Luis Loyola, PHD
Luis Loyola, PHD
Department : Sociology
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone : 718-862-7128
Office : MGL 416
PHD, CUNY: The Graduate Center
MA, CUNY Hunter College
MPHIL, CUNY: The Graduate Center
- "The Process of Socio-cultural Change in a Tzeltal-Maya Municipality in Chiapas, Mexico." Summer Field Research, Manhattan College, August 1990.
- Field research in Chiapas, Mexico for Ph.D. dissertation, February 1985 to July 1986.
- "Hispanic Subjective Culture," Research Project. H. C. Triandis, Principal Investigator, Department of Psychology, University of Illinois, June to October 1981. Responsibilities included recruiting and interviewing Latino subjects.
- "Cambio fuerza de trabajo esclava a fuerza de trabajo asalariada: estudio comparativo sobre la abolición de la esclavitud en Puerto Rico y Cuba." M.A. thesis.
- "El concepto de la elite y su relación con la composición social de la legislatura puertorriqueña." B.A. thesis, October 1976 to May 1977. Responsibilities included interviewing, analysis of questionnaires and census data.
- Manhattan College, Department of Sociology. Assistant Professor, 1988-1994; Associate Professor, 1994 to present.
- Livingston College - Rutgers University, Department of Puerto Rican and Hispanic Caribbean Studies. Lecturer, 1987.
- Hostos Community College - C.U.N.Y., Department of Behavioral Sciences. Lecturer, 1982 to 1985, 1986 to 1987.
- Baruch College - C.U.N.Y., Department of Anthropology. Lecturer, 1984 to 1985.
- Queens College - C.U.N.Y., Department of Anthropology. Lecturer, 1983 to 1984.
- Lehman College - C.U.N.Y., Department of Puerto Rican Studies. Lecturer, 1981 to 1982;
- Assistant Adjunct Lecturer, 1988 to 1989.
Publications & Professional Activities
- "Cognitive and Linguistic Abilities of Puerto Rican Bilingual Children: Implications for Assessment." Published in The Journal of Educational Issues of Language Minority Students. Vol. 8 (Spring 1991):31-52. Authors: Jaime L. Loyola, David F. McBride and Luis J. Loyola.
- "The Use of Alcohol among Indians and Ladinos in Chiapas, Mexico." Published in Drugs in Third World Societies, Edmundo Morales, ed. Pp.125-148. Williamsburg, VA: Studies in Third World Societies, 1988.
- "Individual Models of Social Behavior." Published in Journal of Personality and Social Psychology Vol. 46, No. 6 (June1984): 1389-1404. Authors: Harry C. Triandis, Chi-Chiu Harry Hui, Rosita Daskal Albert, Seung-Ming Leung, Judith Lisansky, Rosaldo Diaz-Loving, Luis Plascencia, Gerardo Marín, Hector Betancourt and Luis J. Loyola-Cintrón.
- "Race and Class: National Identity in the Sport of Skeet Shooting in Puerto Rico." Presented at the Latin American Studies Association 2000 International Congress, Miami, Florida.
- "The Zapatista Revolution and NAFTA: Myth or Reality." Presented at the American Anthropological Association 1998 Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, P.A.
- "New York City Casitas: The Anthropology of Puerto Rican Food." Presented at the Latin American Studies Association 1995 International Congress, Washington, D.C.
- "Symbols of Ethnicity, Race and Class: Puerto Rican Food Perceptions in N.Y.C. Through the American Eye." Presented at the American Anthropological Association 1993 Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C.
- "Culture and Social Change among the Tzeltal Highland Mayans." Presented at St. Michael's College, Oct. 28, 1993, Burlington, Vermont.
- "What the Lands Gives Me I Drink, that is Why God Made It." Response to "Integrating Methods and Models Across the Behavioral Sciences: Alcoholism." Presented at Manhattan College Arts and Sciences Faculty Development Lecture Series, April 15, 1993, Riverdale, N.Y.
- "Puerto Rican Family Structure, Women's Participation in the Labor Force and Intellectual Racism." Presented at the American Anthropological Association 1992 Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- "A Five Layer Pastelón: The Anthropology of Puerto Rican Food and Ethnic Relations in the U.S.A." Presented at the American Anthropological Association 1991 Annual Meeting, Chicago, ILL.
- "Ideology, Conflict, and National Identity in Southern Mexico." Presented at the American Ethnological Society 1991 Spring Meeting, Charleston, S.C.
- "Historia y Antropología de la Cocina Puertorriqueña." Presented at the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico Office in New York City, November 21, 1989.
- "Transportation and Regional Development in Southern Mexico." Presented at the American Anthropological Association 1989 Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C.
- "Producción del Café, Transportación y Desarrollo Económico en Chiapas, México." Presented at the Society for Applied Anthropology 1987 Annual Meeting, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Honors & Awards
- Puerto Rican Leadership Award, Kips Bay Boys & Girls Club, Bronx, N.Y., 1988.
- Ford Foundation Honorable Mention List, 1987.
- Graduate School - C.U.N.Y. Fellowship, 1979-1983.
- Magna Cum Laude, University of Puerto Rico, 1977.
- American Anthropological Association.
- Association of Latina/Latino Anthropologists.
- Association of Visual Anthropology
- National Endowment for the Humanities, Summer Institute on Mesoamerican Civilizations, 1991.
- Narcotic and Drug Research Inc. Pre-doctoral Fellowship, 1988.
- Fulbright-Hays Award, 1985-1986.
- National Science Foundation Award, 1985-1986.
LLRN 122 Roots: Sociology
SOC 150 Roots: Soci/Anthr-Modern Asia
SOC 150 Roots: Sociology - Gender
SOC 150 Roots: Sociology/Anthropology
SOC 150 Roots:Sociology
SOC 150 Roots:Sociology/Anthropology
SOC 201 Introduction to Sociology
SOC 202 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
SOC 204 Urban Anthropology
SOC 217 Visual Anthropology
SOC 317 Anthropology of Drugs
SOC 328 Societies and Cultures of Latin America
SOC 335 Culture, Health, and Illness