Veteran Student Admission

Manhattan College encourages veteran students to apply for admission. The following information details our process.

Apply for Admission to Manhattan College [+]

Admission to Manhattan College operates on a rolling basis which means that there is no set deadline to submit your application. Transfer students should apply as soon as they begin their final semester in their previous college or prior to leaving active duty. Once all required documents are received, it will take 2-3 weeks to receive your decision or a request for additional information.

For all branches excluding the Air Force, if the only coursework completd (aside from high school) is that work listed on the Joint Services Transcript, you should apply as a freshman.  Applicants that served in the Air Force and have a CCAF/Air University or Joint Services Transcript and anyone that has completed coursework online or at a college campus prior to/during/after your military service, will apply as a transfer student.  While a majority of the coursework from the Joint Services Transcript will not be transferrable, we do require that you submit the documents. The recommendation letter can be completed by a commanding officer, high school teacher, employer or college professor.

Military transcripts can be requested by visiting the Joint Services Transcript website.  If you attended The Air University/Community College of the Air Force (CCAF), you may also click here to retrieve your official transcript. Please mail all official military transcripts to:

Manhattan College
Office of Admissions
ATTN: Troy Cogburn, Director of Transfer Admissions
4513 Manhattan College
Riverdale, NY 10471

Review the Accepted Student Steps

Once you are accepted into Manhattan College, please contact Troy Cogburn, Director of Transfer Admissions at 718-862-7299 and email your DD 214 and Certificate of Eligibility to You will then need to complete the steps listed on the Accepted Students page.

Verify Enrollment

  • Once you receive your schedule for the semester, check your enrollment verification with VA eBenefits
  • Upon verification of enrollment by the Manhattan College certifying official, the VA will mail you an information packet detailing containing information on: current enrollment in credit hours, percentage of benefits receiving, and benefits remaining (in months and days)
  • Understand the Payment Timeline

Post-9/11 GI Bill Tuition

Tuition payments will be paid directly to Manhattan College. You can monitor the payments issued to the school by viewing your payment history on your eBenefits page, or by checking your student account by logging into Self Service.

Post-9/11 GI Bill Housing Allowance

Payments will be mailed or direct deposited after your first month of classes. Direct deposit can be set up by completing the VA 24-0296 Direct Deposit Enrollment form, or by accessing your VA ebenefits account. Direct deposit requests are generally processed within 3 working days.

Current Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH):

  • Beginning 2016 - $3,775 per month
  • To stay current on rates, use the Defense Travel BAH Calculator
  • Note: Your housing allowance is rated for an E-5 with dependents.

Montgomery GI Bill

After your first month of class is complete, make sure that your enrollment is verified using W.A.V.E. You will receive payment within two weeks of your enrollment verification from W.A.V.E.

Apply for Veteran Educational Benefits [+]

Apply for your benefits through the VA website. If you are eligible, you can transfer your Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) educational benefits to an eligible dependent.

After you have applied for Veteran Educational benefits on the Veterans Affairs website, submit the following documents to Manhattan College:

Manhattan College
Office of Admissions
ATTN: Troy Cogburn, Director of Transfer Admissions
4513 Manhattan College
Riverdale, NY 10471

Academic Requirements for Eligibility

Chapter 33

Rate of pursuit applies specifically to Chapter 33. It differs from training time, which is used for all other chapters. Schools certify actual credit. VA calculates rate of pursuit by dividing the number of credit (or credit hour equivalents) being pursued by the number of credit considered to be full-time by the school. The resulting percentage is the student’s rate of pursuit.

Examples: If full-time is 12 credits, then rate of pursuit for:

  • 6 credits (or credit equivalents) is 50% (6*12 = 50%)
  • 7 credits (or credit equivalents) is 58% (7*12 = 58%)

The housing allowance is paid if the student’s rate of pursuit is more than 50%. Rate of pursuit determines whether a student receives or doesn’t receive the housing allowance. If pursuit is greater than 50% and less than 100% the student receives a pro-rated amount of the housing allowance.

Chapters 30, 1607, 1606, 35, and 31

  • Full-time: 12 credits
  • 3/4 time: 9 to 11 credits
  • 1/2 time: 6 to 8 credits
  • Less than 1/2 time: 5 credits or less

Full-time equivalency is defined as regularly enrolled for 12 or more credit hours, full length of the term. Students certified for less than full-time will have their eligibility proportionately extended. Veterans registering for classes which meet for less than the standard 10-11 week session will be certified by the number of credits for the class and the class dates and paid accordingly.

In addition, if you are covered under the MGIB-Active Duty (Chapter 30), MGIB Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606), Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP, Chapter 1607) or Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP) you must verify your enrollment monthly using the W.A.V.E. system.

 You must have a current or active benefit award. These are records with activity in the last 12 months.

Yellow Ribbon Program & Scholarship Opportunities [+]

After receiving an acceptance letter, all students are encouraged to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you are a New York resident, you may also apply for the Veterans Tuition Award (VTA) and the New York Tuition Assistance Program (TAP).

Manhattan College is a participating school in the Yellow Ribbon Program. This tuition-benefit program includes both undergraduate and graduate study and either full- or part-time enrollment. Students will receive up to $25,000 per year, per student at the college, and there is no limit as to the number of students receiving the Yellow Ribbon award.

Below, we have provided a few listings of veteran specific scholarships. Check back regularly for additional opportunities.

  • Wyakin Warrior Foundation: Receive a college scholarship, assistance with living expenses and career guidance and mentorship as an OEF/OIF wounded Veteran.
  • Tillman Military Scholarships: Supports educational opportunities for Veterans, Service Members and their families by covering direct study-related expenses such as tuition, fees, books, room and board, and other needs, such as child care.
  • Sentinels of Freedom: Grants two to four year educational scholarships to Service Members who sustained injuries resulting in 60 percent or higher permanent disability.
  • Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Military Scholarship Program: Program of the VFW that provides scholarships for education or training to VFW members who are currently serving in uniform or have been discharged in the past 36 months.
  • Mattar Veterans Advocates Merit Scholarship: Applicants must be a servicemember or a spouse/dependent of a servicemember who wishes to continue their academic pursuits.
  • Scholarship Directory for Veterans
  • Graduate school scholarship opportunities for veterans
  • Scholarship opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students.

Veteran Student Services [+]


For any additional questions with regard to applying for admission to Manhattan College, please contact us at any time.

Troy L. Cogburn, Director of Transfer Admissions


                  An Approved Chapter of Student Veterans of America