Br. David Trichtinger, FSC
Br. David Trichtinger, FSC
Counselor and Academic Advisor to Athletes
Br. David was born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA. He has been with us at Manhattan College since August of 2011. His hobbies and interests include sports, especially the NFL, MLB, NHL, and College Basketball, travelling, walking, exploring new neighborhoods, theatre and Broadway plays, and reading biographies and fiction. He is the proud uncle of 5 nephews, and 4 nieces.
- M.A. Human Development, St. Mary's University 2003
- M.S.W. Social Work (Criminal Justice/Administration), University of Pennsylvania 1984
- M.S. Counseling and Human Relations, Villanova University 1980
- B.A. Special Education, La Salle College 1976 (Maxima Cum Laude)
Areas of Expertise:
Counseling, adolescent behavior, loss and bereavement, athletics
On Becoming a Brother:
I was inspired by the Brothers of the Christian Schools who worked with me at Central Catholic in Pittsburgh and at La Salle College in Philadelphia. I joined the Aspirancy Program to consider the Brothers' life at the completion of high school and took first promises as a Brother in 1974 during the summer between my sophomore and junir year in college.
Are there other Christian Brothers who have been particularly inspirational to you?
The Brothers who inspired me are at various ministries in the legacy Baltimore District (now merged into the District of Eastern North America).
As a Brother, please describe one especially meaningful experience that you have had as a teacher, and another outside of teaching.
As a counselor, I had the opportunity to assist a student who was working through bereavement issues upon the death of his father from cancer.
As an assistant coach and moderator of the 2007 Calvert Hall baseball team, I contributed to a "dream season"-A team that captured the championship MIAA "A" league in Maryland and compiled a perfect 33-0 record.
What other places have you been assigned to as a Brother?
- La Salle College High School- Wyndmoor, PA
- Calvert Hall College High School- Towson, MD
- Brothers of the Christian Schools- Baltimore District
- St. Gabriel's Hall- Audubon, PA
- Central Catholic High School- Pittsburgh, PA
- Hudson Catholic High School- Jersey City, NJ
- Seton-LaSalle High School- Pittsburgh, PA
- De La Salle in Towne- Philadelphia, PA
Of all the places you have been assigned, which one has had the most impact on your life as a Brother?
St. Gabriel's Hall- Working as a child care worker with court adjudicated delinquent teenagers helped me to develop a sensitivity to the troubles facing young people, allowed me to develop my own intervention and helping skills, and led me to acquire the education and training to be actively involved in counseling and social work throughout my career.