Department : Management / Marketing
Email : email@example.com
Phone : 718-862-3862
Office : DLS 505
PHD, Columbia University
MBA, Northwestern University Illino
BBA, John Cabot Univ:Rome
Prior to joining academia, I worked as a consultant at McKinsey and Co., and an investment banker at Citi. I was also a Post Doctoral Scholar with the Center for Research on Environmental Decisions at Columbia University. I've been teaching management at Manhattan College since 2010.
I study the influence exerted by social factors on individual and organizational tradeoffs in social and environmental dilemmas. Humans decision making is thoughtfully irrational – we, as is shown by my research, sacrifice to cover up for a lazy group member on one hand, but absolutely take advantage of a weaker competitor on the other. A vital goal in this research is to model real world decisions within their social contexts to create interventions and best practice models that can enhance decision maker effectiveness. To that end, I work extensively with agribusinesses in the Argentine Pampas to capture the environmental and social consequences of human economic decisions. My multi-method research combines lab and field experiments to study the role of social context and relationships in highly competitive situations. It is funded by the National Science Foundation and has been published in both business and psychology journals.
- Elected Representative-at-Large and Board Member, International Association for Conflict Resolution
- Contributor and Invited Member, Integrated Network for Social Sustainability
- Member, Academy of Management,
- Member, International Social Dilemma Network,
- Member, Society of Judgment and Decision Making,
- Member, Society of Case Research,
- Member, International Association for Applied Psychology
Publications & Professional Activities
Peer Reviewed Publications:
- Arora, P., Logg, J., Larrick, R., (2015) “Acting for the Greater Good: Identification with Group Determines Response to Defection in Sequential Dilemmas”, Journal of Behavioral Decision Making. doi: 10.1002/bdm.1892
- Arora, P., Bert, F., Podesta, G., Krantz, D., (2015) “Ownership Effect in the Wild: Influence of Land Ownership on Economic, Environmental & Social Goals and Decisions in the Argentine Pampas”, Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics. 58 (Oct.), 162-170
- Arora, P., Hanges, P., Bruzzone, A. (2014), “The Human Side of Logistics”. Journal of Critical Incidents, 7, 125-127. Winner of Best Critical Incident Award
- Arora, P., Predmore, C. (2013). “Social Media as a Strategic Tool: Going Beyond the Obvious”. In Emerald Advanced Series in Management: Social Media and Management, Eds. Bondarouk, T., & Olivas-Lujan, M., Emerald Publishing.
- Arora, P., Peterson, N.D., Krantz, D.H., Hardisty, D.J., Reddy, K.S. (2012). “To Cooperate or Not to Cooperate: Using New Methodologies and Frameworks to Understand How Affiliation Influences Cooperation in the Present and Future”, Journal of Economic Psychology, 33(4), 842-853, doi: 10.1016/j.joep.2012.02.006
- Appelt, K. C., Zou, X., Arora, P., & Higgins, E. T. (2009). “Regulatory fit in negotiation: Effects of "prevention-buyer" and "promotion-seller" fit”. Social Cognition, 27(3), 365-384
- Krantz, D., Peterson, N., Arora, P., Milch, K., Orlove, B. (2008) “Individual Values and Social Goals in Environmental Decision Making,”Decision Modeling and Behavior in Uncertain and Complex Environments, Eds. Kugler, T. Smith, J.C., Connolly, T., Son, Y. J., Springer Press, 165 - 198.
- Alamgir, M., and Arora, P., (1991) Providing Food Security for All, New York University Press, NY.
Op-Ed, New Castle Now: Game Theory and Public Hearings: A Decision Theorist’s Perspective, December 3, 2012
Columbia University, Climate Center Blog: Do I Want It In My Backyard? Yes, I Do!, January, 2012
Article Requested By the Asociación Argentina de Consorcios Regionales de Experimentación Agrícola for their members: “Now Why Did I Just Do That? Understanding the Underlying Motivations That Influence our Decisions”, 2012
Communications Guide: The Psychology of Climate Change Communication: A Guide for Scientists, Journalists, Educators, Political Aides and the Interested Public. Contributors: D. Shome, S. Marx, K. Appelt, P. Arora, R. Balstad, K. Broad, A. Freedman, M. Handgraaf, D. Hardisty, D. Krantz, A. Leiserowitz, M. LoBuglio, Published by CRED, Columbia University, 2009.
Peer Reviewed Conference Proceedings:
Arora, P., and Rovenpor, J., “Laying the Foundation For Career Success: The Role of the Internship in Developing Professional Voice, Eastern Academy of Management Annual Meeting Proceedings”, Philadelphia, May 2015
Arora, P., Bert, F. and Podesta, G., “Influence of Land Ownership on Agribusiness Goals and Decisions in the Argentine Pampas”. Academy Of Management Annual Meeting Proceedings, Philadelphia, August 2014
- Arora, P., Logg, J., “Reciprocity or Compensation: Identification with Group Determines Response in Sequential Dilemmas”. Academy Of Management Annual Meeting Proceedings, Philadelphia, August 2014
- Arora, P., Rovenpor, J., “The Power of Poetry in Cultivating Responsible Leadership”, Proceedings of the 6th Developing Leadership Capacity Conference, Lancaster, UK, July 2014, Winner: Best Conference Paper Award
- Predmore, C., Arora, P., “When The Journey is the Destination, It is Never Over: The Legacy of India’s First Prime Minister”, Proceedings of the 6th Developing Leadership Capacity Conference, Lancaster, UK, July 2014
- Arora, P., Logg, J., Larrick, R., “Doormat or Good Group Member: Identification with Group Determines Response in Sequential Dilemmas”. International Association for Conflict Association Conference Proceedings, Leiden, The Netherlands, July 2014
- Predmore, C.E. and Arora, P. “Social Media to Everyone? Not a Good Idea”, Proceedings of the 14th Annual International Conference, National Business and Economics Society, Costa Rica, March 2013.
- Arora, P., Krantz, D.H., Higgins, E.T., "Role Effects in Coordination: Collaborators and Competitors Choose Different Focal Points and Vary in Outcomes Obtained in Coordination", International Association for Conflict Management Conference, South Africa, July 2012
- Arora, P, Appelt, K., Higgins, E.T., “Role of Status in Strategic Choices and Outcomes in Negotiations”, International Association for Conflict Management Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, June 2010.
Honors & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Gabriel Hauge Faculty Fellowship, 2012 - 2016
- Beta Alpha Psi, Inspirational Leader Award, 2014
- Pen & Sword Society, Inducted 2013
- National Science Foundation Research Fellowship 2004 - 2009
- Principle Investigator on Multiple National Science Foundation Grants, 2010 - Present
- Manhattan College Summer Grants, 2013, 2016
- MBAC 622 Leadership and Organizational Behavior (Fall Only)
- MBAE 602 Research
- MGMT 201 Introduction to Management
- MGMT 450 Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- MGMT 475 Assimilating the Internship Experience in Management
- MGMT 470 Management Independent Study