Department : Radiological Health Professions
Email : email@example.com
Phone : 718-862-7370
Office : DLS 437
M.P.A., Master of Public Administration, Long Island University, NY
B.S., Professional Studies, St. Joseph's College, NY
Certificate in Radiologic Sciences, Mercy Medical Center, NY
After looking into and applying to many fields, Nursing and X-ray Technology, I choose to start my career at Mercy Medical Center, Rockville Centre, NY. Upon graduation I had taken the National Certifiying Examination by the ARRT (American Registry of Radiologic Technologists) being certified in X-ray, Therapy and Mammography.
My first position was as an X-ray technologist or radiographer, at Syosset Hospital, which is now part of the NorthWell, North Shore LIJ Health Care Systerm. After several years, I returned to Mercy Medical Center, as a radiographer and radiation therapist. One year later I was offered the radiaition therapist position at Long Island Jewish MC, where I spent almost eleven years there, enjoying working with the students from Nassau Community College's Radiation Therapy Technology program, as a clinical instructor.
Teaching piqued my interest and became the Program Director at New York Methodist's Radiation Therapy Technology program in Brooklyn, NY. When Manhattan College decided to open a B.S. degree in Radiologic Technology in Therapy, I applied and became the first Program Coordinator of the program, and the program was the first BS degree program in NYS and eleventh nationwide. Between the two programs, seven years at NYM and going on eigthteen years at MC, I have graduated more than 160 students.
I am proud and honored to have these fantastic grads, who have become Radiation Physicists, Dosimetrists, Vet, Temp Agency Owner, Manages and of course radiation therapists, to be my colleagues and friends.
Most of all, so grateful that one of my grads, has taken over my positionn as Program Coordinator, Ms. Kayla Valentino, taking the program to the next level, as I enjoy my semi-retirement, as an Adjunct Associate Professor at MC.
I love reading, tutoring students upon request, teaching RadBio at MC, and taking care of my baby, Penny, an eleven year old German Shepard Dog. Life is good!
- Registered Technologist in Radiography, Therapy, and Mammography (ARRT)
- Technical Advisor, NYSDOH Radiological Bureau Advisory Board. A three-year volunteer term begins 2005 until 2008.
- Radiological Science Society at Manhattan College. The Moderator for Manhattan College’s Co-Curricular Club.
- Mentor: Advisor and Mentor for Manhattan College’s School of Business student, Brendan P. Zottl. His paper presented, “My Summer Internship as a Radiation Oncology Assistant.”
- Member of ASRT, American Society of Radiologic Technologists.
- Member of AEIRS, Association of Educators in the Radiologic Sciences.
- Member of NYSSRS, New York State of Society of Radiological Sciences.
- Member of ASTRO, American Society of Radiation Therapy.
- Member of AERT, Association of Educators in the Radiologic Technology of NYS.
Publications & Professional Activities
- Habenicht, JoAnne. Presidential Lecturer, “Radiation Therapy Technology, 101” At NYSSRS Meeting, Radisson Hotel, Corning, NY, November 3, 2012.
- "Henrietta Lacks, Who? Ethics and Morality" presented at South Nassau Communities Hospital, Oceanside, NY Second Annual Radiation Therapy Symposium, May 14, 2011.
- Guest Lecturer at Manhattan College’s, “Camp College,” for High School college candidates. August 7, 2004.
- Guest Lecturer at the Nassau Suffolk Society of Radiologic Technologists, at Northport VA Medical Center on January 31, 2004, “Breast Cancer and Radiation Therapy.”
- Guest Lecturer at Manhattan College in “Death As A Fact Of Life” classes, Spring 2005.
- Guest Speaker at High School Fairs.
Honors & Awards
Strathmore’s, “Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare,” 2013 – 2014
Inducted into Who's Who of America, 2011-2012
- Lambda Nu, Honorary Member in the National Honor Society for the Radiologic Health Sciences
- Pi Alpha Alpha - The National Honor Society of Public Affairs and Administration
Volunteered at Long Island Jewish Department of Radiation Medicine, summer 2015.
Consultor in the School of Education and Health – Dean’s Board of Consultors – Health Programs.
Donated to the ASRT Museum, the original first edition of, “Merrills, Atlas of Roentgenographic Procedures,” 1949, the first X-Ray technology books.
RHS 276 Radiation Therapy I
RHS 280 Radiation Therapy Internship I
RHS 317 Radiation Biology
RHS 355 Radiation Therapy II
RHS 356 Radiation Therapy III
RHS 357 Radiation Therapy Instrumentation
RHS 360 Radiation Therapy Internship II
RHS 361 Radiation Therapy Internship III
RHS 362 Radiation Therapy Internship IV
RHS 435 Radition Therapy Internship V
RHS 436 Radiation Therapy Internship VI
RHS 440 Radiation Therapy Colloquium
RHS 317 Radiation Biology