngom. NWAVE (New Ways of Analyzing Variation) 30, Raleigh, North Carolina, October 2001.
- ARAB 101 Beginning Arabic I
- ARAB 102 Beginning Arabic II
- ARAB 201 Intermediate Arabic I
- ARAB 301 Advanced Arabic I
- ARAB 302 Advanced Arabic II
- FREN 101 Beginning French I
- FREN 102 Beginning French II
- FREN 201 French for Communication I
- FREN 202 French for Communication II
- FREN 209 Speaking French
- FREN 210 Writing French
- FREN 301 Advanced French Conversation and Phonetics
- FREN 303 French Culture through Film
- FREN 307 Advanced Grammar and Composition
- FREN 308 Translation
- FREN 342 Francophone Literature and Culture
- FREN 420 French sociolinguistics
- MLL 095 Independent research study