PHD, New York University
MA, New York University
BA, The Ohio State University
My background is in film, television and new media production. I produced the award-winning short film Pancho’s Revenge, which has been screened at the Guggenheim, the Smithsonian, and on PBS. I wrote and directed the film A More Perfect Union, which has been screened at dozens of festivals, and has been used as a teaching tool at several universities. Currently, I consult on documentary story construction and trends in television audiences and programming.
My research interests include the emerging field of neurocinematics, bridging the disciplines of media studies and neuroscience. I am currently at work on the edited collection Media on the Brain
Producer, editor, video/broadcast/new media consultant, videographer, audio production, gaffer/grip for feature films, broadcast and cable television, music videos, regional and national commercials, and corporate video/multimedia; clients have included: Jonathan Demme, CBS, NBC, PBS, Lifetime, CourtTV, Motown Records, Forbes.com, The Yes Men, Bridge, Fox Lorber, among others
Publications & Professional Activities
- Naaeke, Anthony; Kurylo, Anastacia; Grabowski, Michael; Linton, David; and Radford, Marie L. (2011). "Insider and Outsider Perspective in Ethnographic Research," Proceedings of the New York State Communication Association: Vol. 2010, Article 9. Available at: http://docs.rwu.edu/nycsaproceedings/vol2010/iss1/9
- Grabowski, Michael. (2010). “Books 1.0: The Enduring Legacy of the Printed Word.” In D. Harmon (Ed.), Pop Culture Universe: Icons, Idols, Ideas. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO.
- Grabowski, Michael. (2008). “Lessons in Appealing to the Young Non-voter: Michael Moore’s Slackers Uprising Tour.” In B. Cogan & T. Kelso (Eds.), Mosh the Polls (pp. 95-118). New York: Lexington.
- Grabowski, Michael. (2002). “Merchants of Cool.” Rushkoff, D. (Prod./Dir.). Explorations in Media Ecology, 1 (2), 154-155. [Review].
- "Understanding PECMA: Joining Media Ecology and Embodied Cinema." Society for the Cognitive Study of the Moving Image Conference, Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY, June 2012.
- "Neurophysiological Correlates of Perception within Symbolic Environments." Media Ecology Association 2012 Annual Convention, Manhattan College, Riverdale, NY, June 2012.
- "The Voices on the Screen Become the Voices in Our Heads: An Ecological Model of Mediated Narratives." National Communication Association, New Orleans, LA, November 2011.
- “Biases of Digital Communication: Obscured Realities and the End of Frontier.” Media in Transition Conference 6: Stone and Papyrus, Storage and Transmission, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, April 2009.
- “Honesty, Ownership and Justice: Understanding the Cultural and Social Mores Influencing Students’ Perceptions of Copyright.” Media in Transition Conference 5: Creativity, Ownership and Collaboration in the Digital Age, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, April 2007.
- “Appealing to the Young Non-voter: Michael Moore’s Slacker Tour.” Eastern Communication Association, Pittsburgh, PA, April 2005.
- “Understanding Media Teaching: Effective Strategies For Integrating Theory And Production.” Eastern Communication Association Conference, Boston, MA, April 2004. [Short Course].
- Moderator & Presenter: “Digital Video vs. Film: A Technical Comparison.” New York New Media Association DV Expo, Madison Square Garden, New York, NY, June 2003.
- “See It Now: Creating a Political Community through Television.” Eastern Communication Association, New York, NY, April 2002.
- “Public Service or Nuisance? Television Newsmagazine Programs and their Audiences.” National Communication Association, Atlanta, GA, November 2001.
Other Scholarly Activities:
- Spring 2008 Scholar-in-Residence, New York University Center for Neural Science
Media Ecology Association
National Communication Association
Society for the Cognitive Study of the Moving Image
Independent Filmmaker Project, East
COMM 100 Television Production Company
COMM 223 Introduction to Broadcasting
COMM 308 Studio Television Production
COMM 350 Field and Post-Production
COMM 375 Internship for Juniors
COMM 409 Senior Seminar
COMM 419 Advanced TV Production
COMM 461 Independent Study in Communication
COMM 475 Internship for Seniors