Department : Education
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone : 718-862-7106
Office : DLS 4FL
EDD, Columbia University
MA, Columbia University
BA, SUNY Stony Brook
- New York State Higher Education Task Force on Quality Inclusive Schooling
- Analysis of Reading and Math Methods for Children with Special Needs
- VISTAS – The Journal of the School of Education
- Professional Diploma Program in Autism
New York State Permanent Certification in :
- Special Education
- the young handicapped child
- Elementary Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Supervision and Administration of Schools
- School District Administrator
- Certification in Fast ForWord Computer Technology for Children
- Council for Exceptional Children Professional Special Educator Certification (PRSE)
Publications & Professional Activities
2012 Literacy Centers for the Inclusion Class: A Multiple Intelligences Perspective. With Rizopoulos, L. Language and Literacy. (in review)
2012 Changing Partnerships between Parents and Teachers since the New Millennium. Professional Journal of the New York Academy of Public Education. Summer, 2012.
2012 Assessing Narrative and Expository Reading Passages by Text and Online Presentation. With Rizopoulos, L. American International Journal of Contemporary Research. Vol. 2 No. 4, pp. 39 – 46.
2011 Use of an Interactive Collaboration Plan Form to Meet Collaboration and Communication Challenges in the Inclusive Classroom. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science. Vol. 1 No. 16, pp. 63 – 71.
2009 Using Technology to Enhance Literacy Skills at the Middle School Level. Educator's Voice, v. II, pp. 76 - 83.
2009 A Natural Approach to Differentiation, presented at Kappa Delta Pi Honor Society National Meeting. 47th Biennial Convocation, October. Orlando, Florida.
- 2008 Chapter entitled "Technology in Language Arts." In Merriman, W. & Nicolletti, A., Technology for 21st Century Schools. National Catholic Education Association. Chapter 7 (in press).
- 2007 Why are students with disabilities included in statewide tests? NYS Task Force on Inclusion, Touro College Press
- 2007 Chapter entitled "Teachers partnering with parents in the new millennium." In Merriman, W. & Nicolletti, A., Understanding and teaching today's students. National Catholic Education Association. Chapter 10, pp 109 -121.
- 2006 Successful daily practices of inclusion teachers of children with Down Syndrome. Riverbend Down Syndrome Parent Support Group, www.altonweb.com/cs/downsyndrome/
- 2004 An overview of the techniques used to develop the literacy skills of adolescents with developmental delays. Education, v.125, 130 -136, Fall.
- 2003 With McCarthy, P. Teaching children with autism spectrum disorder. Poster session presented at the NYS Federation of the Council for Exceptional Children Annual Convention. Tarrytown, NY, November, 2003
- 2002 Assistive technology. Presented at the National Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) conference. Albany, November 23.
- 2002 With McCarthy, P. Universal design for learning: Accessing information technology for persons with disabilities. Paper presented at the NYS Federation of the Council for Exceptional Children Annual Convention. Albany, NY, November 23, 2002
- 2002 Graduate student use of technology to assess and tutor at-risk children. Journal of Computing in Teacher Education (JCTE), v.18, Issue 2, 51-56.
- 2001 El éxito de las prácticas educativas diarias de los maestros de niños con síndrome de Down, en régimen de integración. Revista Síndrome de Down (Down Syndrome Review) 18(4): 110-114. Also, selected by the editor of Revista Canal Down 21 No. 10, January 2002, as Resumen del mes (summary of the month). Also, selected by La Fundación Síndrome de Down de Cantabria as a featured article.
- 2001 What general educators have to say about successfully including students with Down syndrome in their classes. Journal of Research in Childhood Education, v.16, No. 1, 28-38.
- 2001 A report to the Office of Vocational and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities on the Manhattan College Inclusion Grant Initiative Project, April.
- 2001 College students mentoring community kids on computers. Proceedings from the American Association of College and Teacher Educators. Dallas, March 3.
- 2001 Collegians, community kids and computers. Proceedings from the Association of Teacher Educators National Conference. New Orleans, February
- 2001 Successful Daily Practices of Inclusion Teachers of Children with Down Syndrome. Resources in Education. ERIC Document # ED 453 160.
- 2000 With McCarthy, P. Collegians, community kids and computers: A public / private learning collaboration. Paper presented at the Association of Teacher Educators National Convention, New Orleans, La., February, 2000.
- 1999 General educators' impressions on inclusion and students with developmental delays. Paper presented at the Northeastern Educational Research Association (NERA) national conference. March
- 1999 Effective teaching techniques: Conversations among teachers. Proceedings of the Annual Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) Conference. Long Island, February.
- 1998 The impact of successful inclusion practices on the developmentally delayed student. Paper presented at the Northeastern Educational Research Association (NERA) national conference. March
- 1998 Chapter entitled "The meaning of inclusion and Down syndrome." In Hassold, T., Down syndrome: A promising future together. New York: Wiley-Liss Inc., 197-202.
- 1996 Monograph and article, both entitled "The Educational Challenges Inclusion Study", published by the National Down Syndrome Society
- 1996 Current inclusion practices and children with Down syndrome. Presented at the National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS) International Conference in Tucson, July 17. (board reviewed for selection).
- 1988 Monograph and article, both entitled "Project Mainstream", published by the National Down Syndrome Society.
- 1987 Article entitled, Group vs. individual training for pre-vocational tasks with multiply handicapped. The New York Medical Quarterly, 7(1), 14-19.
- 1986 Published Dissertation entitled "Paternal Involvement and the Adaptive Behavior of Severely Retarded Children.", Teachers College, Columbia University.
- 1986 Manual entitled, Families and permanency planning for children with developmental disabilities. National Resource Center for Special Needs Adoption. Chelsea, Michigan: Spaulding Press. This material was used as an educational resource for caseworkers and trainers throughout the state.
- 1985 Article entitled, Brothers and Sisters of handicapped children: A literature Review. Sibling Information Network Newsletter, 4(2), September.
Honors & Awards
Chairperson, Department of Education (2005 – 2009)
Award of publication excellence, New York Academy of Public Education, May 2012
Publication acknowledgement award, Educator’s Voice, Spring 2009
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Council for Exceptional Children (member of awards committee)
- American Association of College and Teacher Educators
- Association for Retarded Citizens
- Association of Teacher Educators
- Association of Childhood Education International
- Northeastern Educational Research Association
- Kappa Delta Phi (Columbia Chapter)
- Board of Directors, Ardsley Community Nursery School
- Advisory Council Scarsdale Tremont Temple Nursery School
- Child Care Council of Westchester
- Center for Opportunities and Outcomes for People with Disabilities
- Best Buddies
- Vocational and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities (N.Y.C. liaison member)
- Young Adult Institute
- Junior Faculty Research Group, Manhattan College
- New York State Higher Education Task Force on Quality Inclusive Schooling (N.Y.C. liaison member)
EDUC 214 Education of the Young Child
EDUC 215 Early Childhood Student Teach
EDUC 301 Nature and Needs (Disabled)
EDUC 350 Independent Study Education
EDUC 351 Independent Study Education
EDUC 352 Independent Study Education
EDUC 355 Assessment of Learning and Behavior
EDUC 356 Assessment and Remediation of Math and Science
EDUC 357 Curriculum Adaptation
EDUC 408 Management of Behavior and Learning for At-Risk and Disabled
EDUC 444 Seminar, Observation and Student Teaching in Special Education
EDUC 446 Seminar, Observation and Student Teaching in Special Education, Grades 4-6
EDUG 781 Management Techniques and Curriculum for the At Risk and Behaviorally Disordered
EDUG 881 Psychoeducational Assessment of Autism Spectrum Disorder
EDUG 884 Independent Study-Autism Spectrum Disorder
EDUG 885 Internship: Teaching Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder