Academic Advising FAQ

What is an academic advisor?

The first person to turn to for information on all academic and non-academic services. At Manhattan College, students are advised by professional advisors as well as faculty advisors. Advising information is available in each dean’s office.

What is add/drop?

This occurs during the first week of the semester. Courses may be added or dropped without penalty. Dropped courses do not appear on the student’s record.

What is withdrawal?

Dropping a course after the add/drop period. A “W” appears next to the course on the student’s record. A student must apply to withdraw from a course.

What is a minor?

A less detailed study of a particular discipline. A minor usually consists of 15 credits.

What is a prerequisite?

A course that must be completed as a preparation to take another course.

How many credits does the average student take in a semester?

Engineering students generally take 16–18 credits per semester in order to complete their degree in four years. See the Manhattan College catalog for the yearly credit allotment for your program. A minimum course load of 12 credits is necessary to be considered a full-time student. Be aware that full-time status impacts on financial aid, eligibility for family health insurance and residential status.

Can students change classes?

During the first week of each semester, you may add any course for which you are qualified, if it is appropriate to your program and is open. You may also drop a course. After the first week of classes, you may withdraw from a course but may not add any additional courses. Dropping a course without adding one may result in an overcharge and/or delayed graduation later on.

For complete information about academic advising in the School of Engineering, see the School of Engineering Advising Manual.