Key Strategies for Achieving the Core Goals
Goal 3: We will ensure that our core identity as Catholic and Lasallian is vital and visible throughout the College.
1. Promote understanding of the Catholic intellectual, social, and educational tradition and the legacy of St. John Baptist de La Salle though curricular and extracurricular means.
- Create a Center for the Study of the Future of Education (CSFE), which will celebrate and extend the legacy of St. John Baptist de La Salle as it works to research, evaluate, and synthesize developments, evidence, and research on learning, teaching, and education, both K-12 and higher education.
- Strengthen and expand offerings in Catholic Studies, encouraging interdisciplinary courses and developing a minor in Catholic Studies.
2. Support an academic environment that encourages a dynamic quest for truth and assists students in the development of a mature understanding of the relationship of faith and reason.
- Strengthen the study of philosophy and encourage interdisciplinary engagements with philosophy, particularly in the area of ethics.
- Strengthen the study of religion and expand opportunities to learn about religion inside and outside the classroom through such means as the recently expanded Manhattan College Holocaust, Genocide, and Interfaith Education Center.
3. Embody our institutional commitment to social justice through activities that include and go beyond academic endeavors, promoting teaching and research that contributes to the cause of justice and the alleviation of human suffering.
- Support scholarship and teaching on topics identified as central to mission by the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools; namely, the plight of immigrants and displaced persons, and the plight of children in disadvantaged circumstances.
- Model and expect a commitment to service by all members of the community.
4. Engage the international Lasallian network to promote a global vision of Lasallian education and to provide opportunities for the development of Manhattan College students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
- Support and expand opportunities for student, faculty, and staff interaction with Lasallian institutions worldwide.