Department : Civil & Environmental Engineering
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone : 718-862-7469
Office : LEO 314
Ph.D. in Structures, Mechanics and Materials, University of Iowa
M.Phil. in Civil Engineering, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
B.E. in Civil Engineering, Dalian University of Technology
Dr. Qian (Chen) Wang started at Manhattan College in 2012 and is an assistant professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering. He is a Licensed Professional Engineer (P.E.) and a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional (LEED AP) with 10 years of experience in various types of public and private projects.
His structural engineering experience includes large-scale and complex projects from high-rise buildings to long-span structures. Dr. Wang’s research interests are in structures, mechanics and materials, including reliability analysis and design optimization, multi-hazard and multi-physics analysis, crash and impact analysis, resilient and sustainable structures, and engineering education.
Civil Engineering High Performance Computer Lab (With Prof. Reeves Whitney, Prof. Yongwook Kim, and Prof. Nicole Leo Braxtan at UNCC)
Reliability and Fragility Analysis of Engineering Systems
Crash and Impact Analysis and Design
Multi-Hazard Modeling and Design
Sustainable Buildings and Infrastructures
Multi-Physics Analysis and Design
Multi-Body Dynamics and Human Modeling
Homeland Security and Defense Engineering
Optimization Algorithms and Engineering Applications
System Identification and Optimal Control
- Professional Engineer (PE) in NY, CA, and TX
- US Green Building Council - Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED AP)
- Project Management Institute (PMI) - Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Senior Design Engineer, LESLIE E. ROBERTSON ASSOCIATES RLLP (LERA), New York, NY
- Project Engineer, KAL KRISHNAN CONSULTING SERVICES, INC. (KKCS), Oakland, CA
- Structural Engineer, SKIDMORE, OWINGS & MERRILL LLP (SOM), San Francisco, CA
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Structural Engineers Association of Northern California (SEAONC)
- SIGMA XI
Publications & Professional Activities
Li, N., Fang, H., Zhang, C., Gutowski, M., Palta, E., and Wang, Q. (2015). “A numerical study of occupant responses and injuries in vehicular crashes into roadside barriers based on finite element simulations.” Advances in Engineering Software, 90, 22-40.
Leo Braxtan, N., Whitney, R., Wang, Q., and Koch, G. (2015). “Preliminary investigation of composite steel box girder bridges in fire.” Bridge Structures-Assessment, Design and Construction, 11(3), 105-114.
Fang, H., Wang, Q., and Weggel, D. (2015). “Crash analysis and evaluation of cable median barriers on sloped medians using an efficient finite element model.” Advances in Engineering Software, 82(1), 1-13.
Wang, Q., Fang, H., Li, N., Weggel, D.C., and Wen, G. (2013). “An efficient FE model of slender members for crash analysis of cable barriers.” Engineering Structures, 52, 240-256.
Li, Q.S., Zou, X.-K., Wu, J.R., and Wang, Q. (2011). “Integrated wind-induced response analysis and design optimization of tall steel buildings using Micro-GA.” The Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, 20(8), 951-971.
Zou, X.-K., Wang, Q., Li, G., and Chan, C.-M. (2010). “Integrated reliability-based seismic drift design optimization of base-isolated concrete buildings.” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 136(10), 1282-1295.
Wang, Q., Fang, H., and Zou, X.-K. (2010). "Application of Micro-GA for optimal cost base isolation design of bridges subject to transient earthquake loads." Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 41(5), 765-777.
Bi, J., Fang, H., Wang, Q., and Ren, X. (2010). “Modeling and optimization of foam-filled thin-walled columns for crashworthiness designs.” Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, 46(9), 698-709.
Caspe, M., Ji, J., Shen, L., and Wang, Q. (2009). "Choosing the right antiterrorism crash barrier." Security Management Journal, November 2009.
Wang, Q., and Arora, J.S. (2009). "Several simultaneous formulations for transient dynamic response optimization: an evaluation." International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 80(5), 631-650.
Kim, H.-J., Wang, Q., Rahmatalla, S., Swan, C.C., Arora, J.S., Abdel-Malek, K., and Assouline, J.G. (2008). “Dynamic motion planning of 3D human locomotion using gradient-based optimization.” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, ASME, 130(3): 031002.
Zou, X.-K., Chan, C.-M., Li, G., and Wang, Q. (2007). "Multi-objective optimization for performance based design of reinforced concrete frames." Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 133(10), 1462-1474.
Xiang, Y.-J., Wang, Q., Fan, Z., and Fang, H. (2006). "Optimal crashworthiness design of a spot-welded thin-walled hat section." Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, 42(10), 846-855.
Chan, C.-M., and Wang, Q. (2006). "Nonlinear stiffness design optimization of tall reinforced concrete buildings under service loads." Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 132(6), 978-990.
Wang, Q., and Arora, J.S. (2005). “Alternative formulations for transient dynamic response optimization.” AIAA Journal, 43(10), 2188-2195.
Honors & Awards
- UTRC Grant 49198-28-26: Analysis of Curved Weathering Steel Box Girder Bridges in Fire (August 1, 2014 - October 31, 2015) Project PI Nicole Leo Braxtan; Co-PIs Qian Wang and Reeves Whitney; http://www.utrc2.org/research/projects/analysis-curved-weathering-steel-box
JOURNAL PEER REVIEWER
- Advances in Structural Engineering
- International Journal of Crashworthiness
- International Journal of Design Engineering
- International Journal of Human Factors Modeling and Simulation
- International Journal of Robotics and Automation
- International Journal of Vehicle Design
- International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering
- Journal of Engineering Structures
- Journal of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization
- Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE
- Journal of Civil Engineering and Construction Technology
- Journal of Engineering and Technology Research
• CIVL 415 Civil Engineering Projects
• CIVL 409 Reinforced Concrete
• CIVL 309 Steel Design
• CIVL 302 Structural Analysis I
• CIVL 201 Introduction to Civil Engineering
• ENGS 206 Statics
• ENGS 116 Introduction to Engineering Computation
• ENGS 115 Introduction to Engineering