Lisa Anne Rizopoulos, PHD
Lisa Anne Rizopoulos, PHD
Department : Education
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone : 718-862-7879
Office : DLS 449
PHD, Fordham University
MS, Fordham University
BA, CUNY Lehman College
- The successful preparation of pre-service literacy teachers
- The effective integration of technology for ESL, ADHD and struggling literacy learners and other diverse populations.
- The integration of effective literacy strategies for the inclusive class.
- The development of assessment tools for self and student reflection and growth.
- The application of assistive and adaptive technologies for literacy learning and instruction.
- Publishing articles and conducting research focused on successful literacy strategies for the inclusive class.
- Developing creative and practical methods for using computer and telecommunication resources to improve literacy learning and teaching for a variety of students.
- Rizopoulos, L. McCarthy, P. (2009). Using online threaded discussions: Best practice for the digital learner in the Journal of Educational Technology Systems, Vol. 37 (4) 373-383 Baywood Publishing Co.
- Rizopoulos, L. (2009). Using technology to develop literacy skills, Using Technology in 21st Century Schools, The National Catholic Educational Association, edited by William Merriam and Augustine Nicoletti. p. 95-109
- Wolpert, G. Rizopoulos, L. (2009). Time to tap into technology in Educator’s Voice, Vol. 2, spring, 2009 p. 68-75, New York State United Teachers
- Rizopoulos, L. , Nicoletti, A. (2009). Pre-service teachers’ reflections on effective strategies for teaching ESL students in The Journal of Latinos and Education. Vol. 8, issue 1 p. 67-76, Routledge Publishers
- Rizopoulos, L. (2008). Counting on accountability: Outcome-based assessment, Understanding and Teaching Today’s Students, the National Catholic Educational Association, edited by William Merriman and Augustine Nicoletti, p. 125-136
- Rizopoulos, L. (2005). Journals help students make personal connections to scripture, Momentum, September/October, 2005. Vol XXXVI No. 3 p. 76-79
- Rizopoulos, L. (2004). An inquiry-based, multimedia approach to literacy and curriculum development: Preparing secondary pre-service teachers for the 21st century. Theories and Practice. The Utah Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, Volume XV, summer, 2004, Constructive Acountability: Creating a Culture for Progress. p. 9-12
- Rizopoulos, L. (2004). Learning from content area textbooks – strategies for the inclusion classroom The Reader – The Journal of the Arkansas Reading Association v.28m Summer, p. 25-28.
- Rizopoulos, L. (2004). Traditional and innovative approaches to fluency development: The neglected area of the curriculum. The Language and Literacy Spectrum – The Journal of the New York State Reading Association. V. 14, spring, 22-30. Internet site: http://www.nysreading.org/Publications/llsv14spring2004.pdf
- Rizopoulos, L. Wolpert, G. (2004). An overview of the techniques used to develop the literacy skills of adolescents with developmental delays. Education, v. 125 fall, 2004 No. 1 p. 130-136
- Rizopoulos, L. (2005) Equity and diversity resources, Vistas Education Journal, published by Kappa Delta Pi, the honor society in education. (The Journal of Education at Manhattan College)
- Rizopoulos, L. (2005): Developing literacy skills through the use of computer assisted instruction- resources for the general education teacher Written by: The Reading in the Content Area Class (402) Edited by Dr. Lisa Anne Rizopoulos, Vistas Education Journal, published by Kappa Delta Pi, the honor society in education.
- Rizopoulos, L. (2004). An interview with multicultural author Denize Lauture, Stories that highlight Haitian culture. Vistas Education Journal, published by Kappa Delta Pi, the honor society in education.
- Rizopoulos, L (2003) Teaching literacy development through an inquiry-based, multimedia approach Vistas Education Journal, published by Kappa Delta Pi, the honor society in education. Vistas Journal of the School of Education, 14-16
- Rizopoulos, L. (2003) Stories of hope and peace Vistas Education Journal, published by Kappa Delta Pi, the honor society in education. Vistas Journal of the School of Education, 29
Proceeding Of A Conference:
- Rizopoulos, L. (2005) Vocabulary for the inclusive classroom. Audio taped presentation for the International Dyslexia Association archives. (peer reviewed).
Local Presentations- Manhattan College
- Rizopoulos, L. (2007). Vocabulary strategies for the inclusion classroom. St. Thomas Aquinas College/The Rockland Reading Council
- Rizopoulos, L. (2006). Comprehension strategies that get students thinking. St. Thomas Aquinas College/ The Rockland Reading Council
- Rizopoulos, L.(2005). Balanced literacy. Presented for Kappa Delta Pi and the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development. (April 13, 2005)
- Rizopoulos, L. (2005). Famous women in history for Project Americana – The Yonkers Public School District April, 2005 and May 24, 2005
- Rizopoulos, L. (2005). Adapting literature circles for the inclusive classroom. Presented at the New York City Association of Assistant Principals Supervision – English (NYCAAPSE) – Our Mutual Estate: Looking Both Ways: Literary Perspectives Theme: Literature and Teaching Literature, May 24, 2005
- Rizopoulos, L. (2005). Using technology for inquiry and literacy development. Intec Middle School, Bronx, NY March, 2005
- Rizopoulos, L.(2005). A Multisensory approach to vocabulary development. Presented at the St. Thomas Aquinas Literacy Extravaganza – The Rockland Reading Council, a chapter of the International Reading Association.
- Rizopoulos, L. (2004). Reading in the content areas. Presented and created for the Carmel School District. Workshops for district-wide staff development.
- Rizopoulos, L. (2004). Strategies for activating prior knowledge across the content areas. Faculty Development at Manhattan College, January, 2004
- Rizopoulos, L. (2004). Primary writing strategies. The Urban Special Education Leadership Collaborative Education Development Center, Inc. Building Literacy in the Primary Grades – Yonkers Public School District, August 14, 2004
- Rizopoulos, L. (2004). Effective strategies for teaching mysteries. Presented for the Rockland Reading Council (May 20, 2004)
- Rizopoulos, L. (2004). Curriculum Adaptation. Presented for the Special Education Training and Resource Center – the Yonkers Public Schools. (June 19, 2004)
- Rizopoulos, L. (2003). Personal reflections on student teaching. Student Teaching Commitment and Commissioning, August 26, 2003
- Rizopoulos, L. (2003). Literacy and your children – Effective at-home literacy strategies. Pelham Middle School, Pelham, NY January 8, 2003
- Rizopoulos, L. (2003). Reading in the content areas – An Emphasis on Comprehension and Vocabulary Development. Presented for the Archdiocese of New York, November, 2003.
- Rizopoulos, L. (2002). The writing process – helping children become fluent creative writers. Presented for the Yonkers Public School System – Staff Development Workshops (November 17, 2002)
- Rizopoulos, L. (2002). Education in urban communities: Startling statistics from the field. Social action workshop for Lois Harr. 2001 and 2002.
- Rizopoulos, L. (2002). Building a strong learning community (2 sessions) The 27th Annual Parents and Reading Conference (January 4, 2002) Manhattan Reading Council – An affiliate of the New York State Reading Association and chartered by the International Reading Association
- Rizopoulos, L. (2002). Informal/authentic reading assessment. Presented Community School District 11, Bronx, NY
- Rizopoulos, L. (2002). Strategies and activities for improving comprehension. Sacred Heart, Yonkers, NY (August 2, 2002)
- Rizopoulos, L. (2001). An overview of the volunteerism at the Manhattan College Learning Resource Clinic. Presented at the Institute for Catholic Identity: Called to Cure: Spirituality, Service, and Social Justice, Manhattan College, June 28, 2001.
- Rizopoulos, L. (2000). Primary writing strategies. Theme: Building Literacy in Primary Grades. Presented to The Urban Special Education Leadership Collaborative Education Development Center, Inc. The Yonkers Public School District (August 14, 2000)
Honors & Awards
- Acknowledged by the New York State United Teachers for an exemplary article submission to the Educator’s Voice. 2009
- Nominated for an Alumni Achievement Award from Fordham University, 2005-2006
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers – Awarded in September, 2005-2006
- Kappa Delta Pi – Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society in Education – Fordham University, Manhattan College
- Kappa Delta Pi – Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society in Education – Award for Scholarship and Leadership.
- Re-inducted into the Manhattan College Chapter of Kappa Delta Pi – April, 2004
- Acknowledged for co-sponsoring the Rockland Literacy Extravaganza (2002-Present) (2001-Present)
- Inducted in Kappa Delta Pi - Fordham University Chapter – 1999 and acknowledged for Educational Leadership 2005
- The International Reading Association
- The International Dyslexia Association
- Kappa Delta Pi
- The Association for Curriculum Development
- New York State Permanent Public School Teacher Certificate in Literacy (K-12)
EDUC 318 Curriculum and Pedagogy in the Elementary Classroom
EDUC 350 Independent Study Education
EDUC 353 Integrated Learning Grades 1-3
EDUC 354 Integrated Learning Grade 4-6
EDUC 401 Principles and Practices of Reading in Elementary School
EDUC 402 Reading in Content Area
EDUG 815 Curriculum, Assessment and Methods of Teaching English as a Second Language in Gen and Spe Ed