Mary Ann Jacobs
Mary Ann Jacobs
Department : Education
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone : 718-862-7272
Office : MEM 411
Ed.D. in Education Leadership, St. Mary's University of MN
M.S. in Education Administration, Manhattan College
B.A. in PK-8 Elementary School Teacher, Felician College
- STEM Education
- Action Research in the Classroom
- Brain Compatible Teaching Strategies for P-16 Learners
- Technology Integration in the Classroom
- Leadership in Education
- NSF Grant Award #1439738 - Manhattan College Engineering Scholars Training and Retention (STAR) Center - Robert Noyce Scholarship Grant
- Action Research in the Classroom: Helping Teachers Assess and Improve Their Work
- Engineering Education for STEM Teachers P-20
On-going Action Research: with EDUC 403 students
2016 Jasper Summer Research Scholars - Project Idea: Using Engineering Hands-On Projects to Teach Middle and High School Mathematics – Faculty Advisor for Catherine Meagher, Manhattan College.
2014 Jasper Summer Research Scholars – Project Title – Literacy and Resiliency: Tackling Math Word Problems at In-Tech Academy - Faculty Advisor for Emily Ude, Manhattan College
- American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) – 2016
- New York State Coalition for Independent and Religious Schools (NYSCIRS) Network Team Initiative - August 2012 – present
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE) – 2012 – present
- New York State Association for Computers & Technologies in Education (NYSCATE) – 2012-present
- Metropolitan Council for Educational Administration Programs (MCEAP) – 2010-present
- Collegiate Association for Developing Educational Administrators (CADEA) – 2010 – present
- Catholic Higher Education Supporting Catholic Schools (CHESCS) – 2010-present
- National Catholic Educational Association 1989 – Present
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development - 1989 – July 2012
- New Jersey Permanent Teaching Certificate
- New York Permanent Teaching Certificate
- New York School Administrator/Supervisor
- New York School District Administrator
- New Jersey School Supervisor
- New Jersey School Principal/Administrator
Publications & Professional Activities
- Jacobs, M.A. & Cooper, B. S. (2016). Action Research in the Classroom: Helping Teachers Assess and Improve their Work. Latham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Jacobs, M.A. (2015). By their pupils they’ll be taught: Using critical incident questionnaires as feedback. Journal of Invitational Theory and Practice 21, 11-24.
- Ladda, S. & Jacobs, M. A. (2015). The A, B, and C’s of literacy: Interdisciplinary is key! Journal of Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance86 (8), 5-7.
- Jacobs, M. A. (2015). Catholic school mentoring for mission and ministry. In C. McCray & B. S. Cooper (Eds.), Mentoring with Meaning: How Educators Can Be More Professional and Effective (pp 49-68), Latham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Jacobs, M.A., Ude, E. & Toscano, L. (2014). Math in motion: Learning math in a physically active environment. Journal of Physical Education and Sports Management 1(2), 1-8.
- Jacobs, M. A. (2014). Independent study as action research: learning from experience. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 5(12), 65-73. http://ijbssnet.com/journals/vol_5_no_12_november_2014/7.pdf
- Jacobs, M. A. (2012). Moving from reporting grades to reporting learning: Transparency in process. Momentum, September/October 2012, 30-33.
- Jacobs, M.A. (2012). Deep learning takes root: A commitment to improve math instruction results in a multilayered learning community. Journal of Staff Development 33(4), 36-39.
- Jacobs, M.A. (2009). The integration of technology in the self-contained classroom. In W. Merriman & A. Nicoletti (eds.). Using Technology in 21st Century Schools (pp. ) Washington, DC: National Catholic Educational Association.
- Jacobs, M.A. (2000). Achieving the state of the art in Catholic school teaching. Momentum, Nov/Dec 2000.
- Jacobs, M.A. (1998). Is your learning environment brain compatible? Today’s Catholic Teacher, Jan/Feb 1998.
- Jacobs, M. A. (1997). Reading remediation through the use of brain compatible instruction - publication with ERIC/CS, Summer, 1997 ED410525.
- Jacobs, M. A. (1995). Orchestrating learning through brain compatible instruction - publication with Technology Committee of New York State Teacher Centers, Spring, 1995.
- Shabazi, Z., Jacobs, M.A., Lehnes, A., & Mancuso, K.C. (2016, August). Designing integrated STEM education: Linking STEM teachers and learners in a K-20 Continuum. Paper presented at IDETC/CIE 2016 ASME 2016 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, Charlotte, NC.
- Jacobs, M.A., Lehnes, A., Mancuso, K.C. & Shabazi, Z. (2016, June). Engineering ambassadors: Bridging the gap between engineering and education undergraduates and middle and high schools students. Paper presented at the meeting of ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, New Orleans, LA.
- Jacobs, M.A., Lehnes, A., Mancuso, K.C. & Shabazi, Z. (2016, June). Hands-on STEM lesson plans developed through engineering faculty and STEM teacher collaboration. Paper presented at the meeting of ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, New Orleans, LA.
- Jacobs, M. A., Kushner, R. (2015). Professional learning communities or powerful learning commitment? Presenter at the National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA) Convention & Expo, Orlando, FL, April 7, 2015.
- Jacobs, M.A., & Shabazi, Z. Best practices learned from Manhattan College engineering scholars training and retention STAR program. International Symposium on Lasallian Research. Minneapolis, MN: September 27-29, 2015.
- Forward looking math with backward design. Presenter at National Catholic Education Association (NCEA) Annual Convention, Pittsburgh, PA, April 22, 2014.
Honors & Awards
Grants & Awards
- NSF Robert Noyce Scholarship Grant - Manhattan College Engineering Scholars Training and Retention (STAR) Center, July 2014 #1439738
Environmental Awareness Grant $1,000.00 – Middlesex County Freeholders - - Fall, 2007
- NCLB Staff Development Grant - $21,657.00 – Spring 2006
- Provident Bank Foundation – Grant - $10,000.00 – Science Lab – Spring, 2005
- Austin McNally Make-a-Wish Fund – in memory of a student - $6,848.00 – Summer 2006
- Our Lady of Fatima Tuition Scholarship Fund - $10,845.00 - 2005-2007
- Strathmore's Who's Who, 2015
- Cambridge Who’s Who, 2010
- Global Directory of Who’s Who, 2005
- Who's Who Among America's Teachers, Spring, 1992
- Kappa Delta Pi, Fall, 1990
- EDUC 201 Principles and Practices of Education
- EDUC 206 Planning and Assessing for Learning in Secondary Schools
- EDUC 360 Language and Literacy
- EDUC 376 Curriculum and Methods of Teaching English Grades 7-12
- EDUC 377 Curriculum and Methods of Teaching Social Studies Grades 7-12
- EDUC 378 Curriculum and Methods of Teaching Mathematics Grades 7-12
- EDUC 379 Curriculum and Methods of Teaching Foreign Language Grades 7-12
- EDUC 380 Curriculum and Methods of Teaching Science Grades 7-12
- EDUC 403 Reading in Content Area Secondary Education
- EDUC 418 Seminar, Observation and Student Teaching in Elementary School, Grades 1-3
- EDUC 438 Seminar, Observation and Student Teaching in Elementary School, Grades 4-6
- EDUC 453 Seminar, Observation and Student Teaching Grades 7-9
- EDUC 454 Seminar, Observation and Student Teaching Grades 10-12
- EDUG 738 Evaluating School Effectiveness
- EDUG 745 Curriculum Development and Adaptation
- EDUG 747 Supervision for the Improvement of Instruction